Prototype fox enduro suspension.

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
lawman

Re: Prototype fox enduro suspension.

Postby lawman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:07 pm

Thewaylander wrote:Well your lucky, i've not ridden a supple fox with a well supported mid stroke(god i sound like im talking about summat rude here) yet.

Just expensive for what they are. and i find the maxxle axle up front far easier to use than the fox one its bloody fiddly is what it is..

You must have had a bad set, most of the FIT fork's I've tried have been great, and tbh, I'd trade the small bumps for the better mid-stroke any day of the week. I hate my maxle, its far fiddlier than the fox 15mm axle, the fox 20mm axle is a right pain I'll grant you that, but the 15mm is awesome.

Personally I prefer the performance of Fox kit, and if the prototype stuff is a step back towards more adjustability then I'm all for it. Don't Rockshox have a proto enduro fork too?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/r ... ado-35263/

supersonic
Lives Here

Postby supersonic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:12 pm

Hard to tell what it is from that, jsut a prototype on that type of bike. Could be testing a refined chassis or anything really.

That said RS could do with a lightened Lyrik. 150mm revs stretch the chassis out a lot.

lawman

Postby lawman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:17 am

It's definitely a 34 chassis by the looks of it though, could be abit lighter I guess.

A lightened lyrik or beefed up Rev would sell well. But then wasn't that what the pike eventually became?

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:37 pm

lawman wrote:A lightened lyrik or beefed up Rev would sell well. But then wasn't that what the pike eventually became?

Pike never really became anything, it sailed serenely on, unchanging through the years, like Steve Peat's nose. Then one day it was suddenly gone, like Steve Peat's form.

It's not a bad idea, this- DHX Air was never that good, and if they were to launch a new one people would still say "It's a DHX air, they're pish". Rockshox have the Monarch Plus which is supposed to be an upgraded/harder hitting air shock, but realistically just competes with the RP23 (because the RP23 is so damn good).

As far as this "enduro specific" thing, that's cobblers, enduro is just riding your bike. Having said that, I'd pay good money for a Van RC with a propedal lever.
Uncompromising extremist

lawman

Postby lawman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 20:47 pm

Northwind wrote:It's not a bad idea, this- DHX Air was never that good, and if they were to launch a new one people would still say "It's a DHX air, they're pish". Rockshox have the Monarch Plus which is supposed to be an upgraded/harder hitting air shock, but realistically just competes with the RP23 (because the RP23 is so damn good).

As far as this "enduro specific" thing, that's cobblers, enduro is just riding your bike. Having said that, I'd pay good money for a Van RC with a propedal lever.

The DHX was/is a huge let down. If this new shock is essentially a RP23 "plus" with independently adjustable High and low speed compression, then it could be an awesome shock. I can see why DH riders would want to keep the adjustment of a coil shock with the lighter weight of an air shock, so it seems odd that there are so few light weight air shocks with the adjust-ability most coil shocks have. The only ones I can think of that truly offer this, are the vivid air, CCDB air and the x-fusion vector, most of which are too heavy for trail use, just gimme a rp23 weight shock with a fully adjustable low and high speed compression damper and I'll be a happy man!

benpinnick

Postby benpinnick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 22:34 pm

RCT3 is ace. Having spent the day at TF today, and looked properly at the internals of a Talas, I can safely say I am never going to run one again. The amount of seals and gubbins needed inside a talas is a joke. Ive converted my Revs to DP coil, and to be honest if they were 10mm longer and 2mm fatter, I think that would be the ideal enduro fork.
A Flock of Birds
+ some other bikes.

Return to “MTB General”