Gore Phantom 2 Soft Shell

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
70\'sPenguin

Gore Phantom 2 Soft Shell

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 19:38 pm

Its time for a new jacket. Must be windproof and warm enough to just wear a base in this weather but have good breathability as i sweat terribly. Got to be well made also as this has got to last for at least a year or two.

After all ive read it seems the phantom is the "go to" jacket for my max budget of £100

Before i depart with my cash is there anything ive overlooked that is comparible in performace, value?

Cheers

rstabler11

Re: Gore Phantom 2 Soft Shell

Postby rstabler11 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 20:28 pm

I have a gore phantom 2 and really like it. Haven't tried anything else around that price range though so I can't compare.
I wasn't sure whether I should just go for a pure LS jacket, but I like that you can unzip under your armpits and get some good breathability there while still staying warm everywhere else.

blablablacksheep

Postby blablablacksheep » Sun Feb 03, 2013 22:18 pm

great jacket end of.

had mine nearly a year and its very wind resistant along with the fact its lasted all the washes ive put it through without much performance loss.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

camerauk

Postby camerauk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 13:13 pm

It's a fantastic jacket end of :)

I have had mine for about 18 months and its been great, I normally just wear a Endura baselayer under it and have been nice and warm even in -4/5 weather.
I have treated it once with a waterproofer and that has restored it's rain repelling properties back to when it was new (although it is not a rain jacket) I have been out for about 2 hours in the rain and it has held up very well.
I am sure you won't regret buying one
Specialized Camber Expert
Specialized Allez Sport

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:10 pm

Excellent. Winstanleys are selling an older model (medium) in white for £65 so im taking a punt on that seeing the silly price. Not an ideal colour but seeing as these are supposed to wash well i thought what the hell.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”