Cranks turn but wheel doesn't

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
jefflad

Cranks turn but wheel doesn't

Postby jefflad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:09 pm

Hi, My mate's brought his bike round as having trouble pedalling. It's a old-ish bike but with the bike stationary and with the brakes on, you apply pressure on either pedal the cranks turn but the bike gives off a sound of a machine gun and obviously the bike isn't moving...

It's quite hard to see in the light if the teeth on the front cogs are just too worn but it happens on all 3 rings or is it something else, like the freewheel?

I guess it's one of these... has anyone a better idea or some pointers before we take it apart at the weekend?

nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: Cranks turn but wheel doesn't

Postby nicklouse » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:10 pm

buy a torch.

could be any and all of the above.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:15 pm

Can you see what's happening....is the chain moving, the rear sprockets?
Logically it's chain not being pulled round by the chainwheels, or the chain riding over the sprockets or a failure of the rear freewheel so the sprockets are spinning not the wheel, shouldn't be hard to figure which!

jefflad

Postby jefflad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 20:28 pm

Yeah, it looks to be the freewheel, we'll take it apart at the weekend and have a proper look.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 21:50 pm

I've never seen a chainset so worn that the pedals turn and the wheel doesn't, that would be impressive indeed!

Freehub/freewheel depending on how expensive the bike is.

jefflad

Postby jefflad » Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:23 am

njee20 wrote:I've never seen a chainset so worn that the pedals turn and the wheel doesn't, that would be impressive indeed!

Freehub/freewheel depending on how expensive the bike is.

LOL... I know, in the cold light of day when we were having a beer watching the end of the England game we did agree it can only be the freewheel at the back :)

jefflad

Postby jefflad » Thu Feb 07, 2013 18:56 pm

All sorted now... it was the freewheel... it's amazing what parts you can 'borrow' of the wife's bike :roll:

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”