Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
User avatar
97th choice
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:37 pm

Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby 97th choice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:23 pm

Buying these for the 10 year old's Carrera Blast, should I go 2.1 or 1.9?

Or just pick the cheapest which is 2.1 as this isn't much in it?
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

TimB34
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 15:02 pm

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby TimB34 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:18 am

I had a look at the Schwalbe website - the 2.1s are 670g and the 1.9s are 560g - 90g a tyre seems like a big difference!

I've recently been looking at 24" tyres to try and find slicks. Two things I've noticed are that you need to check the ETRTO (24" usually seems to be xx-507, but most thin slicks are xx-520) and you might need different tubes. That said, I'd get the 1.9.

othello
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby othello » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 am

You want the lightest weight tyres you can afford to cut down the rolling weight. The Carrera is pretty heavy anyway, and saving 180g of rolling weight going with the 1.9 is best.

I've put Rocket Ron 24" on my sons MTB. They are only 445g a tyre, even though they are 2.1. Difference with the old stock tyres was amazing, but they are pricey.
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23062
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby The Rookie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am

TimB34 wrote: Two things I've noticed are that you need to check the ETRTO (24" usually seems to be xx-507, but most thin slicks are xx-520) and you might need different tubes. .

You need to stick to 24 x a decimal number, a fraction is a different standard and different wheel sizes!

So a 24x1.5 is a different size tyre altogether to a 24x1 1/2.

User avatar
97th choice
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:37 pm

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby 97th choice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 13:21 pm

othello wrote:You want the lightest weight tyres you can afford to cut down the rolling weight. The Carrera is pretty heavy anyway, and saving 180g of rolling weight going with the 1.9 is best.

I've put Rocket Ron 24" on my sons MTB. They are only 445g a tyre, even though they are 2.1. Difference with the old stock tyres was amazing, but they are pricey.


I don't fancy the rocket ron's for grip though.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23062
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby The Rookie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 15:00 pm

Compared to the stock tyres they are probably a 100% improvement!

User avatar
97th choice
Posts: 2248
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 21:37 pm

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby 97th choice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 15:05 pm

True, But he's starting to ride natural trails with leaves/rocks/roots/mud that can also be steep and challenging in places so I would favour grip over weight (and price!) if a compromise is required.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

othello
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 23:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby othello » Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:42 pm

97th choice wrote:True, But he's starting to ride natural trails with leaves/rocks/roots/mud that can also be steep and challenging in places so I would favour grip over weight (and price!) if a compromise is required.


Nothing wrong with the grip on the Rocket Rons IMHO. My son has ridden a fair few different trail centres, on varying surfaces, winching up in the granny ring and flying down the other side. Never seen him slide or loose grip, and he doesn't hang about!
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

TimB34
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 15:02 pm

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby TimB34 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 23:18 pm

Just noticed two things - first I managed to get a simplz sum wrong and the 1.9 Black Jacks actually save 110g per tyre!

Second, the 24" RoRos are 18,95€ here http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... dell-.html Seems OK.

ModernProphets24
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 20:36 pm

Re: Schwalbe Black Jack 24"

Postby ModernProphets24 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 21:55 pm

dmr super moto? kenda small block 8? halo twin rail? there's a lot of half decent 24" tyres on the market (i just wish there were more really good ones...*sigh*)


Return to “MTB Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests