Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Mooro

Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

Postby Mooro » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 pm

dont think the two are related (they arent) but he is confirming he is riding in support of Froome.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... -de-france

Richmond Racer

Re: Wiggins loses sideburns / wont ride the tour to win

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Any story that has the Maillot Jaune holder dressing up as Batman, has to be a winner

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Guess it makes sense for DB to cover all his bases when picking the tour squad in case Froomie does crack though I personally would love to see him win.

We will see if Batman can ride the Giro to win and the tour in support though am sure Sir DB will have planned this all out already.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Which Batman? Adam West, Michael Keaton or Christian Bale? (Or god forbid, George Clooney)
Once again, no transparency from Sky.

(Off topic, but in his book Armstrong described how, as a little kid, he used to ride about dressed up as Darth Vader. Darth Vader FFS! The signs were there early on.)
Last edited by RichN95 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @RichN95

chrisday

Postby chrisday » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:01 pm

Danlikesbikes wrote:Guess it makes sense for DB to cover all his bases when picking the tour squad in case Froomie does crack though I personally would love to see him win.

Completely understand the choice - like DB demonstrated with Hoy vs Kenny for 'lympic sprint, he's not guided by sentimentality at all.
And as much as I want to like Fenton, I can't bring myself to do so - nothing to do with 'loyalty' or not last year, just find him a bit, well, dull, which is odd given his more attacking style. Think it's more to do with his personality. Tho I'll be well happy with a Froome (and therefore GB-ish) win, I'd be happier if he cracked a bit and Wiggo took over ;)

pat1cp

Postby pat1cp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:01 pm

"I don't want to be a celebrity," said Wiggins, explaining that at New Year he went skiing in the Alps with friends and went out to a New Year's Eve party dressed as Batman. "Someone recognised me in spite of the mask, asked me if I was Bradley Wiggins and I said I was called Jeremy ... I didn't want someone taking a photo of me dressed as Batman."

:lol: :lol:

RideOnTime

Postby RideOnTime » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:03 pm

I blame Delilah...

Eddie72

Postby Eddie72 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:08 pm

"But it looks as if Chris will be the leader this year. That doesn't mean I'll be riding 200km a day on the front of the bunch for him. We will be there together as he was last year with me in the mountains. Something could happen to Chris … he could be sick, he could crash as it happened to me in 2011 when we ended up without a team leader."

It's not quite "I'm fully behind Froome as he's got the best chance to win the Tour this year" is it?

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:17 pm

Sky wise to keep their options open, what with Froome's fragility and propensity to only ride like a world beater for a few weeks each year.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:18 pm

Eddie72 wrote:"But it looks as if Chris will be the leader this year. That doesn't mean I'll be riding 200km a day on the front of the bunch for him. We will be there together as he was last year with me in the mountains. Something could happen to Chris … he could be sick, he could crash as it happened to me in 2011 when we ended up without a team leader."

It's not quite "I'm fully behind Froome as he's got the best chance to win the Tour this year" is it?

And that's exactly what Froome did for Bradders in the Tour. Others were on bottle & cape duty, others chased down breakways at the start of the stages until Sky and the rest of the peloton were happy with the composition, and kept the breakaway under control. Froome didnt ride entire stages at the front of the peloton pulling it along. If you look back at videos of even the mountain stages, Froome only took over after first Rogers and then Porte did their stints and pulled off - usually with the last few kms to go. In fact, Froome was often in Wiggins wheel whilst the other Sky boys were pulling the bunch in the lofty stuff.

If you're plan B, you're not supposed to get sh&gged out acting as a regular domestique.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:19 pm

Hadn't he just shaved off the sideburns when he got knocked off his bike recently?

Seems like a bad move to me.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:21 pm

ChrisAOnABike wrote:Hadn't he just shaved off the sideburns when he got knocked off his bike recently?

Seems like a bad move to me.

We could start a pressure group for him to re-grow them - pressure groups being all the rage in cycling :wink:
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:21 pm

inkyfingers wrote:Sky wise to keep their options open, what with Froome's fragility and propensity to only ride like a world beater for a few seconds each climb.

FTFY

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:23 pm

Risking sounding like a broken record:

Froome still has to win a stage race. Any race. Even an SSR.
Last edited by Richmond Racer on Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:27 pm

Within a month we'll see "Wiggo pushing for Tour" in another interview.

Just Sky playing silly beggers.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:32 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Risking sounding like a broken record:

How dare you... I suggest you check Wikipedia and eat your words!

1st Tour of Mauritius
1st Stages 2 & 3
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

Milton50

Postby Milton50 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:36 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Risking sounding like a broken record:

2nd in the Tour and Vuelta >>>>>>>>> Winning any race

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:46 pm

Inky...I bow to you highlighting the Tour of Lovely 5 star Luxury Hotels Island. Chapeau, Froomedog :)

Milton, should have explained myself better. Yes, at ProTour level he's won 2 x GT stages, and been runner up on 3 (?) - and of course 2nd step overall for Tour and Vuelta. Great palmares from last 2 years.

However, he's not gone into a stage race as leader for Sky and won it, handling the pressure as leader day after day. The only stage race I think he's been leader since joining Sky is Tour of Beijing in 2011 (3rd overall).

Before last year, at least Wiggins has won the 2011 Dauphine as well as 3rd in P-N.

Lack of experience is what I'm getting at.

And he'll be up against Bertie, vile Piti et all - all very experienced at shouldering leadership in stage races - and winning.

Sky will put him up as leader for at least a couple of the pre-Tour biggies - they have to

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:51 pm

Daz555 wrote:Within a month we'll see "Wiggo pushing for Tour" in another interview.

Just Sky playing silly beggers.

Agreed!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 13:53 pm

Well Fenton's girlfriend is back on the case... paging Mrs Wiggins

@michellecound:
No, really? :P RT @CyclingRightNow: Wiggins: Froome may be leader http://goo.gl/fb/1iYkI #cycling #skysports

@VeloViking:
@michellecound After reading Wiggins' book where he explains their relationship during last years Tour, I can't see that turning out well

@michellecound
@VeloViking haven't read it, don't care to either :wink: maybe he'll give his spot up to someone willing to give their all!

Return to “Pro Race”