General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
nolight

Re: How do i get faster?

Postby nolight » Sat Jan 12, 2013 02:02 am

Currently I do:

Back extension for lower back
V sit-ups for abdominals
Bridge for glutes
occasionally front plank (hold for 1 minute) without the stability stuff which is too advanced for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMkoS2QOb5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkewqrsuYg

Dabber

Postby Dabber » Sat Jan 12, 2013 08:44 am

If you are a Strava user don't get carried away trying flat out with all the segments. If you ride an area where there are segments everywhere (many of them pretty illogical) you could be riding at a very uneven pace which may result in a fast(ish ) ride through a segment but then total slow down at the end of it - this will not make for good overall average speeds. Having said that, you could selectively use some segments as part of any intervals you do but think about it first.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Giant Defy 3

neeb

Postby neeb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 09:56 am

Don't even think about core strength exercises and gym work at your stage, just get out and ride as much as you can...

If your 14mph average includes sections in town where there is significant traffic and junctions, you may find you can average significantly more when cycling out of town with no stops and starts.

If you are completely new to it you have a lot of potential to improve, as well as basic fitness it will take quite a while for muscles and ligaments to adapt, also your technique will improve and that will make you faster (pedalling technique, position on the bike etc.).

Just keep at it, it takes time! You will make a lot of progress in the first few months to a year, and will still be improving after that.

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:11 pm

neeb wrote:Don't even think about core strength exercises and gym work at your stage, just get out and ride as much as you can...

May I ask why?

neeb

Postby neeb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:40 pm

LegendLust wrote:
neeb wrote:Don't even think about core strength exercises and gym work at your stage, just get out and ride as much as you can...

May I ask why?

Assuming that the OP is a complete beginner it's just going to be a distraction from the main objective of getting time on the bike and developing cycling strength, ability and fitness through actually cycling. Any gains to be made from doing anything else at that stage are going to be minuscule next to the really big gains to be made by just riding. It's a different story once you have reached a certain level and your rate of improvement is beginning to flatten out, but if you are starting from scratch the way to become better at riding a bike is just to get out and do it.

Of course core strength exercises etc. are a good thing for anyone to do and may help protect against back pain etc, but it's not doing to be the thing that lets you go from being able to maintain a 14mph average to an 18mph average.

beams87

Postby beams87 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:59 pm

Ride
Your
Bike

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:18 pm

Some exercises will strengthen parts of the body usefully but some will result in extra muscle mass where it will not serve any useful purpose. Riding your bike will never do this.

I play the piano. Some pianists do finger strengthening exercises but nothing beats playing the piano for becoming a better pianist. If you can get out on your bike do so. If you can't, use a turbo or rollers.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:06 pm

mk1markfalkirk wrote:To add to the discussion...

What riding can I do to build my core strength? Climbing out of the saddle, but what else?

You can't. Core strength isn't a limiting factor for cycling (except possibly track sprinting), which is why:

1. You can't train it on a bike (without spectacular contrivance, at least)
2. Improving your core strength won't make you go any faster on a bike - if that's your goal

neeb

Postby neeb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 21:28 pm

I think maybe some people earlier in this thread were confusing core strength with core fitness... :)

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sat Jan 12, 2013 22:35 pm

neeb wrote:
LegendLust wrote:

May I ask why?

Assuming that the OP is a complete beginner it's just going to be a distraction from the main objective of getting time on the bike and developing cycling strength, ability and fitness through actually cycling. Any gains to be made from doing anything else at that stage are going to be minuscule next to the really big gains to be made by just riding. It's a different story once you have reached a certain level and your rate of improvement is beginning to flatten out, but if you are starting from scratch the way to become better at riding a bike is just to get out and do it.

Of course core strength exercises etc. are a good thing for anyone to do and may help protect against back pain etc, but it's not doing to be the thing that lets you go from being able to maintain a 14mph average to an 18mph average.

True. But if a stronger core strength means the OP is more comfortable on the bike and as a result can ride longer distances with greater efficiency then this is a good thing and will speed up their cycling fitness and ultimately their speed. And doing core work doesn't have to detract from cycling time - I do my core/weight work during work lunchtimes.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 08:41 am

LegendLust wrote:True. But if a stronger core strength means the OP is more comfortable on the bike and as a result can ride longer distances with greater efficiency then this is a good thing and will speed up their cycling fitness and ultimately their speed. And doing core work doesn't have to detract from cycling time - I do my core/weight work during work lunchtimes.

That's a big "if". What evidence is there that core strength work is useful in the absence of a specific issue?

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 am

LegendLust wrote:
neeb wrote:
LegendLust wrote:True. But if a stronger core strength means the OP is more comfortable on the bike and as a result can ride longer distances with greater efficiency then this is a good thing and will speed up their cycling fitness and ultimately their speed. And doing core work doesn't have to detract from cycling time - I do my core/weight work during work lunchtimes.

Fair point in the respect if you have any pretensions of working fast on a bike then getting 'low and mean' is going to be part of the equation.
Hip.. back flexibility ensuring a good aero postion for a 10 25 etc tt and similar efforts in road races if you go on a solo break or smalll break is vital... you are not going to get faster in relaxed tourist position.
It is part of my training work on the turbo to do long stints on the drops, figuratively gnawing at the bar tape and yes at my age it (hurts ) good hurt but still hurt.. if I don't use it , I know I will lose it..

So if you have 30mm of spacers under that stem, you know what to do :wink:

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Froomes Edgar wrote:

That's a big "if". What evidence is there that core strength work is useful in the absence of a specific issue?

Well if it didn't help the pro's wouldn't be doing it - through the winter pro's work on their flexibility, core strength and even do weights. You don't need to have pain or 'issues' to do core work. If your core and upper body is stronger then your pedalling will be more efficient. As JGSI says, better core and flexibility means you can hold extreme positions on the bike far easier and without fatique. And when I say stronger I don't mean bulking up, you need to be using low weights but high reps.

I used to suffer with back ache when I TT'd on my lo-pro. After a winter of core work and weights, I can keep my TT position no problem over 25miles without pain, discomfort or wriggling around in the saddle, which means I can concentrate on pedalling like fark and as a consequence I've gone a lot faster.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 pm

LegendLust wrote:Well if it didn't help the pro's wouldn't be doing it - through the winter pro's work on their flexibility, core strength and even do weights. You don't need to have pain or 'issues' to do core work. If your core and upper body is stronger then your pedalling will be more efficient. As JGSI says, better core and flexibility means you can hold extreme positions on the bike far easier and without fatique. And when I say stronger I don't mean bulking up, you need to be using low weights but high reps.

I used to suffer with back ache when I TT'd on my lo-pro. After a winter of core work and weights, I can keep my TT position no problem over 25miles without pain, discomfort or wriggling around in the saddle, which means I can concentrate on pedalling like fark and as a consequence I've gone a lot faster.

So your evidence is "pro's do it" and "it helped me when I had a specific issue"? Jesus.

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Sun Jan 13, 2013 16:11 pm

Froomes Edgar wrote:
LegendLust wrote:Well if it didn't help the pro's wouldn't be doing it - through the winter pro's work on their flexibility, core strength and even do weights. You don't need to have pain or 'issues' to do core work. If your core and upper body is stronger then your pedalling will be more efficient. As JGSI says, better core and flexibility means you can hold extreme positions on the bike far easier and without fatique. And when I say stronger I don't mean bulking up, you need to be using low weights but high reps.

So your evidence is "pro's do it" and "it helped me when I had a specific issue"? Jesus.

What more fookin evidence do you want? It works for me, I go faster. There's the evidence. If you want some White paper written by a sports scientist then spend some time on google.

FlacVest

Postby FlacVest » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:30 pm

Froomes Edgar wrote:

It seems like you're just refuting things without stating why you disagree; it's fine, but you look like you're in high school and just don't agree with something you've never heard of or accepted. Why not do some research so you'll know if he's right or wrong?

Core fitness/strength is important, and I've found out the hard way transitioning from a flat riding area at home to Tallahassee, FL, where it's a ton of smaller (30-70) foot hills over and over again. False flats, and generally just hilly landscape.

A lot of guys get dropped in it, because, although they can hold 20 or so on the flat with the legs mashing away, they don't work on core strength and fitness, which the hills will reveal the minute you try and power up one.

I ride alone mostly, but make the effort of getting out of the saddle each time I hit a hill to work on aerobics, stretching, and just getting more power down. When I first started, my form was terrible, and I'd become quickly exhausted.

Just 2 months of really hammering it and giving a lot on the hills has shown; maneuvering the bike is something that takes the "whole" body when out of the saddle on a hill, and the more fit you are the easier it is, which, in tern, makes you faster overall.

Hitting hills in general and getting out of the saddle uses a LOT of oxygen, which will quickly show you how in shape, or lack of shape, you are in when you ride that with a group of guys.

FlacVest

Postby FlacVest » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:33 pm

LegendLust wrote:
neeb wrote:
LegendLust wrote:

May I ask why?

True. But if a stronger core strength means the OP is more comfortable on the bike and as a result can ride longer distances with greater efficiency then this is a good thing and will speed up their cycling fitness and ultimately their speed. And doing core work doesn't have to detract from cycling time - I do my core/weight work during work lunchtimes.

I agree; if you're starting out, and you want to become somewhat aerodynamic in the drops or hooks, you'll use muscles in your lower back as well that you aren't normally using; I remember the first month or two on my bike being hell for a week or so, simply due to my lower back not having developed the muscles for stabilization.

My stem is flipped and lowered, so I have a noticeable drop from the saddle; now I'm comfortably spending 30% of my time in the drops, 10% on the TT bars, and 60% on the hoods.

AS1968_12

Postby AS1968_12 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:53 pm

Get some miles under your belt. The fitter you are the faster you will go!

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 19:49 pm

LegendLust wrote:
Froomes Edgar wrote:

What more fookin evidence do you want? It works for me, I go faster. There's the evidence. If you want some White paper written by a sports scientist then spend some time on google.

I would want that if I were to change my opinion. But hey, you seem happy enough being wrong.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Sun Jan 13, 2013 20:00 pm

FlacVest wrote:
Froomes Edgar wrote:

It seems like you're just refuting things without stating why you disagree; it's fine, but you look like you're in high school and just don't agree with something you've never heard of or accepted. Why not do some research so you'll know if he's right or wrong?

Core fitness/strength is important, and I've found out the hard way transitioning from a flat riding area at home to Tallahassee, FL, where it's a ton of smaller (30-70) foot hills over and over again. False flats, and generally just hilly landscape.

A lot of guys get dropped in it, because, although they can hold 20 or so on the flat with the legs mashing away, they don't work on core strength and fitness, which the hills will reveal the minute you try and power up one.

I ride alone mostly, but make the effort of getting out of the saddle each time I hit a hill to work on aerobics, stretching, and just getting more power down. When I first started, my form was terrible, and I'd become quickly exhausted.

Just 2 months of really hammering it and giving a lot on the hills has shown; maneuvering the bike is something that takes the "whole" body when out of the saddle on a hill, and the more fit you are the easier it is, which, in tern, makes you faster overall.

Hitting hills in general and getting out of the saddle uses a LOT of oxygen, which will quickly show you how in shape, or lack of shape, you are in when you ride that with a group of guys.

Urgh. I'm out. Believe what you like.

Return to “Road General”