Replacing 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 0 Wheels

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
MrGardocky

Replacing 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 0 Wheels

Postby MrGardocky » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:32 pm

Hello all, first post here on the forums.

I am new to road cycling but I've grown up on bikes all my life. I got into it for exercise and so far I'm loving it. I jumped right in and got a 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 0 since I got a really good deal on it here at my LBS. I know its probably more bike than I need, but I'm a sucker for nicer things and the deal was really good.

My question is that for a heavy rider (220 pounds with some weight to lose ;-P) are the stock P-SL0 wheels going to be durable enough? I'm not looking to do any racing it's really only going to be for exercise and I want to train for a century in the near future. At my weight, I understand that having more spokes is generally better? I would rather sell these wheels while they are still reasonably new so I can use that money toward and upgrade (or maybe just a cross-grade made for the heavier rider).

I was looking at the Vision Trimax Pro Clinchers which I can get for $419.99. Would these be a downgrade or upgrage or neither? Also, any other recommendations around this price range?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... 5823_-1___

letap73

Re: Replacing 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 0 Wheels

Postby letap73 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:37 pm

I would consider handbuilts rather than factory wheels for your purpose. Contact this guy for advice:
http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/contact

ugo.santalucia

Re: Replacing 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 0 Wheels

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:39 pm

MrGardocky wrote:Hello all, first post here on the forums.

I am new to road cycling but I've grown up on bikes all my life. I got into it for exercise and so far I'm loving it. I jumped right in and got a 2012 Giant TCR Advanced 0 since I got a really good deal on it here at my LBS. I know its probably more bike than I need, but I'm a sucker for nicer things and the deal was really good.

My question is that for a heavy rider (220 pounds with some weight to lose ;-P) are the stock P-SL0 wheels going to be durable enough? I'm not looking to do any racing it's really only going to be for exercise and I want to train for a century in the near future. At my weight, I understand that having more spokes is generally better? I would rather sell these wheels while they are still reasonably new so I can use that money toward and upgrade (or maybe just a cross-grade made for the heavier rider).

I was looking at the Vision Trimax Pro Clinchers which I can get for $419.99. Would these be a downgrade or upgrage or neither? Also, any other recommendations around this price range?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/w ... 5823_-1___

They are the wrong wheels for you. You need 32 spokes, solid hubs and somewhat stiff rims... They don't need be expensive... In GBP 200 to 250

Return to “Road Buying Advice”