Which helmet for smaller heads????

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Weeman1973

Which helmet for smaller heads????

Postby Weeman1973 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 am

I am after a helmet for my smallish head which doesn't give you the very (un) desirable Mushroom syndrome!

I recently bought a Giro (sure it is a Monza) and although it seems to fit internally, I find myself catching glimpses in windows what can only be described as a Balloon staring back at me!

I understand that safety and function are paramount, however surely there are helmets out there that do a great job but don't make your (smallish) head look unsightly?

Was looking at Kask Vertigo but at £165 or so it's a big investment if it still looks rather silly on me. My LBS or Halfords etc. only stock the likes of Giro or Bell which again all look rather cumbersome on me so no way of trying one on I'm afraid. I did try a MET (can't remember model) but it absolutely killed the side of my swede and it was only on for a minute!

smidsy

Re: Which helmet for smaller heads????

Postby smidsy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:48 am

Kask mojito far cheaper and better
Yellow is the new Black.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Thu Jan 17, 2013 19:11 pm

How small is your head? Could you get away with say the yellow bit inside a kinder egg?

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Thu Jan 17, 2013 19:14 pm

On a serious note, Giro do very good sizes, If the helmet looks a bit big on your head and fits inside, its probably just because you aint used to seeing it on your head and it looks bigger than it actually is. I thought the same when I got my Giro Atmos. But its not as big as it appears

nathancom

Postby nathancom » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:27 am

I wouldn't worry, people just see someone wearing a cycle helmet...

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Fri Jan 18, 2013 13:56 pm

SmoggySteve wrote: its probably just because you aint used to seeing it on your head and it looks bigger than it actually is.

Stop looking in windows and mirrors. For most of us looking in a mirror highlights the bulging lycra so the helmet is irrelevant.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”