Gaining sponsorship - can companies claim it back?

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
durhamwasp

Gaining sponsorship - can companies claim it back?

Postby durhamwasp » Sat Jan 26, 2013 15:42 pm

Just wondering if anybody knows about gaining a sponsor for an amateur team, and what the rules are?
Somebody told me recently that if a company sponsors an amateur team/club (for example sunday league football team) they can claim it back in their tax rebate... Anybody confirm this?
We are basically a team that compete in cyclocross and do our own rides for fun. Im thinking of trying to get us some new strips/shorts at a cost of around £300 and wondering if i can use this tax rebate thing as an extra reason for a company to buy us the strips with their name on?
Anyone have any experience in this?
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

VTech

Re: Gaining sponsorship - can companies claim it back?

Postby VTech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 01:58 am

Yes, they can claim it back. We sponsor several teams/clubs.
Living MY dream.

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 09:29 am

VTech wrote:Yes, they can claim it back. We sponsor several teams/clubs.

Thanks!

Could you give me a brief overview of how it works? and does the club have to be offically registered in any way? (ie as a sports club through HMRC, or as a Clarion club?)
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 15:47 pm

ive given to local charities and schools and all i do is give over the money, get a reciept and put it through the books.
ive never had any issue whatsoever.

I used to do the gumball 3000 in the same method but after the second time the taxman shiat a brick and said no !!!!!
I was using that method for marketing though.
Living MY dream.

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 16:03 pm

VTech wrote:ive given to local charities and schools and all i do is give over the money, get a reciept and put it through the books.
ive never had any issue whatsoever.

I used to do the gumball 3000 in the same method but after the second time the taxman shiat a brick and said no !!!!!
I was using that method for marketing though.

Cheers, good to know. Hoping an amateur cycling club/group counts the same as a school or charity...

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 16:28 pm

I dont think so, I think you will get it under the advertising budget which equates to the same thing.
Living MY dream.

gazrichards

Postby gazrichards » Sun Jan 27, 2013 23:00 pm

If you are self employed/limited company you can use sponsorship of sports clubs etc as a marketing expense.
A sports club can be 1 bike rider and they can compete in pretty much anything (bc races, TT, sportive)

I use my company/s to sponsor myself as a 1 man team. I put through all my clothing (cycling kit-it has my company logos on it) I could also put through anything I spend with BC (licence, team registrations). I believe I could put more through such as parts, race entries.

The same could work if you found a company to sponsor your own team, it is a taxable expense for them, that is what is meant by "claiming back".

durhamwasp

Postby durhamwasp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 14:41 pm

Great explanation gazrichards, thanks a lot for that!

DavidJB

Postby DavidJB » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 pm

so....when are you going to buy me a bike.

RPD Steve

Postby RPD Steve » Thu Feb 07, 2013 18:42 pm

durhamwasp wrote:Just wondering if anybody knows about gaining a sponsor for an amateur team, and what the rules are?
Somebody told me recently that if a company sponsors an amateur team/club (for example sunday league football team) they can claim it back in their tax rebate... Anybody confirm this?
We are basically a team that compete in cyclocross and do our own rides for fun. Im thinking of trying to get us some new strips/shorts at a cost of around £300 and wondering if i can use this tax rebate thing as an extra reason for a company to buy us the strips with their name on?
Anyone have any experience in this?

I think your 90% there...

If they sponsor you for £1000 lets say, they can not get £1000 off their tax bill. As has been said above, it is the same as them spending £1000 on TV adverts etc. The 'tax rebate' comes in they will now haft to pay corporation tax on £1000 less profit. Depending on the size of the company that will result in them paying £240 or £200 less tax (depending if they are on small profits rate or main rate) than they would.

So to sponsor you £1000 may only 'cost' a company £800 or £760 respectively. You just need to make sure that if you do this with your own company that it is not seen as a 'benefit in kind' - that is where if in the opinion of a tax inspector- the 'sponsorship' is of more benefit to a relation of a director than it is to the company then they view that as tax fraud and you may be subject to a fine and repayment of the tax that was not paid or VAT reclaimed. (been there, done that, had it all out with both VAT and tax man!) lol

Return to “Amateur Race”