For all Wilier experts.

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
FATBELLYME

For all Wilier experts.

Postby FATBELLYME » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:17 pm

Just a couple of questions.

2010 Izoard xp ultegra....mainly all white frame, does anyone know the cost when new of this model and reviews.

2010 Izoard centaur....i believe this is the more expensive frame than the basic, when new it was £2400, can anyone be more informative on the frame please and also a review.

Thanks.

jvol

Re: For all Wilier experts.

Postby jvol » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:28 pm

Here's a review of the 2010:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-10-37739

I've got the 2009, which is basically the same, with Fulcrum 3s. I absolutely love it.

jvol

Postby jvol » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:31 pm

sorry - I meant the review was for the Centaur. And yes, I believe the xp is a slightly heavier frame, with different carbon lay-up and an alloy steerer, as opposed to a carbon one on the Centaur.

GGBiker

Postby GGBiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 21:45 pm

The newer xp frame is criticised for having an alloy steerer tube, the reason being that the original izoard had a lot of cracked carbon steerers developing.

Regardless the new frame is great. Cycling plus gave the bike 3.5 stars in 105 version last year, the main reason seemed to be that they didn't like the tyres (!) it was fair comment as they were shite

The 2013 ultegra is £2k, pretty sure the 2012 was similar price.

You can get the 2013 with veloce for £1500 (or £1350 that I paid with simple bit of negotiation), veloce is pretty much identical to centaur and works beautifully ( plus its Italian!). You could easily upgrade derailleurs and shifters to centaur later for a few hundred quid if you wanted.

Definitely change the tyres though ( conti gp4000s made it a new bike).

FATBELLYME

Postby FATBELLYME » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

This is the spec on the centaur i am thinking of getting, as a guidline what kind of price would it be worth realistically in todays market.

http://www.socialshopping.com/AW-Cycles ... 009010327/

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:21 pm

I've had an XP since they came out at the end of 2010. The bike is only 70g heavier than the full carbon steerer version and the carbon is uni directional instead of weave. The owners of original Izoard’s will try and convince you that there’s is somehow better but they’ve yet to actually prove this ;-)

Re what GGBiker said about Cycling+ giving the bike a 3.5 because the tyres let it down – that was madness and goes to prove that C+ reviews are nonsense.

It’s a VERY strong frame and mine survived a head-on collision with a car. It’s now my every day bike that I’ll ride in all weathers. I love it.

Current set-up is a mix of Veloce Ultrashift and a carbon Centaur chainset, Racing 3’s with Vittoria Rubino Pro 3’s and FSA SLK cockpit.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

jvol

Postby jvol » Fri Jan 18, 2013 13:54 pm

@FATBELLYME, in terms of your question, just to check what you mean - are you talking about in second-hand terms? As I'd be amazed if anyone still has stock of brand new 2010 bikes.

If you've found a 2010 bike, as regards the groupset, I think I'm right in saying that 2010 Centaur was still ultra-shift, as opposed to the slight downgrade in more recent years of Centaur, with no multiple shifts. So it's only my opinion, but I would say an appropriate brand new price for the spec of bike you've linked to is still around the £2200 to £2500 mark.

But still puzzled as to whether you're looking at a brand new one or second-hand one.....

Furrag

Postby Furrag » Fri Jan 18, 2013 16:02 pm

I had a 2010 one. Got it for £2000 down from £2400 with Centaur in Sept 2010. Centaur was far better in 2010 for the above reasons. 2011 feels much cheaper and horrible in the thumb button, whereas 2010 maintains that nice firm crispness.

I read a review stating that the Izoard [XP?] from 2011 used a lower grade carbon in the manufacturing of the frame and was heavier, and this was reflected in the pricing and kit it came with. The XP was definitely cheaper though (and looked it imo).

I took a massive hit and ended up selling my frame second hand for £600.

FATBELLYME

Postby FATBELLYME » Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:36 pm

Sorry yes to buy used.

Furrag

Postby Furrag » Sat Jan 19, 2013 00:05 am

Used I saw them going for between £900-£1100 on Ebay. I sold my frame, forks, headset and hanger for £600 to a club mate. I wouldn't have so cheaply, but I've had a few better deals along the way, so swings & roundabouts!

bendylegs

Postby bendylegs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 21:26 pm

thegreatdivide wrote:I've had an XP since they came out at the end of 2010. The bike is only 70g heavier than the full carbon steerer version and the carbon is uni directional instead of weave. The owners of original Izoard’s will try and convince you that there’s is somehow better but they’ve yet to actually prove this ;-)

Re what GGBiker said about Cycling+ giving the bike a 3.5 because the tyres let it down – that was madness and goes to prove that C+ reviews are nonsense.

It’s a VERY strong frame and mine survived a head-on collision with a car. It’s now my every day bike that I’ll ride in all weathers. I love it.

Current set-up is a mix of Veloce Ultrashift and a carbon Centaur chainset, Racing 3’s with Vittoria Rubino Pro 3’s and FSA SLK cockpit.

Sorry my first post is a question, but I'm buying an Izoard XP this week - just can't decide between the Veloce or Centaur. You run a mix of these sets - any advice please? I'm moving up from a £700 Allez with Tiagra, so guessing either will feel like an improvement, but is the Centaur worth the extra £400? Thanks in advance.

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:23 pm

bendylegs wrote:
thegreatdivide wrote:I've had an XP since they came out at the end of 2010. The bike is only 70g heavier than the full carbon steerer version and the carbon is uni directional instead of weave. The owners of original Izoard’s will try and convince you that there’s is somehow better but they’ve yet to actually prove this ;-)

Sorry my first post is a question, but I'm buying an Izoard XP this week - just can't decide between the Veloce or Centaur. You run a mix of these sets - any advice please? I'm moving up from a £700 Allez with Tiagra, so guessing either will feel like an improvement, but is the Centaur worth the extra £400? Thanks in advance.

I have Veloce on my Izoard. It works. I don't believe that Centaur would be an upgrade worth £400. Its not rated too highly. Better to spend £400 on different wheels imo. I am guessing your proposed bike comes with Fulcrum 3s which are ok but I am sure no better then any other entry level wheels.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:41 pm

Is the Veloce of the same age as the Centaur. If so, then I'd probably go with the Veloce. If the Veloce is more recent, then the Centaur might be well worth the money. I'd certainly pay £400 not to get the current Veloce in favour of 2010 Centaur!
Faster than a tent.......

bendylegs

Postby bendylegs » Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:08 pm

The bikes are same age. The Veloce has Fulcrum R7s while the Centaur has R5s. No other difference I can detect, other than colour scheme of course (and I actually prefer the Veloce spec bike in red/ white as opposed to the Centaur spec which is black/ red)

Return to “Road Buying Advice”