Dry or wet lube?

Postby p1tse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 17:34 pm

Newbie looking to look after new bike
Which lube, any preferred brand ?
Also how and how much to apply?

big p

Re: Dry or wet lube?

Postby big p » Sun Jan 13, 2013 17:38 pm

dry every time, wet just turns to muck on your chain. finish line dry all the way.

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 18:21 pm

big p wrote:dry every time, wet just turns to muck on your chain. finish line dry all the way.

Thanks
Do you just put a few drops on and wipe over with a cloth?

What brands ?
I was in halfrauds and they had pure, muc off and own brand
Small little bottle

big p

Postby big p » Sun Jan 13, 2013 19:23 pm

i stick loads on, as much as it will hold and then wipe as much off as possible. your trying to get the oil in between the pins and the rollers, not the outer plates or bits you can see.

clean the chain with one of these.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

and then lash a load of this on it.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... inilube250

dwanes

Postby dwanes » Sun Jan 13, 2013 19:48 pm

Finish line, You need to put one drop on each link at the joint. It seems a bit tedious to begin with, but with a bit of practice it is fairly quick. Then give it a wipe after.
If you are out a lot in wet conditions then use wet lube, I found dry lube didn't offer enough protection.

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 19:59 pm

Cool thanks

Big p
Perfect and doesn't cost too much

But how often do you clean chain with that tool and then lube as in this wet weather with a bit of spray I've sprayed down bike with hose and wiped dry

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 08:25 am

Dry lube if you leave in the desert, wet lube if you live everywhere else. If your chain goes black, it's because you've put too much lube on - it goes on the inside of the chain, not outside.
Dry lubes are a marketing scam - barely lasts one ride.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Jan 14, 2013 08:42 am

Putting a dry lube on in winter is madness! It's just going to wash off.

As above - a blob of Finishing Line Wet lube on each link (on the inside of the chain), rotate several times and then wipe off the excess. If you come back from a ride and the chain is black wipe the chain off. Re do it a week later.

In the spring/summer/autumn I use ProGold Prolink - it's a thin lube with no solids like teflon or wax and it cleans the chain as you ride.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Islwyn

Postby Islwyn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:43 am

thegreatdivide wrote:In the spring/summer/autumn I use ProGold Prolink - it's a thin lube with no solids like teflon or wax and it cleans the chain as you ride.

Is it as good as it sounds?

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 am

I've tried all those Teflon and wax things and they've been rubbish - for me - then I came across Pro Gold via the weightweenies website. So I ordered some up and gave it a go and it’s now the only thing I’ll use on my Super Record group set . It gives you a quiet drive train for a longer period which IMO most of those ‘dry’ lubes don’t do. I’ve gone out on long rides after sticking on some Teflon guff and come home with the chain sounding like tank tracks. Not the case for the old Pro Gold.

You’re not going to have a permanently shiny clean chain – NO LUBE DOES THAT – but you can get a week’s worth of quiet summer riding before re applying. Just come in from a ride and wipe the days dirt off and the chain will be shiny.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

sungod

Postby sungod » Mon Jan 14, 2013 15:23 pm

wet

i use syn lube, nice sticky stuff, but there are umpteen wet lubes that'll do the job just as well

leave to soak in, then wipe chain well and it'll stay pretty clean, just wipe again if it starts to pick up dirt
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

edhornby

Postby edhornby » Mon Jan 14, 2013 16:53 pm

do the lubing after the ride as it needs time to soak in
"I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
--Jens Voight

richiebones

Postby richiebones » Tue Jan 15, 2013 13:26 pm

i do both :-)
having removed the chain and cleaned it i bung it in a bag and spray in some dry lube, then leave it to dry while i clean the rest of the bike. wipe off the excess, re install chain then add a very small dab of wet lub to each of the link rollers, wipe off excess.

why....i feel by limiting the amount of wet lube used to the rollers it reduces the amount of road crap that sticks to the chain leaving it shiny for longer whilst still protecting the whole chain.

in reality it probabally makes sod all difference but makes me happy

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 22:55 pm

I hate wet lube. They attract crap simples. I also use dry club and no they do not get washed off that easily. But I clean and lube once a month.

But this pro gold pro link stuff might give is a go.

I dab lube on tooth brush and apply to cassette and chain using that. Obviously all the bits are disassembled in the first place. Then wipe the chain lightly and leave to dry. The cassette gets the same treatment. Leave overnight next to a radiator or rest of the day then assemble and ready to go next.

Even with dry lube, when I clean my chain it is plenty gregeasy so I don't understand this notion it washes off easy, surely if that's the case I just need to rinse it and wipe then its good...
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

Return to “Workshop”