3 sets of maps in garmin bundle question (Which one)

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
mosa

3 sets of maps in garmin bundle question (Which one)

Postby mosa » Thu Feb 07, 2013 14:23 pm

ive just seen an option to get a garmin with city navigator, europe and os? do you get 3 cards with maps on each or do you select a map within the unit from the same card?

Too complicated this process. 1 shop says i need enduro bundle with os another says city navigator. All i want is road & postcoad directions that covers all uk roads i wot be going off road or abroad.

options are :- 810 ultimate bundle 3 sets of maps or an 800 with city navigator? bothe with hrm & ccad sensor.

what do i need??

ps i dont want to download my own

cheers all!
My bikes

2013 Cervelo S2 FOR SALE IN BIKE SECTION

freezing77

Re: 3 sets of maps in garmin bundle question (Which one)

Postby freezing77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 14:58 pm

You can have more than one map on a single micro sd card and choose which map on the unit.
City navigator europe is fairly detailed for coverage of the uk and should suit your needs.

apreading

Postby apreading » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:04 pm

You only need the OS maps if going off road. Having said that, they are about £150 to buy later so if you want them then get them as part of the bundle. If you want Europe then I would get the City Navigator maps, but if you just want UK then I would get no maps (you can always buy City Navigator Europe for about £40 later) and download the free OS style ones from Talkytoaster - they are better than both the Garmin map sets (IMO) and FREEEEE

freezing77

Postby freezing77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:08 pm

This is a screen shot of city navigator

Original herehttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8229/8452552857_f99388852d_b.jpg

freezing77

Postby freezing77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 15:14 pm

apreading wrote:You only need the OS maps if going off road. Having said that, they are about £150 to buy later so if you want them then get them as part of the bundle. If you want Europe then I would get the City Navigator maps, but if you just want UK then I would get no maps (you can always buy City Navigator Europe for about £40 later) and download the free OS style ones from Talkytoaster - they are better than both the Garmin map sets (IMO) and FREEEEE

Whilst I like and use openstreetmap they do not fulfil the original requirements as set out .
i.e. openstretmap does not support post code search
ps i dont want to download my own

Carl_P

Postby Carl_P » Thu Feb 07, 2013 21:28 pm

apreading wrote:You only need the OS maps if going off road. Having said that, they are about £150 to buy later so if you want them then get them as part of the bundle. If you want Europe then I would get the City Navigator maps, but if you just want UK then I would get no maps (you can always buy City Navigator Europe for about £40 later) and download the free OS style ones from Talkytoaster - they are better than both the Garmin map sets (IMO) and FREEEEE

So do the free OS style ones enable you to create a route in your favourite software e.g. RidewithGPS and so on, upload it to your Garmin and then effectively get turn by turn instructions?

What's the advantage of the paid for software, if any? NB UK only works for me.

Thanks.
Van Nicholas Euros
Dolan Preffisio
Giant SCR2
Specialized Langster

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

freezing77

Postby freezing77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 21:51 pm

Carl_P wrote:

So do the free OS style ones enable you to create a route in your favourite software e.g. RidewithGPS and so on, upload it to your Garmin and then effectively get turn by turn instructions?

What's the advantage of the paid for software, if any? NB UK only works for me.

Thanks.

The free openstreetmap will do as you suggest i.e. give turn by turn instructions depending on how you create the gpx file. Whether you get turn by turn instructions depends on how the route is created and generally not the mapping if it is routable. Openstreetmap can be obtained in routable and non routable versions.
Openstreetmap does not support post code search but it has other advantages over the bought maps that in most cases it is more detailed.

freezing77

Postby freezing77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 21:59 pm

clayboy

Postby clayboy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 02:00 am

Hello all,
just to jump in on this post.

I have been looking at the garmin 800 for a while now, I will be using it off road and onroad, from looking at the prices and the info above, I will be best off getting the package with MicroSD-Discoverer 1:50 UK, then buying the City Navigator Europe caed if i need it.

Would you agree?

Also is there any reason the why the offroad package with the more expensive mapping card is cheaper than the road package withCity Navigator Europe?

apreading

Postby apreading » Fri Feb 08, 2013 08:28 am

clayboy wrote:I have been looking at the garmin 800 for a while now, I will be using it off road and onroad, from looking at the prices and the info above, I will be best off getting the package with MicroSD-Discoverer 1:50 UK, then buying the City Navigator Europe caed if i need it.

Would you agree?

Yes - definitely if you want both maps

clayboy wrote:Also is there any reason the why the offroad package with the more expensive mapping card is cheaper than the road package withCity Navigator Europe?

Does the road package also have cadence and heart rate sensors? Often it does and if so then this could be why its more.

clayboy

Postby clayboy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 am

Both packages contain cadence sensor, hrm and the garmin 800. Looks to that the map is the only difference

Return to “Road Buying Advice”