New Shimano Seems Poor Quality

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
speedymoto

Re: New Shimano Seems Poor Quality

Postby speedymoto » Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:57 pm

Set up is spot on - I've just done a quick 20km & then put it on a workstand & gone over it with a fine tooth comb, everything was 100%. I lubed everything & then put it on a turbo trainer to create some resistance, turning the crank by hand I'm amazed at how rough it all feels, at first I honestly thought the turbo bearings had broken. It even sounds crap, If I put my ear to the frame it sounds like I've just ridden it out of the sea & up the beach, dropping it in a sand dune for good measure. Think I'll drop it into the shop & let them have a ride.

speedymoto

Postby speedymoto » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:09 pm

.....one more thing, I've noticed when I spin the rear wheel & look from above, the freewheel rocks from side to side in a wave like motion as if it isn't quite square with the hub, again it just doesn't match the quality I was expecting :(

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:27 pm

Absolutely sure it has a 10 speed chain on it??

Bengdogg

Postby Bengdogg » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:40 pm

I laid my hands on a 2012 Tiagra Group and I am blown away by the quality of it. I have Ultegra on my main bike and wasn't sure what to expect dropping down the ladder two tiers.

In fairness your complaint refers to a mix and match group as the new 105 is also very nice. I only have Shimano on my bikes because over the years I have tried other brands and find that the big S is always consistent in quality and performance. Not a dig at Sram or Campy as I am sure they are nice too but I have just never jumped over to them.

I personally am not a fan of FSA drivetrains though and their BB's are terrible quality. There stems.bars n seat posts are usually ok though

Zingzang

Postby Zingzang » Fri Jan 04, 2013 17:11 pm

DesWeller wrote:If current-model Shimano kit had been generally subjected to the sort of quality reduction in the OP then we'd have heard about it before now, don't you think? It's been out for quite a while.

I seem to recall there have been a number of threads on forums suggesting a decline in quality of 105 pedals, and suspicions have also been raised about the durability of some of their recent wheels.

Gazzetta67

Postby Gazzetta67 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 17:56 pm

What's the saying !!!! Shimano wears OUT Campag wears IN 8)

Marin Maniac

Postby Marin Maniac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 18:45 pm

The OP has a Bertie Basset groupset. Every non Shimano crank I've had (including FSA) runs louder.

I've got a complete 5700 group on my winter bike and its faultless.

To make a statement that the quality of Shimano has gone downhill when your groupset is made up of non series parts and other manufacturers is a bit silly.

Your wheels on the other hand I would take back. A pal of mine has the same wheels and they've run perfectly true out the box.

speedymoto

Postby speedymoto » Fri Jan 04, 2013 22:25 pm

It's a stock 2013 caad10, exactly as per their glossy 2013 catalogue. The only non-105 part is the fsa crankset which Cannondale use widely across their range. The chain is the one that came with the bike and is the recommended chain for the setup (according to wiggle)... not sure I see what's 'Bertie Basset' about it? Maybe I missed something...

I'm just stating the facts and it seems like I've got a bad egg somewhere in the works - to be honest I was expecting any replies to say "yeah that's completely normal for the first 300 miles", everything else was a bit tongue-in-cheek. My only comparison is a 20 year old mtb with a perfectly functioning silky smooth Deore XT groupset and I was surprised the new bike wasn't blowing me away with all those years of Dura Ace trickle down technology.

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 08:03 am

I think that a lot of folk have noticed that it's the build quality and the shifting that has gone down the pan, the shifting may still be precise but it's not as smooth as it was, this is probably down to the routing of the cable in 5700-7900 range.
As for FSA, there's nothing rough about the SLK light chainset, combined with a kmc chain this is probably one of the best chainsets I've used, smooth change with no flex.

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 08:15 am

I've used an FSA Pro carbon crankset for years and found it to be fautless - works perfectly, silent, stiff, hasn't fallen apart and still looks great.

If they were that rubbbish would they still be around?
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

Burt25

Postby Burt25 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 09:56 am

speedymoto wrote:I have just treated myself to a new bike with 105 groupset & RS10 wheels, the quality seems way below what I was expecting.

The drivetrain (FSA gossamer pro triple crank/ 105 10sp cassette/ derailleur/ front mech/ 5600 chain) seems to have a huge amount of resistance & sounds awful, as if I've just put a new un-lubed chain on a really worn mis-matched cassette - it all works ok, but I was expecting something a little smoother... maybe it will break in after a few hundred miles?

Also, the RS10 rims are all over the place, one resembles an egg-shaped pringle, I know they are fairly entry level wheels but I still thought they would be close to perfect when spanking new! I should badger my LBS but I think I'll just remedy them myself.

Maybe I was just expecting too much, the last time I purchased a brand new bike was 20 years ago with unbelievable quality Deore XT (mtb) but I suppose that was when Barbour jackets were still made in the UK, and Shimano components were still made in Japan.....

You should be very careful to check your facts before posting on a public forum- Barbour jackets most certainly are made in England!

speedymoto

Postby speedymoto » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Burt25 wrote:You should be very careful to check your facts before posting on a public forum- Barbour jackets most certainly are made in England!

According to their customer service only part of the range is still made in the UK, if your Barbour doesn't have 'Made in England' on the label or stitched into the garment then it almost certainly wasn't. Their customer service is second to none though - I was recently given a full refund on a jacket I'd been wearing for over a year because some of the stitching was coming apart (on a jacket that was made in England), it doesn't get better than that!

I don't mind where things are made unless it affects the quality, and I don't mind a reduction in quality if this is reflected in the price.

Mercia Man

Postby Mercia Man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 13:35 pm

I think speedymoto has a point about the decline in quality of components. My first serious bike was an 87 Overbury's mountain bike with Deore XT. The quality of its components, such as those lovely well-sealed large-flange hubs and triangulated cantilever brakes, was brilliant. It's a similar story with Campag. I've still got an old Victory triple chainset from the 80s. Victory was only a mid-range groupset, yet the cranks are polished to a superb mirror finish. None of my modern Campag stuff matches that.

Obviously, the functionality of stuff has made huge progress over the years. I reckon indexed gears and clipless pedals are the two greatest improvements since I started riding. But it certainly seems to me that manufacturers are making stuff down to a price in a cut-throat market. Look at the way in which Campag has consistently devalued its groupsets over the past few years - such as Chorus losing bearings and getting bushes in its ergo levers, and lower-end stuff like Centaur and Veloce getting inferior plastic innards.

In the old days, black or grey painted components were at the bottom end of the quality range - far cheaper to paint alloy than polish it. If you saw a bike with black mechs, chainset and levers, you could practically guarantee it was low-end. Hardly anything is polished nowadays. Everything is painted - presumably to match black carbon components. And it also saves the manufacturers money. Black is the new silver.

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:18 pm

Generally components take a while to bed in. When I change a chain and cassette things generally feel a bit rough for a couple of rides. Just take it back for piece of mind, if they say it's ok then ride it for a while and see if it improves. I agree that the internal routing of the shifting cables can cause problems though if not set up properly. My Cannondale never shifted properly until I fitted Gore lined cables. Since then, it's shifted fantastically (FSA/Ultegra) I use a mixture of old and new Ultegra on 2 of my bikes and have no complaints with the shifting or quality. It's quite possible you've got a couple of badly finished individual components in there though. I would also warn you that my LBS experienced a whole batch of CADD 10's which left the factory with BB30 bearings that weren't greased properly. This problems tends to come to light after a few miles though. Is there noise coming from that area?

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:51 pm

Quality to me is not defined by finish as often commented here. Functionality if key. A 5700 groupset functions just fine. Those I have set up shift very well indeed. Older shimano componentry are ineed very good but so is the new stuff.

I still prefer campag though and just because I have an old Nouvo record chainset set made in the early 80's does not mean it is better than my new Centaur carbon cranks. I quite like campag's new cranksets and there carbon one's are simply excellent. Also Campag are still doing polished alloy components. I am sure my veloce silver components are polished.

The main weekness in the longetevity of all groupset in the past 20 years is STI/ergo shifters, they do break eventually. Friction shifter just go on and on.

You also should remember Shimano has to cut the cost of it groupsets to make them attractive to bike manufacturers/assemblers. SRAM has managed to get its parts everywhere and that means shimano has do something if it not to become a minor component manufacterer. I also would not say the quality of campagnolo components is far ahead of shimano either. Cranksets aside they last forever, campag's shifters and mechs do fail.

So to the OP try a complete 5700 groupset and you may re-access your opinion.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:09 pm

speedymoto wrote:.....one more thing, I've noticed when I spin the rear wheel & look from above, the freewheel rocks from side to side in a wave like motion as if it isn't quite square with the hub, again it just doesn't match the quality I was expecting :(

So your cassette looks like it about to spin - off ??? Well if this is really happening then a cassette without the 1mm spacer or a loose f/h body will give you all sorts of problems - BUT you did also say the rear wh was like a wavey pringle as well but that turned out to be a wh that just wasnt quite perfect :?

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 20:16 pm

Another thought, you have the chain routed through the rear mech properly? There is a little guide/lug between the jockey wheels that the chain needs to navigate. If you get it the wrong side it sounds clattery no matter how much twiddling you do!!
Yellow is the new Black.

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Thu Jan 10, 2013 22:31 pm

smidsy wrote:Another thought, you have the chain routed through the rear mech properly? There is a little guide/lug between the jockey wheels that the chain needs to navigate. If you get it the wrong side it sounds clattery no matter how much twiddling you do!!

That crossed my mind but surely too obvious?

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 08:07 am

Well you would think so but experience tells me.....not always :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

Return to “Workshop”