Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Gabbo
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 09:26 am

Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Gabbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:17 pm

Even though my friend is totally unaware, I'm putting this picture up to ask whether you think he needs some adjustments in order to achieve the correct fit. Just for the record, no I am not pretending this picture isn't me, as for a start I would never wear a team astana kit - urgh!

I've already got in mind what I think needs changing, but what would you change?

Image

User avatar
Grill
Posts: 5378
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 08:27 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Grill » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:21 pm

Frame is small. Really small actually unless you're friend has beyond rubbish flexibility.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

Gabbo
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Gabbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:27 pm

Grill wrote:Frame is small. Really small actually unless you're friend has beyond rubbish flexibility.


He is about 6ft2 and is riding a 56cm Allez, if that helps!

User avatar
giant man
Posts: 10961
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 16:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby giant man » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:33 pm

Yes I do agree, frame is too small for a 6'2" rider imo. For a compact, depending on the geometry of course, he needs 58 or 60, set up properly. A good bike fit would determine this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby greasedscotsman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:40 pm

Agreed with others, looks to small. I'm 6' 2" and I ride a 58cm Tarmac.

Gabbo
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Gabbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:47 pm

giant man wrote:Yes I do agree, frame is too small for a 6'2" rider imo. For a compact, depending on the geometry of course, he needs 58 or 60, set up properly. A good bike fit would determine this.


Cool. We tried him out on the 58 but the seat had to come down quite a bit. I suppose he doesn't have that great an inseam. Isn't this a grey area for frame sizes? As they don't cater for everyone. Or maybe, just maybe does he require a different bike altogether?

Gabbo
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Gabbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:49 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:Agreed with others, looks to small. I'm 6' 2" and I ride a 58cm Tarmac.


Likewise, I also ride a 58cm Tarmac. I feel stretched out on mine though, though the seat height is pretty good (I've got a short torso and longer legs - about 6ft1 myself).

User avatar
lotus49
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby lotus49 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:59 pm

I am certainly not qualified to give any detailed advice about fit but it would be much easier to judge things like seat height if he had his shoes on and his foot at the bottom of the stroke. A video probably would be more helpful.

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby greasedscotsman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:11 pm

Gabbo wrote:
giant man wrote:Yes I do agree, frame is too small for a 6'2" rider imo. For a compact, depending on the geometry of course, he needs 58 or 60, set up properly. A good bike fit would determine this.


Cool. We tried him out on the 58 but the seat had to come down quite a bit. I suppose he doesn't have that great an inseam. Isn't this a grey area for frame sizes? As they don't cater for everyone. Or maybe, just maybe does he require a different bike altogether?


Am I missing something? Why would the seat be lower on a larger frame. Surely the saddle height from the bottom bracket will the same. But you are right, there is no way an off the peg bike will suit everyone. Different bike might help, maybe as others have said, a visit to a someone who really knows bike fit is called for.

rsands
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 23:02 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby rsands » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:17 pm

think what he means is the amount of seat post showing was less...! Bottom line is it comfortable for him? it does look very squashed and for a 6ft 2 rider i would say thats small...i ride a 56 and im about 5ft11...sure its a bit more stretched but it is comfy

Gabbo
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 09:26 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Gabbo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:18 pm

greasedscotsman wrote:
Gabbo wrote:
giant man wrote:Yes I do agree, frame is too small for a 6'2" rider imo. For a compact, depending on the geometry of course, he needs 58 or 60, set up properly. A good bike fit would determine this.


Cool. We tried him out on the 58 but the seat had to come down quite a bit. I suppose he doesn't have that great an inseam. Isn't this a grey area for frame sizes? As they don't cater for everyone. Or maybe, just maybe does he require a different bike altogether?


Am I missing something? Why would the seat be lower on a larger frame. Surely the saddle height from the bottom bracket will the same. But you are right, there is no way an off the peg bike will suit everyone. Different bike might help, maybe as others have said, a visit to a someone who really knows bike fit is called for.


Not sure, but the seat tube is slightly longer on the 58cm, which will mean his saddle would be closer to the top tube surely?

User avatar
Pinno
Posts: 18605
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 15:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Pinno » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:23 pm

http://www.competitivecyclist.com

Click on 'Fit calculator', top right hand corner.

At the end of the fit measurements, you'll have 3 choices - Competitive fit, The 'Eddy' Fit (after E Marckx) and the French fit. This choice will be according to your friends demands and objectives/flexibility.
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

User avatar
greasedscotsman
Posts: 6637
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 20:38 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby greasedscotsman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:25 pm

Gabbo wrote:Not sure, but the seat tube is slightly longer on the 58cm, which will mean his saddle would be closer to the top tube surely?


Yeah, it probably is. But I don't see how that matters. All your trying to do is get the contact points in the right places. It's the height (and angle) from the saddle to the pedals that matters, not the height from the saddle to the top tube.

Think a bike fit is called for! :D

stinger53
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:17 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby stinger53 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:37 pm

as said above frame is too small i ride a 56cm ribble and im 5ft 10.5

Froomes Edgar
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 19:25 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Froomes Edgar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:45 pm

TBH, he has more pressing needs, such as shoes

jouxplan
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby jouxplan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:04 pm

This would be a lot easier if he was wearing shoes and the pedal was at the bottom of the stroke, but to my eyes, he is sitting way too high. And he needs to be further behind the b/b. And the frame is too small. In fact, everything looks wrong :roll:
Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
Trek Madone 5.9 2006
Trek Madone 5.2 2004
Cougar Custom 1995
Viscount Aerospace 1982
Some mountain bikes gathering dust

sigorman85
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 00:30 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby sigorman85 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:46 pm

Shoes might help lol
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!


De rosa idol Disc di2 2015

Keith47
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby Keith47 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:52 pm

He needs a house cleaner. :D
The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.

kev77
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 20:49 pm

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby kev77 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 22:16 pm

Bike fit, asap

User avatar
MattC59
Posts: 5591
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:13 am

Re: Does he (picture) require a bike fit?

Postby MattC59 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 22:56 pm

Yeah, that looks too small !
I'm 6'2" and ride a 58cm Trek (compact frame) and a 61cm Enigma (classic frame).

A bike fit won't help here, a new frame will.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mamil22, neeb and 5 guests