Sky and David Walsh

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
No tA Doctor

Re: Sky and David Walsh

Postby No tA Doctor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:07 pm

Above The Cows wrote:
No tA Doctor wrote:My dad used to watch cycling with me, he'll be turning 70 this year. He's not on twitter, being neither cool nor a kid. He's not on this forum either, not being middle-aged and untrendy. How will you canvass his opinion? Is he not a stakeholder because he's too old, too technologically backward, or what?

Me too! Mine's a little older, 77, and has dementia now. It's partly why I joined here as my cycling sounding board is not really up to it anymore. :( He does follow the odd race but can't remember who a lot of people are and gets things confused so discussing stuff is hard. Although he did come on skype earlier to tell me Cav had won Qatar. :) I've watched cycling with him all my life and he's been cycling all of his and no one asked his opinion. He'd have given you a good one too when he could, having tried his luck as an amateur in France until a heart problem and certain practices put paid to those dreams.

To be fair, he's not really all that interested really, he prefers going out for a ride to watching. He was quite keen on Hinault and then Fignon though. Never really warmed to Lemond, but that's probably because he's American (he does like jazz, blues and 60s soul though). ;-) But it wasn't a huge stretch of imagination to think of him as a committed fan of 40 or 50 years standing, so he worked as a rhetorical device. Sorry dad.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

iainf72

Postby iainf72 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:07 pm

ddraver wrote:
iainf72 wrote:Ahhh, people using things made by Americans to say that Americans are good for nothing. I love the internet.

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop on an internet developed by a british bloke - can I play? ;)

Which kind of processor and OS are you running there sonny?

Berners Lee did a good job, but the foundations of the internet were payed for and developed by the 'mericans.

And as for the cheese, yes. Completely agreed. It's not even cheese.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Slim Boy Fat

Postby Slim Boy Fat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:08 pm

RichN95 wrote:
iainf72 wrote:Ahhh, people using things made by Americans to say that Americans are good for nothing. I love the internet.

You should judge a nation by its cheese. And their cheese is bad.

Yeah but they have lots of it and stick it on anything. Surely that means they win?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:08 pm

andyp wrote:Calling it cheese is being generous.

Monterey Jack? Bleurgh...

America's cheese board - now THAT would be a suitable target for TRC.

No tA Doctor

Postby No tA Doctor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:09 pm

RichN95 wrote:

Beer is the true measure of a nation.

They've just about started getting it together the last ten years.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:15 pm

A N Poster wrote: Noam Chomski.

Mods. This is the red flag that a thread has disappeared up its own ars*.

(I like Chomsky (y not i), but he tends to get brought up frequently in internet threads that don't concern him)
Twitter: @RichN95

Above The Cows

Postby Above The Cows » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:22 pm

Correlation is not causation.

"He's not the new Merckx, he's just a very talented cyclist!"

Blazing Saddles

Postby Blazing Saddles » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:41 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:Rich, you're following the fine tradition of Winston Churchill - wrote many of his finest speeches after a few libations.

Performance Enchancing Drinks. :wink:

This thread has become very heavy going.(nowhere)
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:46 pm

I agree with Blazing - can we close this now? it's been nothing but trouble.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:46 pm

Last edited by RichN95 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter: @RichN95

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:47 pm

Slim Boy Fat wrote:
RichN95 wrote:

Yeah but they have lots of it and stick it on anything. Surely that means they win?

I was being ironic, Iain. You'll tell me they invented that, next...

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 21:51 pm

Above The Cows wrote: OK you totally didn't understand what I was getting at with structure and agency.

Only pro-cycling can do this ^. Jaw-dropper of a post. :shock:
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Fri Feb 08, 2013 22:52 pm

iainf72 wrote:
ddraver wrote:

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop on an internet developed by a british bloke - can I play? ;)

Which kind of processor and OS are you running there sonny?

Berners Lee did a good job, but the foundations of the internet were payed for and developed by the 'mericans.

And as for the cheese, yes. Completely agreed. It's not even cheese.

Dunno, it's black....?
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:44 pm

LeicesterLad wrote:I agree with Blazing - can we close this now? it's been nothing but trouble.

Exactly. Terrible.

ratsbeyfus

Postby ratsbeyfus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:52 pm

Rather than close the thread, people who are enjoying it and want to read more should just visit this one:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12903463
----------------------------------------------------------------

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Fri Feb 08, 2013 23:53 pm

philbar72 wrote:
LeicesterLad wrote:I agree with Blazing - can we close this now? it's been nothing but trouble.

Exactly. Terrible.

How much of it have you read, though?

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:11 am

This has been an amazing thread from the start. Almost every page has a post from the heart that made me think. Change the topic to something more appropriate by all means, but why wouldn't we want more people to read this stuff?

YorkshireRaw

Postby YorkshireRaw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:18 am

micron wrote:YR know what I tell my bad lads? Get on a bike. It gives you freedom, independence. I point to the success of GB/Sky/cav as something to aspire to - you know what? Turned a lot of them onto the sport, even had a few go up and see Hoy preview his new bike the other day. The thought that my home county will be hosting the TdF depart makes my heart sing. The thought of fireworks on the champs élysées for the centenary of the tour is thrilling. But I'm a fan of the sport first and foremost, not any team or rider. If I wanted to follow teams I'd watch football. Vaughters idea of franchises and the WSC - in which he was a prime mover - fills me with dread.

You say there was evidence against Armstrong in 99 - when did you acknowledge it? In 99? Or after USADA? Because in 99 there was rumour & suspicion & innuendo. Still, as Brailsford says, hindsight is a wonderful thing

Yes '99. Because I could remember him being utter tripe in the tour pre-cancer, and because they were going faster post Festina. Plus the Cortisone issue. And the bullying of Bassons. In other words some of those pesky facts you still seem to ignore vs. the current situation.
I was at Uni at the time and involved in an Endurance sport - average level myself but there were guys there who were internationals and had seen some unpleasant stuff going on in Europe - didn't take much to convince us there was something afoot with the LA fairy story. (EDIT duplicated line)

Good work on the bad lads - truly mean that. But I'm sure you'd be appalled if people went round saying you must be a burgalar / mugger / drug dealer just because you associate with them. And that's through choice. Wiggins had no say in who his employer also hired (Leinders) and AFAIK there is no evidence they every worked together or attended the same events. Do you know different?
Last edited by YorkshireRaw on Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:25 am

For example, this caught my eye from far up-thread:
iainf72 wrote:The biggest problem with this is that in the grand scheme of things, Sky and Walsh have the same employers.

No way there are only 2 trustworthy/credible/literate... cycling journalists: Walsh or Kimmage?

YorkshireRaw

Postby YorkshireRaw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 00:38 am

Ref. Sky & Walsh being the same company. I thought the Murdochs didnt have control of Sky and that was what all the Jeremy-whatsit (Culture sec) who-ha texts were about? Obviously I'm sure they have a big influence.
Sky news didn't exactly shy away from covering all the goings on to do with Phone hacking and the NOTW though, so give them some editorial credit, and grant the same to Walsh & The ST.
If you read Walsh's book he comes across as clear in his own mind and doesn't look like he'll take editorial direction he doesn't agree with. His current status is Sky (!) high so am sure he could easily walk to the Telegraph or wherever if he felt undue editorial pressure.
DO wish he'd turn his interest in exposing 'I don't believe what I'm seeing' to one of his other sporting loves though, and dig into how those Rugby Union backs have got so big and much quicker....

Return to “Pro Race”