Any asthma sufferers?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
rjsterry

Re: Any asthma sufferers?

Postby rjsterry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:02 pm

When my symptoms returned (persistent dry throat/irritating cough) they checked me out pretty thoroughly (to make sure it wasn't anything more sinister), including a peak flow test. I remember the nurse commenting that my result was good, but then that didn't prove much as asthmatics frequently do have good peak flow when they aren't having an attack.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

vermin

Postby vermin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:21 pm

rjsterry wrote:When my symptoms returned (persistent dry throat/irritating cough) they checked me out pretty thoroughly (to make sure it wasn't anything more sinister), including a peak flow test. I remember the nurse commenting that my result was good, but then that didn't prove much as asthmatics frequently do have good peak flow when they aren't having an attack.

Exactly. Like I said, I'm pretty sure that asthma actually helps to train and condition the lungs so, when symptoms are not present, an asthmatic will often demonstrate excellent lung function.

Speaking for myself, unless I am wheezy, I always ping the end of Peak Flow Meters, giving a reading in excess of 1000l/min, cf the normal for my age of about 650.

I just haven't found the silver bullet to get it under control yet.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Mon Dec 03, 2012 18:39 pm

rjsterry wrote:When my symptoms returned (persistent dry throat/irritating cough) they checked me out pretty thoroughly (to make sure it wasn't anything more sinister), including a spirometer. I remember the nurse commenting that my lung function seemed good, but then that didn't prove much as asthmatics frequently do have good lung function when they aren't having an attack.

My last assesment by the nurse I gave her a shock with my resting heart rate as it was lower than the range it is "supposed" to be, she asked if I did any excersize as my peak flow is good too, just a pity it doesn't stay that way
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

Cornerblock

Postby Cornerblock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:04 pm

Thank gawd for the inhalers today, some of us are old enough to remember the dreaded spinhaler, by the time you had set it up you'd already be turning blue and then you had to actually try and find, from somewhere, enough breath to actually get the medicine into your lungs! :shock: I'm amazed I'm still here today.

Agent57

Postby Agent57 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 20:22 pm

I'm asthmatic. I used to just use the "blue" relief inhaler (Ventolin- salbutamol), but now I have a "red/yellow" preventer (Symbicort - budesonide/formoterol). The preventer takes care of most of my needs; I can't remember when I last used the blue one.

Certain things will probably trigger your asthma. You can avoid some of them to an extent (cigarette smoke is one for me), but others you just have to bear - cold, damp air makes winter hard work for me.
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

Anti_Podean

Postby Anti_Podean » Mon Dec 03, 2012 20:54 pm

Arthur Scrimshaw wrote:symptoms for me were coughing, so bad sometimes that I passed out on a few occasions through lack of oxygen!

This is the reason I still take Ventolin out of the house: the "asthmatic cough" nearly got me a few times.

The last time it hit, I was driving on a busy freeway in Oz at 110kmh... :shock:

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 21:12 pm

UndercoverElephant wrote:Miguel Indurain and Jan Ullrich had asthma, you know.

As do Lizzie Armitstead and Laura Trott...

I'm asthmatic (was diagnosed at 7; now 23), though pretty mildly. I've only had one incident that I'd call an 'attack', and that was this year, and it wasn't an ambulance job (and my wife is much worse than me and has had them that bad, so I have some perspective!). I use a preventer twice daily (Pulmicort/brown turbohaler) - doubled dose in winter - and a reliever when I need it. Cold air does the lungs no good but my asthma is very much under control and doesn't interfere with my cycling at all.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:18 am

rjsterry wrote:When my symptoms returned (persistent dry throat/irritating cough) they checked me out pretty thoroughly (to make sure it wasn't anything more sinister), including a peak flow test. I remember the nurse commenting that my result was good, but then that didn't prove much as asthmatics frequently do have good peak flow when they aren't having an attack.

my peak flow is rubbish i think i can get to about 400 now i should be at 600!!
Keeping it classy since '83

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:23 am

mudcow007 wrote:

my peak flow is rubbish i think i can get to about 400 now i should be at 600!!

I went as low as 250 once (I was in a&e though) usually it's around 800 so 400 would have me thinking of a gp visit to get my lungs listened to.

magoo289

Postby magoo289 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 21:33 pm

Looking at this thread I'm starting to wonder if this is an age thing!?

I'm on Seretide too plus 2 other steroids! Diagnosed last year at the age of 40 with chronic asthma!? I was assessed as having 47% lung capacity and told I had the lungs of person who had smoked all their life. Needless to say I don't smoke nor does any of my family. Over 12 months I tried various inhalers and tablets before settling on the drugs I am now on. Side effect is that I lose my voice due to the strength of the inhalers. Lung capacity now up to 69%. However, now I notice when I am short of breath, which I never noticed before. I only went to the doctor because I was wheezing when I ate too much diary products.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Tue Dec 04, 2012 22:12 pm

magoo289 wrote:Looking at this thread I'm starting to wonder if this is an age thing!?

I'm on Seretide too plus 2 other steroids! Diagnosed last year at the age of 40 with chronic asthma!? I was assessed as having 47% lung capacity and told I had the lungs of person who had smoked all their life. Needless to say I don't smoke nor does any of my family. Over 12 months I tried various inhalers and tablets before settling on the drugs I am now on. Side effect is that I lose my voice due to the strength of the inhalers. Lung capacity now up to 69%. However, now I notice when I am short of breath, which I never noticed before. I only went to the doctor because I was wheezing when I ate too much diary products.

Regarding the losing your voice thing, you are breathing in too quickly when taking the inhaler, breath in as slowly and as gently as possible, the inhaler is not making the turn into your lungs and is hitting the back of your throat, your gp should have showed you how to take it, it will work a whole lot better too.

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 08:46 am

magoo289 wrote:Looking at this thread I'm starting to wonder if this is an age thing!?

i hope not, im 29
Keeping it classy since '83

matt@theforce

Postby matt@theforce » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:18 pm

I too am a long term asthma sufferer. I've had it ever since I can remember. It is better than when I was a child but now live on my brown preventer twice a day and have to carry my blue inhaler everywhere with me and sadly my inhalers never make it to their expiry dates.

However, I'm the fittest I've been in the last 18years since I was in my late teens and did alot of cycling and canoeing.

There is no need for asthma to ruin/run your life, get out there and enjoy it to the best of your abilities :)

Matthew

lostboysaint

Postby lostboysaint » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:22 pm

And another. Clenil user and as long as I keep that up I don't need any "reliever" type inhalers. Never stopped me doing anything and it won't stop the OP as long as you get your meds sorted.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

vermin

Postby vermin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 15:31 pm

Seretide. Where have you been all my life? Amazing stuff.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:03 pm

vermin wrote:Seretide. Where have you been all my life? Amazing stuff.

Great isn't it, If I am clear of colds etc seretide is what keeps me breathing normally

The gp when I moved down here put me on something else (qvar) and I felt like cr@p and had to fight to be put back on it. I hardly use my blue inhaler if I am free of chest infections etc but I do before settling out on my bike 5 mins before as it stops excersize induced symptoms

vermin

Postby vermin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:14 pm

Paul E wrote:
vermin wrote:Seretide. Where have you been all my life? Amazing stuff.

Great isn't it, If I am clear of colds etc seretide is what keeps me breathing normally

The gp when I moved down here put me on something else (qvar) and I felt like cr@p and had to fight to be put back on it. I hardly use my blue inhaler if I am free of chest infections etc but I do before settling out on my bike 5 mins before as it stops excersize induced symptoms

I'm doing 35 miles per day at the moment, giving it all the beans in my suitcase, and not going near the blue.

For years, successive doctors have been pushing Becotide and for years I've been telling them it does nothing for me. Then, following comments on this thread, I saw another doctor and insisted on trying Seretide. Now my world is a completely different place.

I was told that doctors rarely prescribe it because it's so expensive. That may be true, but when the alternative is using the blue 20 times a day and still having difficulties, how can the NHS justify the saving?

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:26 pm

I have my original GP back in Sutton Coldfield to thank for putting me on seretide. Ahh thought it might come down to money, I know what you mean about Becotide not doing anything for you, I was the same on Qvar. Nothing beats breathing in without any of that weight on the chest feeling.

matt@theforce

Postby matt@theforce » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:28 pm

For all those interested I'm raising money for Asthma UK & Action Medical Research for Children later in the year by doing a charity CycleRide. While it might not seem like much of a challenge to most people, those with Asthma and seasonal triggers will know how hard this will be.

Action Medical Research - http://www.action.org.uk/sponsor/matthewchilton
Asthma UK - https://www.justgiving.com/matthew-chilton

Both Charity's do great work for Asthma sufferers and any donations will be greatly appreciated.

Matthew

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Thu Jan 31, 2013 16:43 pm

vermin wrote:I was told that doctors rarely prescribe it because it's so expensive. That may be true, but when the alternative is using the blue 20 times a day and still having difficulties, how can the NHS justify the saving?

They obviously didn't tell you that Ventolin et al cost roughly £2.99, and that Seretide is nearer £30

http://www.hartlepool.nhs.uk/includes/d ... y_2010.pdf

Return to “Commuting Chat”