Chain Device Help

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
ilovedirt
Posts: 5664
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 22:02 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby ilovedirt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 20:52 pm

I say this mainly based on the fact that I've set up and used a silly amount of chain guides, some that worked, some that didn't. That and the fact that the beginner often talks a lot of rubbish.
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

User avatar
lawman
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:45 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby lawman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 23:39 pm

In principle both would work, but imo, and this is in relation to stuff like the widget and not a dig at the beginners excellent homemade efforts. the double bash looks crap, the top guides look better, are lighter than two bash guards, and if you have two carbon ones, well they'll be feck all use if you smash it so won't work anyway, I'd personally go for the top guide and shadow plus/type 2 mech.

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23068
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby The Rookie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 07:17 am

ilovedirt wrote: That and the fact that the beginner often talks a lot of rubbish.

Like your offer to guarentee it's lack of effectiveness then?

If I wasn't already going to be using a bash I wouldn't be going the twin ring route, as I am.......

Lawman, we keep doing this hitting carbon fibre thing and the arguement keeps getting destroyed, why bring it up AGAIN?

User avatar
lawman
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:45 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby lawman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 am

The Beginner wrote:
ilovedirt wrote:Lawman, we keep doing this hitting carbon fibre thing and the arguement keeps getting destroyed, why bring it up AGAIN?


Carbon has its uses, I'm a very strong believer in carbon, but a light weight double bashguard that weighs less than a top guide, so circa 50-70g, is going to have compromise on strength to reach that level of lightness. It's entirely doable, but I'm not too sure. It's not as simple as cutting out two bash shapes out of carbon, this will compromise its strength, so a proper molded carbon bash designed to match the strength of modern day bashguards would no doubt end up heavier than a top guide.

I just think its one of those designs that hasn't caught on for this very reason, as most DH orientated bikes come with guides like the E13 LG! and MRP G2 with taco guards, which are lighter. For pure xc use, top guides win any day for me

ilovedirt
Posts: 5664
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 22:02 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby ilovedirt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:58 am

The Beginner wrote:
ilovedirt wrote: That and the fact that the beginner often talks a lot of rubbish.

Like your offer to guarentee it's lack of effectiveness then?

I said less effective than a proper guide. Which it will be.
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

mcnultycop
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:35 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby mcnultycop » Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:19 pm

Image

Well the Raidium arrived today. It looks good and arrived quickly; however the frame is in the LBS for its headset and I left the new cranks in the office so it won't be fitted for a while.

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23068
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby The Rookie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:00 pm

ilovedirt wrote:
The Beginner wrote:
ilovedirt wrote: That and the fact that the beginner often talks a lot of rubbish.

Like your offer to guarentee it's lack of effectiveness then?

I said less effective than a proper guide. Which it will be.

A guide is either effective (chain stays on) or not (chain falls off) so if my chain stays on NOTHING ELSE could have been more effective for me than that could it....... so you guarenting or not (aka put up or shut up!)

mcnultycop
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:35 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby mcnultycop » Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:07 pm

So after all that, the Raidium doesn't work. It fouls the frame.

Image

The cranks aren't pushed all the way into the bottom bracket in that photo. The Scandal frame bulges in that area too much.

Maybe back to the Superstar top guide now?

ilovedirt
Posts: 5664
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 22:02 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby ilovedirt » Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:13 pm

I hate to say I told you so, but... :lol:
Stick to the superstar guide, they work ;)
Saracen Ariel 151

B'Twin Triban 5

mcnultycop
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:35 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby mcnultycop » Sat Jan 12, 2013 16:35 pm

It's be a great solution on a less bulgy frame.

User avatar
lawman
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 16:45 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby lawman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 17:00 pm

Well on a xc frame such as the scandal it shouldn't be an issues, so i guess it would have no chance of working on a burlier, longer travel frame.

that kind of guide of guide isn't seen often, and as we can see, there's a reason for that. Top guide all the way.

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23068
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby The Rookie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:39 pm

Mine is 146mm diameter (outside a 32t plus chain) and fits on my frame just fine, sorry to see your frame is moire critical.

mcnultycop
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:35 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby mcnultycop » Sat Jan 12, 2013 21:21 pm

It looks like it would fit really comfortably on my Nerve AM, which is quite annoying.

milko9000
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby milko9000 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 22:47 pm

I got an Enve Double E. It's a bit bigger than the Raidium, I was too worried about the 34t cog, since that only claims it'll do 32t.

Anyway, no chance, not nearly going to fit around the frame, dagnabbit. Otherwise it looked really neat. So, ISCG05 guide it is, just have to decide if I want top-only or if I may as well get the bottom part done too while I'm doing it. The clutch mech does seem to be keeping things nice and tight so I may not bother.

mcnultycop
Posts: 2111
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 15:35 pm

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby mcnultycop » Sun Jan 13, 2013 23:51 pm

I've just ordered the Superstar top guide, so I'll see how that goes.

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23068
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Chain Device Help

Postby The Rookie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:04 am

ilovedirt wrote:I hate to say I told you so, but...

...... nowhere at all did you say it wouldn't fit....your point was...oh you didn't have one (sit rep - all normal)


Return to “MTB Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Rookie and 1 guest