What completely baffles you?

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.

Re: What completely baffles you?

Postby fearby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 22:53 pm

fearby

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 23:06 pm

Peddle Up! wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
Peddle Up! wrote:
They are in free fall. In warped spacetime.

Please explain, I don't understand.

Have a look here and here

From the first link:

"Straight lines in the curved spacetime we can find using a little toy-car equipped with a pen", and tomorrow Bungle the Bear discusses the subject of the material principles of mixed bodies with his old pal Fozzie :cry:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 23:06 pm

Why 'baffle' is pronounced 'baffle'

but

'waffle' is prounounced 'woffle'
Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Fri Feb 01, 2013 23:07 pm

and why Sean Bean isnt pronounced Shorn Born, or Seen Been. :( :oops: :idea:
Cleat Eastwood

Postby ben@31 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 23:59 pm

thegreatdivide wrote:Why do fat girls wear leggings?

Why do fat people wear trainers? It's ironic we can tell the only running they do is running a bath and jogging their memory.
ben@31

Postby De Sisti » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:51 pm

Trainers are quite comfortable. You don't have to be partaking in any physical activity to benefit from them.
De Sisti

Postby Daz555 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 23:30 pm

De Sisti wrote:Why aren't all of the planets and the sun in free-fall in space? I suppose some sort of gravitational pull
is acting like a Star Trek Tractor Beam; no?

Sorry, what do you mean by "free-fall in space"?
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
Daz555

Postby De Sisti » Sun Feb 03, 2013 17:31 pm

Daz555 wrote:
De Sisti wrote:Why aren't all of the planets and the sun in free-fall in space? I suppose some sort of gravitational pull

As far as I'm aware, all the planets rotate around the sun, in space. I mean, what is holding up the planets?
Why don't they fall and keep falling? Look, don't give it too much thought. It's just one of those things that
crossed my mind when I was having a couple of pints.
De Sisti

Postby Capt Slog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 19:09 pm

Why the silly sod following me on friday at 4:30pm had headlights on (as had we all) because she considered it to be dark and therefore poor visibility, and yet at the same time was wearing sunglasses that she could almost use for welding.
Numquam calcitrare holitoris in genu.
Capt Slog

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 23:19 pm

De Sisti wrote:
Daz555 wrote:

As far as I'm aware, all the planets rotate around the sun, in space. I mean, what is holding up the planets?
Why don't they fall and keep falling? Look, don't give it too much thought. It's just one of those things that

They are falling - but they keep missing.
Bartimaeus

Postby Daz555 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 00:31 am

De Sisti wrote:
Daz555 wrote:

Are you saying that you think the entire solar system should be "falling" somewhere? Well just as the planets orbit the Sun, so our Solar system orbits other solar systems on our arm of the Milky Way and our arm orbits the Milky Way. The entire universe is a complex arrangement of celestial bodies orbiting around each other due to gravity. There is no up or down or down in space.

If you are wondering why the planets don't fall into the sun then this is because they are in motion:

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-ma ... rbits.html

Bartimaeus wrote:They are falling - but they keep missing.

Perfect!
Daz555

Postby ben@31 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:18 pm

What completely baffles me....

- The USA needs some money.
- So it phones up the Federal Reserve. Which isn't Federal and it has no reserve what so ever. It's a private cartel.
- The Fed literally puts some A4 paper into an inkjet printer and makes some $'s out of thin air.
- The Fed then LOANS this made up money to the USA and expects it paid back WITH INTEREST.
- The USA then has to pay this private cartel which it has no power over. Not even the President can go inside the Fed.
- The only way the USA can pay back this private cartel is by borrowing more conjured up money (perpetual debt) or by taxing the likes of you and me.

How is this scam allowed to happen?

How much money actually exists? They are printing more than what they actually have. If everyone were to get their paper money and do a run to the bank demanding it exchanged for gold or silver or oil or bikes, the bank could not do it. If you get a loan, the bank is giving you money that doesn't exist, it just creates more debt. But the bank collects interest on money it never had.

The paper money is a worthless I.O.U.

How can it be that all the people who work hard producing all the wealth in the world are in debt to those who lend made up wealth?
Last edited by ben@31 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ben@31

Postby Peddle Up! » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:42 pm

ben@31 wrote:What completely baffles me....

- The USA needs some money.
- So it phones up the Federal Reserve. Which isn't Federal and it has no reserve what so ever. It's a private cartel.
- The Fed puts some A4 paper into an inkjet printer and makes some $'s out of thin air.
- The Fed then LOANS this made up money to the USA and expects it paid back WITH INTEREST.
- The USA then has to pay this private cartel which it has no power over. Not even the President can go inside the Fed.
- The only way the USA can pay back this private cartel is by borrowing more conjured up money (perpetual debt) or by taxing the likes of you and me.

How is this scam allowed to happen?

How much money actually exists? They are printing more than what they actually have. If everyone were to get their paper money and do a run to the bank demanding it exchanged for gold or silver or oil or bikes, the bank could not do it. If you get a loan, the bank is giving you money that doesn't exist, it just creates more debt. But the bank collects interest on money it never had.

The paper money is a worthless I.O.U.

It's almost as if a rich and powerful elite run the show, and democracy is mostly a show. But that can't be right can it?
Purveyor of "up" :)
Peddle Up!

Postby Daz555 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:46 pm

What would happen if ALL national debt for every nation across the entire planet was cancelled TODAY.
Daz555

Postby ben@31 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:52 pm

Daz555 wrote:What would happen if ALL national debt for every nation across the entire planet was cancelled TODAY.

No debt = no money

As money is an IOU
ben@31

Postby seanoconn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:55 pm

Daz555 wrote:What would happen if ALL national debt for every nation across the entire planet was cancelled TODAY.

That Detective, is the right question.
Pinarello, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
seanoconn

Postby Daz555 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:55 pm

ben@31 wrote:

No debt = no money

As money is an IOU

Of course every transaction in a monetary system involves debt, even if only briefly.

I meant specifically national/public debt. What would happen if all nations suddenly stopped paying the repayments and interest on their national debt - US for example pays $400bn per year in interest alone. What would happen globally if this STOPPED at the same time for every nation on the planet?
Daz555

Postby Peddle Up! » Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:08 pm

I'm shocked, shocked to discover that our politicians can behave like mendacious criminals. :shock:
Purveyor of "up" :)
Peddle Up!

Postby ben@31 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:51 pm

Daz555 wrote:Of course every transaction in a monetary system involves debt, even if only briefly.

I meant specifically national/public debt. What would happen if all nations suddenly stopped paying the repayments and interest on their national debt - US for example pays $400bn per year in interest alone. What would happen globally if this STOPPED at the same time for every nation on the planet?

Unless farmer Giles exchanges miner Mike, a ham sandwich for some coal. But the problem is different people place a different value on things they trade.

National debt has to pay back both the loans AND interest, out of a pool that only contains loans. The debt can't be paid back because the interest money does not exist. The problem is the amount of interest on gov't loans now far exceeds the amount borrowed. So more and more debt money has to be created to pay it back. Perpetual debt.

I think the gov'ts are trapped, dependant on this money printing machine to fund things. If the govt's default the payments they will no longer get loans to pay for schools, hospitals, high speed rail links.
ben@31

Postby Pross » Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:42 pm

I've got another one that baffles me but if there's any Welsh speakers on here hopefully they can help! Driving across Anglesey last week and I noticed the signs for the village of Valley (i.e. where the RAF base is) show the Welsh translation as Y Fali. Now I always thought that Cwm is the Welsh word for valley so why the use of what just looks like a Welsh-ized version of the English word?

On a similar subject, I'm always baffled by the Welsh translation of a placename when the placename is apparently Welsh in the first place. For example there is a village near me called Llanelen but the Welsh translation is Llanellen so why not just spell it correctly in the 'English' version?
Pross

PreviousNext

Return to The Cake Stop