GPS Tracking Website?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Bustacapp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:32 pm

Is there any tracking websites out there that would allow someone to view my location whenever I'm out on a ride? For example, my wife could see where I am and decide whether or not to put my dinner on.

Thanks.

n4th4n007
Posts: 292
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 20:23 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby n4th4n007 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:33 pm

Google Latitude works well. Its been up and running for years and works pretty well on all smart phones. Whoever wants to track who just need a Google account.

User avatar
dodgy
Posts: 2689
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 15:09 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby dodgy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:53 pm

Or if you're an Apple house, friend finder works well (iPhone).

User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Bustacapp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:11 pm

n4th4n007 wrote:Google Latitude works well. Its been up and running for years and works pretty well on all smart phones. Whoever wants to track who just need a Google account.


Thanks I have tried this in the past but it doesn't work too well on my windows phone, I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.

Jimfrandisco
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:45 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Jimfrandisco » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:14 pm

Endomondo works really well. Have run it on windows phone and older nokia (symbian?).
Set up an account and while you're out, the missus can log on and see where you've got to - plus it tracks all the usual stats, speed, climbs, descents etc.

User avatar
ShutUpLegs
Posts: 3519
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 19:07 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby ShutUpLegs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:14 pm

Bustacapp wrote: I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.


Could be a gap in the market you've spotted, emale Garmin :?:
I Like Black Bikes

User avatar
OwenB
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby OwenB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:55 pm

Runtastic does that, you can track live on the home computer while the app runs on your phone

Wardster00
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 07:04 am

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Wardster00 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 19:28 pm

I'm not sure if I want my wife to track my rides, she might discover that every time I say that I have had a puncture is just an excuse to stay out on the bike longer than I said I would.

User avatar
Pumpkin Positive
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Pumpkin Positive » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:23 pm

Viewranger is a free app that I use routinely. It has a 'buddy beacon' that records your location at regular intervals (every 2 mins in my case) and then uploads them when a 3G signal is available. It's always worked flawlessly for me.

http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Bustacapp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:41 pm

Thanks all. Will check them out!

mbthegreat
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 20:17 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby mbthegreat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:29 pm

ShutUpLegs wrote:
Bustacapp wrote: I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.


Could be a gap in the market you've spotted, emale Garmin :?:


I think Garmin might be one step ahead of you there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yD-em6jp_0

User avatar
declan1
Posts: 2389
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 20:51 pm
Contact:

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby declan1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:53 pm

The new Garmins have a live tracking feature.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

User avatar
TheFD
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:08 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby TheFD » Fri Jan 11, 2013 07:27 am

mbthegreat wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:
Bustacapp wrote: I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.


Could be a gap in the market you've spotted, emale Garmin :?:


I think Garmin might be one step ahead of you there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yD-em6jp_0

That is awesome!!!
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Fri Jan 11, 2013 08:02 am

Is the gorilla tired yet?

User avatar
dodgy
Posts: 2689
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 15:09 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby dodgy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 am

mbthegreat wrote:
ShutUpLegs wrote:
Bustacapp wrote: I was wondering if there might be another similar service out there.


Could be a gap in the market you've spotted, emale Garmin :?:


I think Garmin might be one step ahead of you there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... yD-em6jp_0


Whoosh

User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Bustacapp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 am

ChrisAOnABike wrote:I use Real Time GPS Tracker on my phone.


Next question is: Will this run alongside Strava?

User avatar
y33stu
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 am

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby y33stu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am

I have the Friend Finder app, and when I'm out on a ride, I use my iPhone and Strava. I turn the 3G off to save the battery, which means that my wife can't find me, as the phone isn't sending a signal. Is this the case with the other apps mentioned?
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Mr Will
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:35 am
Contact:

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Mr Will » Fri Jan 11, 2013 13:07 pm

y33stu wrote:I have the Friend Finder app, and when I'm out on a ride, I use my iPhone and Strava. I turn the 3G off to save the battery, which means that my wife can't find me, as the phone isn't sending a signal. Is this the case with the other apps mentioned?


Are you serious? If you turn of the data connection nothing on your phone will be able to communicate with the outside world. It's a bit like saying I've turned wifi off on my laptop, why won't Google work any more?
2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra

User avatar
y33stu
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:33 am

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby y33stu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 13:44 pm

Mr Will wrote:
y33stu wrote:I have the Friend Finder app, and when I'm out on a ride, I use my iPhone and Strava. I turn the 3G off to save the battery, which means that my wife can't find me, as the phone isn't sending a signal. Is this the case with the other apps mentioned?


Are you serious? If you turn of the data connection nothing on your phone will be able to communicate with the outside world. It's a bit like saying I've turned wifi off on my laptop, why won't Google work any more?


Yes. I'm serious. As strava / other apps still work with no data connection to track my rides, I thought there may be another type of app that can pick up my GPS signal, and send this still without a data connection.
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

User avatar
Navrig
Posts: 1307
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 21:29 pm

Re: GPS Tracking Website?

Postby Navrig » Fri Jan 11, 2013 13:47 pm

Mr Will wrote:
y33stu wrote:I have the Friend Finder app, and when I'm out on a ride, I use my iPhone and Strava. I turn the 3G off to save the battery, which means that my wife can't find me, as the phone isn't sending a signal. Is this the case with the other apps mentioned?


Are you serious? If you turn of the data connection nothing on your phone will be able to communicate with the outside world. It's a bit like saying I've turned wifi off on my laptop, why won't Google work any more?


Not so.

GPS will work with the installed app (Strava etc) and will keep a record of where you have been. It simply wont be able to overlay your route on Google maps until you reconnect to the network via wifi or 3G.

The benefit is your battery will last much longer and, depending on your contract or location, you don't incurr charges or eat up your data allowance.


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Cyclist of Catan and 4 guests