Drum Roll, Boris said...............

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Carbonator

Drum Roll, Boris said...............

Postby Carbonator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:31 pm

No :-(

I did not get the RideLondon 100 magazine in the post today, but if you go on website you can log in and find out if you have a place.

It allows you to pay if you got a place and has a big red 'CANCELLED' if you did not.

Good luck ;-)

Flasher

Re: Drum Roll, Boris said...............

Postby Flasher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:43 pm

What's to stop you riding it anyway if you wish, they are public roads.

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:49 pm

The roads are closed for the event.
That was one of the cool things about doing it.

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:04 pm

Really, that's outrageous, it was ok to close the roads for the Olympics, but to do it on such a busy route for a sportive with participants of such differing levels is asking for trouble, day long road closures will get residents along the route hating cyclists more than ever, crazy.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:08 pm

Flasher wrote:Really, that's outrageous, it was ok to close the roads for the Olympics, but to do it on such a busy route for a sportive with participants of such differing levels is asking for trouble, day long road closures will get residents along the route hating cyclists more than ever, crazy.

Piffle!

It'll be billed as a massive health-promoting, charity fundraising, Olympic-memory-reminding, feel-good day, and with the elite riders belting round the same (almost) route during the afternoon, it'll be a spectacle.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

bompington

Postby bompington » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:18 pm

Flasher wrote:Really, that's outrageous, it was ok to close the roads for the Olympics, but to do it on such a busy route for a sportive with participants of such differing levels is asking for trouble, day long road closures will get residents along the route hating cyclists more than ever, crazy.

Presumably the London marathon has had the same problem for years?

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:29 pm

I'm just saying, I live in Surrey and loads of local residents were up in arms about the assorted road closures throughout Surrey for the Olympics.

As cyclists we can be very myopic about cycling, this is the kind of event that will only reinforce peoples hatred of cyclists, being forced to not be able to go out in your car for the day will drive certain residents (even) madder against cyclists!

Mikey1976

Postby Mikey1976 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:31 pm

YES!!

See you at the start line.

:)

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:41 pm

Flasher wrote:being forced to not be able to go out in your car for the day will drive certain residents (even) madder against cyclists!

It might, but not doing it won't make them like them.

I live close enough to the Twickenham Rugby ground for it to be a right PITA every few weeks, often two or more weeks in a row. Do I hate all rugby fans? No, I get over myself.

If I was going to be "disgusted of Twickenham" about it, if it wasn't that it would be something else.

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 16:54 pm

It's not an argument, I'll go out for a ride whatever, I'm just pointing out there are others to consider!

You choose to live in Twickenham knowing that there's a large rugby ground, there's a difference.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:32 pm

Flasher wrote:You choose to live in Twickenham knowing that there's a large rugby ground, there's a difference.

Well technically I chose not to move away from Twickenham having lived here all my life, and when I bought my house 20 years ago there were no pop concerts and the ground was much smaller so the crowds were smaller.

But yes, I'm not complaining, and I take your point.

Avoiding every activity if it inconveniences anyone else would result in very little ever happening. Cancel the London Marathon, the London Olympics, all football matches, all pop concerts that take place near where people live, etc etc.

It would be a very dull world, and I happen to think that live and let live is a better philosophy. Obviously there are limits, but I think most (nice) people tend not to be, rather than be, arses about something like this.

I wasn't even a cyclist during the Olympics last year, and plenty of the roads I use routinely were shut for days. I didn't get up on any high horse, it's much better to just go with the flow - there's a lot more enjoyment to be had that way than moaning.

And look, I'm a cyclist now. I definitely wouldn't be, were it not for the Olympics effect. Maybe there will be people that will get inspired to take up cycling by Ride London too.

dab_32

Postby dab_32 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:37 pm

I didn't get in, but it's not so bad as I couldn't do it for charity. I'm doing London-Paris in September so couldn't really ask for two lots of sponsorship in two months.

cyclingsheep

Postby cyclingsheep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 17:49 pm

I also didn't get in :( Never mind, still the Dragon ride and Etape Cymru on my calendar. As for road closures, that's more NIMBY talk. One Sunday a year isn't going to inconvenience that many people and there'll be more than enough warning I'm sure, also if roads are closed, despite not getting in i'll be one of the 'many' effected

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Thu Feb 07, 2013 18:37 pm

cyclingsheep wrote:As for road closures, that's more NIMBY talk.

Absolutely, not that I'm bothered personally, but many of my neighbours wont be at all happy. This is not a small area such as a football ground, concert venue etc. closed for 3/4 hours but 100 miles of specific closures with many many more roads being affected, and if like last year and the year befores test event not a rolling road blocks either but permanently closed roads from 6 in the morning until late in the evening with marshals/security being very strict and not allowing cars to cross the route even when cyclists weren't due for many hours, it was in a lot of instances, crazy.

Permanently closing roads doesn't ingratiate cycling to the locals, it tends to wee-wee them off, remember what happened at the Etape Caladonia a few years ago...........

Nick1972

Postby Nick1972 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 18:57 pm

I went on the website but can't see where to log in. Help would be appreciated.

Nick1972

Postby Nick1972 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:11 pm

No place for me. I'm considering the charity route..Congratulations to those who got a place

E17Blade

Postby E17Blade » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:12 pm

Pants. I'm not in either.

To charity or not to charity......

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:16 pm

Click on events/ride 100, then click on 'enrties' then a drop down box with 'ballot'.

Then click 'Pay Now'.

Let us know ;-)

team47b

Postby team47b » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:18 pm

Flasher, a career awaits you at the DM :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

nick300zx

Postby nick300zx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 19:38 pm

Nick1972 wrote:I went on the website but can't see where to log in. Help would be appreciated.

Go to Events - 100. Then Entries - Ballot. Click on 'Pay Now'. If it says Cancelled then you're not in.

I'm in. Time to get training :D

Return to “Road General”