bike purchase advice for friend - Sirrus or Tricross?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Luv2ride

bike purchase advice for friend - Sirrus or Tricross?

Postby Luv2ride » Fri Feb 01, 2013 17:26 pm

Going to look at a couple of bikes tomorrow with a friend who's new to cycling and thinks he wants a flat bar hybrid, but I've suggested he also looks at the Tricross as a "multi bike" option able to go reasonably quick on the roads but will also eat canel tow paths etc for breakfast (I've got a single speed version and love it).

He's seen a Spesh Sirrus Elite (2012) £430 and a Tricross Sport (2011) £695 at a local Spesh dealer. The spec of the Tricross is better, but it has a replacement fork without mudguard eyelets (something to do with a recall?)

The groupset of the Sirrus looks pretty low rent TBH, and I reckon the Tricross would be more adaptable and comfortable over longer journeys (more hand position options with the drop bars).

Anyone with any experience of the Sirrus as a fast flat bar bike? Any other options he should consider, Boardman, Giant?
cheers
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

oxoman

Re: bike purchase advice for friend - Sirrus or Tricross?

Postby oxoman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 22:38 pm

As a basic Sirrus owner i was pleased with its performance, yes there are better hybrids out there, having upgraded pretty quickly to a roadbike myself i would second your suggestion of trying the tricross or something similar. Depends what kind of riding he intends doing. Don't pick let him pick the first bike and try each one for fit.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 08:09 am

Depends on what the long term cycling objective is - if planning on doing rides longer than a couple of hours, a flat bar bike position can be uncomfortable because of the limited hand position. There's a reason why most road bikes have drop bars.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Luv2ride

Postby Luv2ride » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks both. He's off to look at a Tricross sport, although they got in a 2012 rather than the 2011 version I suggested.

Assuming the frame is the same, the 2011 (with Tiagra shifters, LX rear mech and CXP22 wheels) looks better than the 2012 with Alex Rims wheels and Sora groupset?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... port#specs

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... port#specs

Both available for same price
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Return to “Road Buying Advice”