Basic cleaning and maintainance

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
p1tse

Basic cleaning and maintainance

Postby p1tse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 00:43 am

New to cycling and to be honest rubbish with DIY. Also with two young ones, I have minimal time to spend on the bike and so what are the basic and must do's to adopt?

Fine I can wipe over the frame with microfibres cloths, but what about all the mechanical (metal parts and bolts)

How do I clean chain, cassette etc. and with what?
Then what's best to keep it in tip top running as I hear of wet lube etc.

A friend also said Gt85 helps repels water? And so he said look after bolts even on stems as his has rusted a little etc.

So looking for clear, basic methods and items.

Don't mind getting dirty as I used to spend hours detailing/ cleaning my cars lol

Keith1983

Re: Basic cleaning and maintainance

Postby Keith1983 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 08:22 am

Clean with warm, preferably soapy water, rinse with cold water and lube chain. Job done. Don't get carried away with a pressure washer or you'll end up blowing all the grease out of bearings and things. If everythings clean ad working, it's only your chain you really need to be lubing.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 08:36 am

p1tse wrote:How do I clean chain

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago. I use a little Fairy Liquid in warm water (followed by a thorough rinse) in the thing - cleans and degreases the chain very well.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 08:55 am

What do you use for detergent to get soapy water?
Do you use a cloth for frame and then brush for mechanical parts with soapy water?

I've seen those chain cleaners, I assume it needs a fluid to be sprayed on?

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sun Jan 06, 2013 09:50 am

p1tse wrote:I've seen those chain cleaners, I assume it needs a fluid to be sprayed on?

No. You put whatever you're using as a degreaser/cleaner in the reservoir, lock the top on, and turn the pedals backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNjZsW1sB0w

For the rest of the bike, I'm just using a little car detergent in warm water, and a sponge. I use an old toothbrush to get into the places where the sponge won't.

Then I hose it down fairly thoroughly to get all the detergent off (not with a pressure washer) and allow it to dry before relubing the chain and exposed cables.

DesWeller

Postby DesWeller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 am

The chain cleaners are awfully messy.

You can fit the chain with a quick link. That makes it easy to remove from the bike and drop into a jar of white spirit or diesel. A few thorough shakes and the muck all falls out. You can reuse the solvent over and over again.

It's important to fully drain the solvent out of the chain afterwards.

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Sat Jan 12, 2013 23:05 pm

Keith1983 wrote:Clean with warm, preferably soapy water, rinse with cold water and lube chain. Job done. Don't get carried away with a pressure washer or you'll end up blowing all the grease out of bearings and things. If everythings clean ad working, it's only your chain you really need to be lubing.

What lube and how much to put on ?

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 23:35 pm

p1tse wrote:What lube and how much to put on ?

Not so much that it soaks through the cardboard and into the carpet. :(

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Jan 13, 2013 17:25 pm

I never clean my cassettes or my chain. I do use a lube that cleans the chain a bit. I seem to get very good chain and sprocket life. Clean it throughly if you want to keep it shiney. If you are not that bothered then don't bother trying to get the chain shiney. Keeping the chain lubricated is more important. In fact the chains on my road bike never seem to get anything stuck on them, must be that lube I use. If is a MTB and the chain and cassette are covered in grit, sand and thick mud then cleaning would be benefical but this rarely happens on a road bike as you are on the road. If you want a shiney chain week after week removing it and cleaning it in petrol is the best way. I don't think it prolongs chain life neither does it shorten it. Anyone who claims otherwise has not done controlled emprical testing so no evidence to back up the claims. Neither do I have evidence to back up mine so do what you like really.

Just keeping the mechs clear of built up muck is essential cleaning you need to do. Also a bit of cleaning of the pads if there is alot of cack on them is useful. Everything else is just to keep it shiney. It does not really extend component life much if at all. Don't let my comments stop you. I am jealous of the those folk who turn up week after week on a chiney clean bike. Where do they get the time.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Return to “Workshop”