Just been hit by a car

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
sirlylos

Just been hit by a car

Postby sirlylos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:53 pm

I've just been hit. I was doing about 10mph as I approached a roundabout and the girl pulled out right in front of me. I hit the car, went over the bonnet and hit the deck. Nothing's broken but I'm bruised and battered and the bike is tottaled. The driver was hysterical.

I always thought it might happen...occupational hazard I suppose. It hurt like and I'm shocked.
1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
1997 - Specialized Hardrock
2003 - Specialized FSR XC
2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
2009 - Giant Defy 3
2010 - Voodoo Wanga
2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105

sev112

Re: Just been hit by a car

Postby sev112 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:02 pm

Hope you're ok mate
Sim happened to me 20+ years ago
Did the police turn up and caution the driver ?

sirlylos

Postby sirlylos » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:12 pm

No I got out of there, I wasn't badly hurt and I just needed to get out of there. A guy with a van took me home. I have since informed the police.
1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
1997 - Specialized Hardrock
2003 - Specialized FSR XC
2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
2009 - Giant Defy 3
2010 - Voodoo Wanga
2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105

wiffachip

Postby wiffachip » Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:37 pm

glad your ok, where exactly did it happen ?

ILM Zero7

Postby ILM Zero7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:04 am

numbers? car details, pictures, witnesses etc ? you're going to need them, and a doctors check up asap -
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
[b]Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

SheffSimon

Postby SheffSimon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:32 am

ILM Zero7 wrote:numbers? car details, pictures, witnesses etc ? you're going to need them, and a doctors check up asap -

+1...would have been better to get police there though...if only for any insurance related quibbles.

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

Every cloud has a silver lining

New bike time! :D

hope you're ok and I hope the insurance claim is swift. I'm still recovering from a fall just before Xmas. Unfortunately the rabbit that took me out wasn't insured.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:25 am

Same happened to me years ago, coming around a roundabout I saw an old lady waiting to pull onto the roundabout, its odd but I knew she was going to do it before she did it.

Sure enough, she just LOOKED PAST ME COMPLETELY and pulled onto the roundabout.

Luckily I only got "nudged" by the car, but it was enough to send me flying and the bike slamming to the ground, bike lights and batteries went everywhere - this was back with the old "Ever Ready" lights that looked like the ones that go on the sides of skips, they took two D batteries each. How about that for weight. :lol:

That was a yellow Specialized Rockhopper, no suspension, with Shimano Biopace aluminium chainrings (that became sharks teeth in no time as I recall), thumb shifters and a "U" brake on the back wheel, circa 1993 probably. :)
FOR SALE: Tinfoil hat (never used).

izza

Postby izza » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:13 pm

I had similar case and was fine (bruised and shaken) for the day but could hardly move the next day with back ache.

If you feel worse over the next few days get down the quacks and make sure they note it and can give you muscle relaxant and pain relief.

toasted whippet

Postby toasted whippet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:45 pm

Good reason to be in the CTC or British Cycling - they have lawyers to do the chasing for you.

PS hope you're ok sirlylos!

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:15 pm

PeteMadoc wrote:Unfortunately the rabbit that took me out wasn't insured.

But they caught it on CCTV....

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:19 pm

briantrumpet wrote:

That's the little fecker

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:26 pm

PeteMadoc wrote:That's the little fecker

Looks like you lost a bit of flesh there. Glad you recovered OK. Bet you wish you'd been wearing a helmet.

Silly Old Hector

Postby Silly Old Hector » Thu Jan 10, 2013 22:54 pm

briantrumpet wrote:

"It's a Killer Rabbit"......... :lol:
All the gear, but no idea...

Pross

Postby Pross » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 am

Glad you're in one piece. I hate roundabouts on the bike and as a highway engineer I know there is little that can be done to make them safer for cyclists. There's one on my commute home that serves a supermarket. I need to go straight on but that direction only leads to a few factories and the cycleway so people coming out of the supermarket don't seem to expect to have to give way. I reckon I have more cars fail to give way to me coming around it than do give way, even when I put my 1200 lumen light on strobe they somehow miss me. It's got to the stage where I treat it as though they have priority just to be safe!

pete_s

Postby pete_s » Fri Jan 11, 2013 15:57 pm

Pross wrote:I hate roundabouts on the bike and as a highway engineer I know there is little that can be done to make them safer for cyclists.

Are you sure?

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 16:20 pm

pete_s wrote:
Pross wrote:I hate roundabouts on the bike and as a highway engineer I know there is little that can be done to make them safer for cyclists.

Are you sure?

I like the theory, but I'd be interested to see the accident statistics on a large number of those over an extended period: it's one thing to give a theoretical priority to cyclists, it's quite another to change people's ability to see cyclists in complicated urban environments. I'm not entirely convinced that that layout would achieve its aim in the long term, unless drivers' perception and attitudes can be changed too.

But anyway, this is probably a debate that deserves its own thread.

DesB3rd

Postby DesB3rd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 16:52 pm

^^^ Looks like an invitation to get run over by a motorist who doesn't expect a cyclist to suddenly appear broadside across his exit...

But bad luck sirlylos... Same thing (driver came out of a side road) happened to me late November, but I got away with a buckled wheel & a bruised shoulder. Certainly made me feel a bit light headed for a couple of hours...
In spite of the clear cut scenario the old chap couldn't grasp that a competant and cycle aware ("I used to race for Team Mitsubishi") driver, as he understood himself to be, could be at fault; it sounds terrible but as I spoke to him I couldn't help thinking "I know you want to hang onto your independance but..."

disquieting_museeuws

Postby disquieting_museeuws » Fri Jan 11, 2013 19:31 pm

briantrumpet wrote:
pete_s wrote:

Are you sure?

I like the theory, but I'd be interested to see the accident statistics on a large number of those over an extended period: it's one thing to give a theoretical priority to cyclists, it's quite another to change people's ability to see cyclists in complicated urban environments. I'm not entirely convinced that that layout would achieve its aim in the long term, unless drivers' perception and attitudes can be changed too.

But anyway, this is probably a debate that deserves its own thread.

Virtually all (well in my experience) junctions look something like that in NL; motorists usually give way to bikes even if it's the motorist's right of way (the jagged teeth mean 'stop' for bikes and cars). I guess it all comes down to the old question of perception of what roads are for, and the fact that dutch drivers are expecting cyclists to be around.

Return to “The Cake Stop”