Contador's schedule

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
ThomThom

Re: Contador's schedule

Postby ThomThom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:45 pm

Pross wrote:Yep. I don't like Contador - not sure why as it goes back way before the Clen case and I agree with Frenchie's opinion of him as an exciting rider - but even I'm fed up of hearing the drug cheat / steak comments every time his name gets mentioned. I know he hasn't raced much since his ban but there hasn't been that much to suggest he's still doping - possibly THAT Vuelta stage but I'm not even sure that was really OTT compared to rides in the past. There's worse out there, they just haven't been as successful.

That stage in the Vuelta he won? I don't know why so many people see it as dodgy. He was riding solo for what.. 20 kilometres and lost time in every single of those solo kilometres and was eventually caught.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Tue Feb 05, 2013 16:12 pm

For Contador the Ardennes mean Waloon arrow and LBL. So no enormous loss, but I enjoy seeing big GC ridefs giving one dayers a good go.

Dave_1

Postby Dave_1 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 18:04 pm

I hope he gives up doping so we can see where he stands. He had an echo positive (fuente's words of warning to to Tyler)...the guy is a total liar and invisible to me in any results this year

Pross

Postby Pross » Tue Feb 05, 2013 20:20 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:He's scared of JTL

Isn't everyone? I read on some blog called intheGC or summit that he's the most exciting rider ever to come into cycling and will win everything in the next few years :wink:

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Tue Feb 05, 2013 20:27 pm

Pross wrote:

Isn't everyone? I read on some blog called intheGC or summit that he's the most exciting rider ever to come into cycling and will win everything in the next few years :wink:

That sounds like a really good blog.....

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 22:57 pm

LeicesterLad wrote:
Pross wrote:

In shockingly non-JTL-related news...I enjoyed your post on PK btw

micron

Postby micron » Tue Feb 05, 2013 23:21 pm

Contador going down the race less train more route just likecarmstrong, eh?

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 08:10 am

Richmond Racer wrote:
LeicesterLad wrote:
Pross wrote:

In shockingly non-JTL-related news...I enjoyed your post on PK btw

:D Thanks.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 08:51 am

micron wrote:Contador going down the race less train more route just likecarmstrong, eh?

Not really. There are a lot of races in between. He is also likely to race the Vuelta.

And he will go into all of the looking for the win or at least to test himself hard.

Lance's palmares outside of the Tour are pitiful.
Contador is the Greatest

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:16 am

Lance's palmares are pitiful full stop, won nothing after 1998 after showing some promise with a win in the worlds and Fleche plus a Tour stage win as a youngster. One of these riders that never lived up to their early potential by the look of it :lol:

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:20 am

Pross wrote:Lance's palmares are pitiful full stop, won nothing after 1998 after showing some promise with a win in the worlds and Fleche plus a Tour stage win as a youngster. One of these riders that never lived up to their early potential by the look of it :lol:

:lol:

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:40 am

Very good sir!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

micron

Postby micron » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03 am

Pitiful? Or piti.ful?

micron

Postby micron » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:07 am

Frenchfighter: I agree re: AC attitude to racing - he always turns up to win. Be interesting to watch this season - as someone commented he won the vuelta between his ears, not by making his mountain attacks stick. I hope there's an opportunity to see him and wiggins go Mano a Mano just to contrast their 2 very different styles and approaches to preparation

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am

Absolutely agree re Wiggins vs Contador. Not sure it will happen when they are both peaking though so may be slightly skewed.

I only hope he does up ended racing the Vuelta, even it is to go for stage wins or polka dots (unlikely I know).

The Vuelta last year he had half his legs given he had no racing prior just some hardcore training. Will see him at full strength this year.
Contador is the Greatest

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 am

The more I think about that Vuelta stage, the more I think JRod lost it rather than Contador won it. Sure it was daring but he lost so much of the time gained on the final climb 》one that wouldn't suit JRod anyway. Tactic paid off since JRod was rubbish that day.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

I think fighting spirit* is Contador's most admirable characteristic. Post-Giro, possibly injured, probably going to lose (and facing an almost inevitable ban), he still magnificently gambled the house on the 2011 Alpe stage.

I think it's possible to hold views like this while acknowledging that he has a doping conviction and participated in a farcical attempt to avoid responsibility.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0W__FNIGwA Just one example sorry 'bout P&P
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Pross

Postby Pross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 15:14 pm

If you're looking for a rider who always turns up to win then surely Wiggins last year is the man for you?

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 15:46 pm

No question. From the 2012 Vuelta, Wiggins was awesome. It's worth a look back at the "Can Wiggins win Tour" threads - peaking too early, can't survive 3rd week, will crack under pressure, a diesel not a coupe... - for perspective on how few believed he would do it. And I think that much of the abuse being hurled at Sky is down to their temerity at proving so many people wrong - "Clean British Tour Winner in 5 years".

I was just pointing out that despite Contador's flaws (trying to avoid a ban the biggest IMO), I can't help admiring his extravagant balls.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 16:49 pm

Pross wrote:If you're looking for a rider who always turns up to win then surely Wiggins last year is the man for you?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Home run for you!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Return to “Pro Race”