Is cycling getting too much attention for doping?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
jonomc4

Is cycling getting too much attention for doping?

Postby jonomc4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 am

I only ask this because of the upcoming case against the Spanish doping doctor.

Apparently 30% of his clients were cyclist and 70% from other sports - yet they are only prosecuting the cyclist clients - the others the Spanish government are not chasing after.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9816922/Spain-accused-of-a-doping-cover-up-as-doctor-implicated-in-cyclings-Operation-Puerto-scandal-goes-on-trial.html

Once again cycling will be in the media headlights whilst the rest continue business as usual

RideOnTime

Re: Is cycling getting too much attention for doping?

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am

Yes, it's getting attention for the wrong reasons - BUT - just think how many millions have watched the Doprah interview - not a positive (excuse pun) message but a message nonetheless. Cycling makes the national press nearly everyday and along with all the negativity some positivity cannot but creep out.

:D

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:46 am

Oh yes and we've got 3 stages of 2014 TdF in England - not that that's got anything to do with this - but come on. 2013 and 2014 are going to be bumper years - aren't they. :lol: :D :D :D :D

ShinyHelmut

Postby ShinyHelmut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:47 am

No, cycling isn't getting too much attention for doping. Other sports aren't getting enough attention.

I'd love to see David Walsh turn his attention to Football, or tennis, or rugby.....
Last edited by ShinyHelmut on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

Yes, they are. I'll answer my own question.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 am

Yes is the answer.

The Spanish situation is diabological. And its a miracle the case is still going ahead, given that Spanish magistrates tried to get it closed down on a number of occasions.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 am

ShinyHelmut wrote:No, cycling isn't getting too much attention for doping. Other sports aren't getting enough attention.

I'd love to see David Walsh turn his attention to Football, or tennis, or rugby.....

No chance. The journalists in those events get pitch side seats. Seats that would cost you and I a lot of money if we could get hold of them. And they can't get close to a player without the right press pass. They won't give any of that up

By contrast in cycling they watch on big screen in a school canteen. It's worse than at home. And any old person can walk up to a rider at a race. As a sport, they can take it or leave it.
Twitter: @RichN95

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am

Yes, I think it does get too much stick compared to other major sports like Tennis and Football. I'm getting to the stage where I would love to see a major doping scandal in another sport to even things up a bit.

Having said that, I do think that part of the problem is that many cycling fans are obsessed with talking about doping, which doesn't really help.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 am

Remember when OP first broke?
All the cyclists were quickly named, the odd
exception quickly disappeared.
We were told it was only for the time being.
First they were going to "deal" with cycling and that
other sports would follow.

The ITF said: "Tennis players, what tennis players? We know nothing."

I guess we are still waiting. :roll:
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:16 am

Blazing Saddles wrote:Remember when OP first broke?
All the cyclists were quickly named, the odd
exception quickly disappeared.
We were told it was only for the time being.
First they were going to "deal" with cycling and that
other sports would follow.

The ITF said: "Tennis players, what tennis players? We know nothing."

I guess we are still waiting. :roll:

Cycling had nasty foreigners they could reveal though. Ullrich, Basso, Jaksche, Scarponi etc. The others sports probably mostly involved Spaniards or Spanish teams
Twitter: @RichN95

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 am

^This

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 am

Whilst I was going to say yes & follow the line that it puts our beloved sport in the spotlight for the wrong reasons I'm going to go with another view.

To outsiders, the general Joe public, cycling is full of people who use drugs. We then come back and say well it might have been in the 80's & 90's but that was in the past and it has now cleaned its act up ........ oh wait a minute no it hasn't and we still have riders returning form bans to win races and being booed by the spectators.

I actually think that this publicity over you know who (I have taken to not even mentioning his name any more) will for the sake of our sport i.e. if we want sponsors to continue to fund races we need to be more strict in our rules and consider 4 year or lifetime bans for drugs cheats.

Yes we have come a long way since the Festina affair but we are still plagued by drugs related stories hitting the headlines when it should be about the epic races themselves. The only solution is to kick cheating drugs cheats out and get back to having some good stories printed.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am

I think we need some equal reporting

Doesnt mean foot should be off the gas for cycling, but there is shocking inequality between the sports

Tennis is heading for a bit of a crossroads now. Talk is of them introducing the bio passport by 2014. They'd better because otherwise otherwise they're heading for their own OP/Festina/whatever

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:26 am

Danlikesbikes wrote: I actually think that this publicity over you know who (I have taken to not even mentioning his name any more) will for the sake of our sport i.e. if we want sponsors to continue to fund races we need to be more strict in our rules and consider 4 year or lifetime bans for drugs cheats.

DOprah Armstrong.

or made to ride bikes with square wheels.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

“We were always told that the patients this man [Fuentes} was treating were across a number of sports so it was disappointing that cycling was the only sport isolated,” David Howman WADA Director General

With the "Spanish authorities" preventing this trial from dealing with any sport other than cycling - has there been any official reason or justification for this?
Why isn't the UCI going mental about this? Fat Pat might garner himself some valuable popularity points considering the position he's currently in.
From an international viewpoint, the Spanish are all being tainted with the Dirty Cheating Tar Brush - aren't there any anti-doping Spanish cycling officials/groups/fans making a noise about any of this?

jonomc4

Postby jonomc4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 am

I think the post about the other cheats being in the Spanish national teams was very close to the truth - doping will never stand a chance of being removed when Governments actively get involved in cover ups for the sake of national identity!

At least I now know why Torres suddenly got a lot slower :) and only Ambramovich suffered because of that - so no big loss. I just get the impression the drugs and cycling are always used in the same sentence and it is removing all the personal joy I get from taking part in the sport and from watching it - let alone the slur on clean riders who win events - them I feel most sorry for.

seward4or5

Postby seward4or5 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:58 am

Danlikesbikes wrote:I actually think that this publicity over you know who (I have taken to not even mentioning his name any more) will for the sake of our sport i.e. if we want sponsors to continue to fund races we need to be more strict in our rules and consider 4 year or lifetime bans for drugs cheats.

Voldemort?

Rodrego Hernandez

Postby Rodrego Hernandez » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 pm

Tennis players, soccer players and marathon runners.

A few really big british names are amongst those mentioned which may explain the news black out!

dish_dash

Postby dish_dash » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm

The sports section on the Today programme today had an interesting bit where the presenter asked Jonathan Legard (I think) if doping was an issue in Tennis. The conclusion was yes but not enough was known. There is definitely an opportunity for a journalist to do some digging in the Tennis world... I'm getting the sense that post-Armstrong there might be a bit more questioning going on. Not holding my breath mind...

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

Rodrego Hernandez wrote:Tennis players, soccer players and marathon runners.

A few really big british names are amongst those mentioned which may explain the news black out!

Why would the Spanish authorities not welcome the attention on the foreigners then?

Return to “Pro Race”