New to the Tour de France/Cycling? Click here

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Paul 8v

Re: New to the Tour de France/Cycling? Click here

Postby Paul 8v » Wed Aug 08, 2012 07:25 am

So basically they aren't reliable tests and they just do it as a gamble. Seems a very big risk though I take it the stage winner every day is tested, the rest are random or are they all tested throughout the course of the race?

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Wed Aug 08, 2012 07:26 am

Jonny_Trousers wrote:Could the organisers not have done any better than Lesley Garrett, a second-rate opera singer at the best of times, and her hideous, look-at-me, budget-last-night of the proms caterwauling?

Glad someone else noticed this, that was absolutely awful!

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Aug 08, 2012 07:44 am

Paul 8v wrote:So basically they aren't reliable tests and they just do it as a gamble. Seems a very big risk though I take it the stage winner every day is tested, the rest are random or are they all tested throughout the course of the race?

It's not so much reliability as inability to test for certain things.

If you know that there are no tests for a drug which massively improves your performance (like EPO during the '90s), there's very little risk.

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 09:45 am

If you fail a test you're either unlucky or stupid.

The other thing with drug testing is there isn't a big machine that sounds a horn and flashes a big read "EPO" sign for example. There is a degree of interpreting results.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks guys, understand it a bit better now!

harkins

Postby harkins » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:46 am

I lost interest in cycling a few years ago after getting dropped on several winter clubs runs (having only just got into the sport). But in the last few weeks I have caught a bit of the Vuelta and ToB on ITV4, been reading a Merckx book on holiday and watched the movie La Course en Tete. So now I have some questions.

In the old Merckx footage it is common to see the riders stopped at the road side taking a leak or even dashing out of a cafe after perhaps having had a 'sit down'. This doesn't appear to happen anymore. Is this because the riders food and liquid in take is more carefully controlled these days? After my experience of cycling, it was hard enough keeping up without stopping for a rest break!

The other thing that I have noticed comparing the recent race coverage and the Merckx era stuff, it all feels so much more controlled by people not on bicycles today. In fact, it feels almost Formula1 like and to me, I don't personally consider F1 a sport - more a science and business management contest. Is this a fair interpretation? Is race radio taking a lot of the skill of reading the race away from riders and removing a lot of the spontaneity and unpredictability from road racing?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:44 pm

harkins wrote:I lost interest in cycling a few years ago after getting dropped on several winter clubs runs (having only just got into the sport). But in the last few weeks I have caught a bit of the Vuelta and ToB on ITV4, been reading a Merckx book on holiday and watched the movie La Course en Tete. So now I have some questions.

In the old Merckx footage it is common to see the riders stopped at the road side taking a leak or even dashing out of a cafe after perhaps having had a 'sit down'. This doesn't appear to happen anymore. Is this because the riders food and liquid in take is more carefully controlled these days? After my experience of cycling, it was hard enough keeping up without stopping for a rest break!

The other thing that I have noticed comparing the recent race coverage and the Merckx era stuff, it all feels so much more controlled by people not on bicycles today. In fact, it feels almost Formula1 like and to me, I don't personally consider F1 a sport - more a science and business management contest. Is this a fair interpretation? Is race radio taking a lot of the skill of reading the race away from riders and removing a lot of the spontaneity and unpredictability from road racing?

Riders still need to take a leak. Usually they'll stop as a group with a truce called. Or race referees will turn a blind eye to riders drafting team cars to get back on.

Back in the day domestiques would have stopped at cafes and bars along the route and grabbed what they could in drink and food. Presumably there were no team cars.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 19:20 pm

harkins wrote:I lost interest in cycling a few years ago after getting dropped on several winter clubs runs (having only just got into the sport). But in the last few weeks I have caught a bit of the Vuelta and ToB on ITV4, been reading a Merckx book on holiday and watched the movie La Course en Tete. So now I have some questions.

The race radio debate, and the power meter debate, is an open can of worms. There are a few threads on both already...
viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12866589&p=17745691&hilit=radio#p17745691
viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12676237&p=15896713&hilit=radio#p15896713
viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12756760&p=16755964&hilit=radio#p16755964
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Oct 01, 2012 17:44 pm

Ok so after looking at the wikipedia entry for the uci pro tour series, is their a jersey the winner wears or something like the world champion or is it some sort of prize?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:47 am

Paul 8v wrote:Ok so after looking at the wikipedia entry for the uci pro tour series, is their a jersey the winner wears or something like the world champion or is it some sort of prize?

No, they just get a dodgy perspex trophy a la Phil Gil last year - and with the dubious honour of being handed it by Fat Pat

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/10/ ... rum_196540

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 pm

That is a dodgy perspex trophy. Not as dodgy as that earing though...

RoadPainter

Postby RoadPainter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 23:49 pm

If you're new to cycling and find yourself stood near Rick, please use what knowledge you have to teach him something about the sport.

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Fri Nov 02, 2012 16:12 pm

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 am

That explains it pretty well!

PiersCunliffe

Postby PiersCunliffe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:25 pm

Hello all.

New to TDF following and luckily my job has provided an amazing opportunity to cover the TDF photographically. Where can I get detailed route information? I have the general route overlaid the whole of France, but one where it tells me which road it actually travels along.

I ask because I have to break away from the tour from time to time to document other subjects, such as vineyards, luxury hotels, restaurant etc etc. I am submitting my proposal soon and the more details I can give to the Editor-in-Chief the better.

Any links and help greatly appreciated.

Piers.

Paul 8v

Postby Paul 8v » Mon Jan 07, 2013 19:48 pm

Sounds like a great job!

FJS

Postby FJS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 08:35 am

PiersCunliffe wrote:Hello all.

New to TDF following and luckily my job has provided an amazing opportunity to cover the TDF photographically. Where can I get detailed route information? I have the general route overlaid the whole of France, but one where it tells me which road it actually travels along.

I ask because I have to break away from the tour from time to time to document other subjects, such as vineyards, luxury hotels, restaurant etc etc. I am submitting my proposal soon and the more details I can give to the Editor-in-Chief the better.

Any links and help greatly appreciated.

Piers.

Congratulations on getting that assignment! The route details, including all road numbers, junctions, etc, is normally not published until May I think. That being said, for the mountain stages and the Corsican stages www.letour.fr has already published the elevation profiles of the route, which include mountain passes and towns/villages the route passes through. With a map you should be able to find out the precise route for those stages. For the other stages you can work out a rough possible route using the general route map, but it's a bit less precise...

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Sun May 12, 2013 18:40 pm

There used to be a UCI Pro Tour Jersey for the best overall rider some years ago; Mr Valverde was caught wearing one; not the only thing he was caught for ;)

I think that's Boonen's leg he seems to be touching; the Spaniard is scandalous!! :twisted:

jerry3571

Postby jerry3571 » Sun May 12, 2013 18:46 pm

Mr Dan Lloyd reviews today's stage-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZh6m-UgMRw

TakeTheHighRoad

Postby TakeTheHighRoad » Mon May 13, 2013 18:12 pm

jerry3571 wrote:There used to be a UCI Pro Tour Jersey for the best overall rider some years ago; Mr Valverde was caught wearing one; not the only thing he was caught for ;)

I think that's Boonen's leg he seems to be touching; the Spaniard is scandalous!! :twisted:

Is that Boonen? I thought Bettini was more fond of wearing white shorts with his WC jerseys.

Although I'm not sure Piti wore the PT jersey in 07/08, so maybe it is.
My Men 2016 - Cav, Swifty, Tomekke, Valv, Eddy Bos, Spartacus, Styby, Nibbles, G.

Return to “Pro Race”