What car to carry my bike?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
allen-uk

What car to carry my bike?

Postby allen-uk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:39 am

We've got a smallish MPV (Nissan Tino) into which I CAN cram my Wisper, but it is very hard work, so I was wondering what sort of vehicle (without going up to a Transit!) would be easier.

I'm thinking of Galaxies, or Espace, or similar - something where the seats come out (only two of us) with loads of headroom for wheeling bike (or even bikes) into the back.

Any ideas? (And no, far too old, Wisper's far too heavy, for roof-rack, I'm afraid).

Allen.

smidsy

Re: What car to carry my bike?

Postby smidsy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:47 am

Galaxy, Espace and similar vehicles are fine for that.

Used to get motorcycles in that sort of vehicle with the seats out.
Yellow is the new Black.

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 am

I've always reckoned a Fiat Multipla might be the best for my family. As there is just the wife and my son we can all sit in the front and the bikes can fit easily in the back with the seats permanently folded down. Only trouble is the wife absolutely hates them :( She wants us to have a Mini One :shock:

Marcryan206

Postby Marcryan206 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:54 am

Iv got a zafira and it fits my XL Frame in fine with the back seats pushed forward and could fit more in!

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:13 pm

Mercedes vito sport, 5 seats, 160bhp, 6 bikes in the back no problem , chrome bars.

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:21 pm

Honda CRV (2009 on). Takes my road or MTB in one swallow, just slots in nice and easy, no wheels off, nothing.
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:30 pm

markos1963 wrote:I've always reckoned a Fiat Multipla might be the best for my family. As there is just the wife and my son we can all sit in the front and the bikes can fit easily in the back with the seats permanently folded down. Only trouble is the wife absolutely hates them :( She wants us to have a Mini One :shock:

Your wife at least has taste...Fiat Multipla (apart from being a Fiat) is the ugliest motor known to man. :)

Kind of like a wide mouth frog. :shock:
Yellow is the new Black.

ILM Zero7

Postby ILM Zero7 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:05 pm

there is another thread on this about 3 months ago - my answer is the same - a VW Passat CC - takes my race bike (56) without taking a wheel off !, and its a car , not a 4x4
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
[b]Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

allen-uk

Postby allen-uk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 17:16 pm

Thanks for the ideas.

(Oh, and I would LOVE a Multipla - might be ugly, but I find it a breath of fresh thinking, away from the usual fashion-conscious look of cars - trouble is, they don't do automatics, and having lost a leg (careless) I can't do manuals any more).

A

Mikey41

Postby Mikey41 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 18:55 pm

Skoda Roomster

Rear seats can be removed completely and they do a mount that the forks of the bikes will attach to, allowing you to transport 2 bikes in the back standing up. With some room left for luggage. They have an auto in the range too.
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sat Jan 19, 2013 19:55 pm

Loads, particularly van based conversions like Berlingos, Fiat Doblos etc are the most practical as you can stand the bike up in the back.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:46 pm

smidsy wrote:
markos1963 wrote:I've always reckoned a Fiat Multipla might be the best for my family. As there is just the wife and my son we can all sit in the front and the bikes can fit easily in the back with the seats permanently folded down. Only trouble is the wife absolutely hates them :( She wants us to have a Mini One :shock:

Your wife at least has taste...Fiat Multipla (apart from being a Fiat) is the ugliest motor known to man. :)

Kind of like a wide mouth frog. :shock:

I love ugly motors, probably goes back to my punk roots and a love of things that go against the grain.

Strith

Postby Strith » Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:07 pm

People on this forum can't agree on what bikes are good, let alone cars.

All thats important is that the bikes on the roof are worth more than the car.

Churchill123

Postby Churchill123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:13 pm

Range rover takes my bike perfectly well

Briggo

Postby Briggo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:57 pm

allen-uk wrote:We've got a smallish MPV (Nissan Tino) into which I CAN cram my Wisper, but it is very hard work, so I was wondering what sort of vehicle (without going up to a Transit!) would be easier.

I'm thinking of Galaxies, or Espace, or similar - something where the seats come out (only two of us) with loads of headroom for wheeling bike (or even bikes) into the back.

Any ideas? (And no, far too old, Wisper's far too heavy, for roof-rack, I'm afraid).

Allen.

My 3 series Beemer touring easily gets 2 or 3 bikes & kit without wheels off with seats down, 2 people in front.

Why on earth would you need something like a galaxy.

plymouthsteve

Postby plymouthsteve » Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:24 pm

Citroen C3 Picasso, for leaving as much cash as possible for the more important things in life.. i.e. anything bike related.
Cheap tax / insurance/ fuel consumption, lots of toys, flexible loading area and yes. you all know it by now but I'm a car dealer and I've got a few! Got other things too, so this is good advice.

MattyyP

Postby MattyyP » Sun Jan 20, 2013 00:15 am

Briggo wrote:
allen-uk wrote:We've got a smallish MPV (Nissan Tino) into which I CAN cram my Wisper, but it is very hard work, so I was wondering what sort of vehicle (without going up to a Transit!) would be easier.

Allen.

My 3 series Beemer touring easily gets 2 or 3 bikes & kit without wheels off with seats down, 2 people in front.

Why on earth would you need something like a galaxy.

I think for some reason he wants to stand them up in the back, and unless you have pretty small framed bikes that isn't possible in most estates...
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

tonyf34

Postby tonyf34 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 09:15 am

I drive a VW Passat estate, with the back seats down and front wheels off & seatpost removed or lowered you can get 3 bikes in the back easily and have space for bags etc.
If just one bike I can lay it flat as is in the boot, again with the seats folded down.
My older 2001 tdi easily gets 47mpg yearly average (due to a fair few short journey'ss for some chariddy work I do) and runs partly on veggie oil(up to 25% in the summer). Reliable as anything, it's never not started first time. comfortable over long trips and has enough get up and go for overtaking and mine is the lowest powered 100bhp variant.
The newer versions are fine too but a bit iffy on straight veggie oil...lol

allen-uk

Postby allen-uk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 09:46 am

Still good ideas, but if I can tighten the spec. once more:

I am old, unfit, not strong. I don't want to be lifting too much, or taking front wheels off, or laying bikes on their sides. I want a vehicle where I can lift the bike, in one piece, into the back, and wheel it all the way in.

I don't care about fashion, or beemers (spelling?), or boys toys - past all that, thank gord.

I DO need an automatic, due to absence of left leg.

On with the dance.

A

pdw

Postby pdw » Sun Jan 20, 2013 09:49 am

Ah - we're talking about an e-bike... now I understand why you want to wheel it in.

Have you looked at tow bar mount carriers? Some of the newer ones are rated for ebikes and you can get ramps for them. Just make sure that the car's tow bar rating is up to it.

Return to “Road General”