Spybike

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Wrath Rob

Spybike

Postby Wrath Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 09:37 am

Interesting idea, £100 for GPS tracking and SMS notification of theft.
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

iPete

Re: Spybike

Postby iPete » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am

Is there a carbon version yet?

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 am

i wonder how long the battery will last....

unless you charge it as you pedal along.

problem with motorbike trackers is that they run the battery down when the bike isnt moving
Keeping it classy since '83

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

mudcow007 wrote:i wonder how long the battery will last....

unless you charge it as you pedal along.

problem with motorbike trackers is that they run the battery down when the bike isnt moving

According to the blurb, up to 3 months, with a text being sent to you on low voltage trigger event.

Interesting device at a reasonable price.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:01 am

How long will it take for thieves to learn to throw away top caps?
As long as the other screws are tensioned properly, you don't even need one.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Jonny_Trousers

Postby Jonny_Trousers » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 am

Very cool. Even if this one's not the answer, it shows that workable, affordable trackers are on the way.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 am

One off price?

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

Something more hidden would be a better answer - assuming that most bikes now are addapting external type BB's it might be better to have something hidden away in there, as is mentioned its easy to throw away a top cap. - no so easy to remove cranks or BB.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 am

rubertoe wrote:Something more hidden would be a better answer - assuming that most bikes now are addapting external type BB's it might be better to have something hidden away in there, as is mentioned its easy to throw away a top cap. - no so easy to remove cranks or BB.

how sealed are bb's in the shell?

i reckon being at the bottom of the bike all the crud an crap that hits the bottom of the bike is asking for trouble
Keeping it classy since '83

bompington

Postby bompington » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:35 am

Problem solved - for the thieves, that is...

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 am

bompington wrote:Problem solved - for the thieves, that is...

Ha! I have the third one down in that picture. Provides amusing fun in quiet carriages & coaches, but of limited effect in open spaces.

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:11 pm

DrLex wrote:

Ha! I have the third one down in that picture. Provides amusing fun in quiet carriages & coaches, but of limited effect in open spaces.

I want one. I think I'd use it more than I use my phone!
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

TGOTB

Postby TGOTB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:23 pm

EKE_38BPM wrote:
DrLex wrote:

I want one. I think I'd use it more than I use my phone!

A "friend" of mine has one; he used to carry it with him all the time when he commuted by train. Used sparingly (only when phone users being genuinely obnoxious/inconsiderate) it provided a lot of satisfaction and entertainment :-)
Pannier, 120rpm.

Roastie

Postby Roastie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:18 pm

DrLex wrote:

As a regular quiet carriage user, I could do with one of those! Nothing worse than someone having a long, involved phone call when you're trying to work or catch some zees.

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:33 pm

Roastie wrote:As a regular quiet carriage user, I could do with one of those! Nothing worse than someone having a long, involved phone call when you're trying to work or catch some zees.

I bought it from dealextreme for £20 a few years ago and have lent it to friends who have had similar issues. Not sure I'd spend £60 as per bompington's link.
No doubt thanks to legal issues, DX have rebranded them as 'signal generators' - here's the guts of one like mine. £16 but may make you look like an OMFGTERRARIST!!!11! if you are spotted operating it on the train
Last edited by DrLex on Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:35 pm

They should just fit one to quiet carriages. That would make sense.

TGOTB

Postby TGOTB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:42 pm

Veronese68 wrote:They should just fit one to quiet carriages. That would make sense.

Right up to the point someone needs to make an emergency call. Also stops people accessing the web, which is a bit unnecessary...
Pannier, 120rpm.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:49 pm

TGOTB wrote:
Veronese68 wrote:They should just fit one to quiet carriages. That would make sense.

Right up to the point someone needs to make an emergency call. Also stops people accessing the web, which is a bit unnecessary...

True, hadn't considered web access. For emergency use they could have a switch fitted or something. The extra time taken would be minimal compered to the problem of getting to someone on a train. I very much doubt it would happen anyway.

The Cyclist of Catan

Postby The Cyclist of Catan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 am

It's not a case of "legal issues"; those jammers are flat-out illegal to use. Having lost a car to a car-jacker, I'd be in favour of shooting anyone using one, because they are a lot like flick-knives; there is almost no legitimate use for one. Though there's no reason at all why quiet carriages in trains couldn't be fitted with one which "fired up" intermittently for a short time; web browsing would be barely affected, but calls would drop out (save for the legislative nightmare it would cause - because they are very illegal to use). Fortunately, although they are probably becoming commonplace in the toolkit of the car-jacker, I don't think that bike thieves are likely to carry them as a matter of routine (at least while bike GPS trackers are so rare).

As to the Spybike/Spylamp, I've had a Spybike for about six months, and a new Spylamp2.0 for about six days. I've been posting in one of the MTB sections my experiences with the Spybike (in a nutshell, there are lots of points at which things have gone wrong, leading me to think that it's a bit like Linux was five years ago; it probably offers something to some people, but wasn't "mass-market" or mature enough for anyone who was looking for "plug and play" simplicity. At one stage I did consider whether someone might be following me around with a jammer!) The Spylamp2.0 has been a lot better - and I've got better at anticipating things which *I* can get wrong (like letting my SIM card run out of credit). I want to check out a couple more things about it before wholeheartedly endorsing it (such as "might it work in the back of a bike thief's van?"), but so far I'm thinking that it is worth the money; it's not much more expensive than a good D-lock (which you need to use anyway), it's a lot cheaper than the annual cost of insurance on a bike, and I feel that it really does improve the chances of getting it back if it's nicked (as well as providing peace of mind in the meantime).

What I have struggled with is finding a mobile phone SIM deal that suits it; contracts are Right Out (generally starting at a tenner a month), and lots of Pay As You Go SIMs seem to "time out" if they're not either topped up or used to make a call. Hopefully the SIM I just got from Ovivo will be ideal - a Pay As You Go SIM which *automatically* includes some free texts and data each month whether I top it up or not. And the Spybike/Spylamp needs to be able to send and receive texts and data, but only pretty infrequently - so a normal contract is OTT, and a SIM card which suddenly stops working because you didn't put a tenner on it last month (*cough* O2) is both expensive and largely useless in a device which really must work to be worth having.
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Drfabulous0

Postby Drfabulous0 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:19 am

A jammer in the quiet carriage shouldn't affect web access because trains have WiFi. They should be fitted as standard in all cars.

Return to “Commuting Chat”