My Hernia Op

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
kingrollo

My Hernia Op

Postby kingrollo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:13 pm

Go under the knife tomorrow for my hernia op. Its open surgery not keyhole, and have been advised I will be as good as new in six weeks .

Its a day case so should be home in the evening.......Will keep you posted.......

ShutUpLegs

Re: My Hernia Op

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:28 pm

Good luck
I Like Black Bikes

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:31 pm

Surgeons are very good and techniques have improved with recovery time taking far less, im sure you will be fine, best of luck to you.
Living MY dream.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 16:06 pm

Good luck with it, sure you'll be back to normal pretty soon
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

crankycrank

Postby crankycrank » Mon Feb 11, 2013 16:14 pm

My neighbor and riding buddy just had his second hernia op a week ago today. He was basically confined to sitting and sleeping the first 3 days or so and just stopped using his vicadin pain killers yesterday and is progressing well and doing a little walking around again. He said he thinks he's recovering a little faster than the first surgury 15yrs ago so possibly techniques have improved but can't say for sure. He was given the 6 weeks till full recovery estimate as well. (and no bike riding till then) Make sure you have someone available to help you out if you need it as just getting up from a chair can be challenging and painful. Errands and food shopping will probably out of the question for a couple weeks, possibly you'll recover faster but just be prepared. This is of course only what I have seen with my friend and not to replace the advice from your doctor. Almost forgot, depending on what pain killers you're using if you get constipated a big glass of prune juice (yuck!) should help get things moving. Get well soon.

laurentian

Postby laurentian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 16:46 pm

Got mine on March 6th! Good luck!!
Wilier Izoard XP

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:16 pm

OP Here, - Day 1

Thanks for the messages of support.

Home from hospital now - all went pretty well, went down the theatre @ 9am - and was back on the ward @ 12 nooon - don't remember a thing !

Pain is only about 6/10 - not a bad as I thought it would be. Getting up and down from sitting is a bit painful - and standing becomes painful after a few minutes. I am hobbling about but more mobile than i thought i would be.

Really not looking forward to taking the dressing off - or my first dump ! - I am eating plenty of apples and beans - so I don't strain on the loo !

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Mon Feb 11, 2013 17:18 pm

I had this op too, wasn't a hernia, but same place, 3 to 4 inch scar, could hardly move for first few days, but was gently jogging within 2 weeks and cycling within 3.
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

AK_jnr

Postby AK_jnr » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:14 pm

I had mine done in 2009 at the age of 21. The week after I could not move without my stomach going in to spasm, the most painful thing ever. To make maters worse the surgeon did a shiit job so it kept getting infected for months. I was off work (carpenter) for 7 weeks. All good now though. No problems since and that includes football, cycling, weightlifting all sorts.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:20 pm

Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

kmc319

Postby kmc319 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:41 pm

I had my hernia done last June. Op was on the Wednesday, walked my son to school on the Thurs morning (3 miles) - painful but bearable. Back on a bike on Sunday - not a great idea. Cycled about 15 miles to and from work on the Monday - much better than the Sunday was. It doesn't sound it but I was being careful and it all healed fine. Got signed off by the consultant chap about 2 months after the op - and that was partly due to the consultant being on holiday so the appointment got delayed.
Hope it all heals well for you.

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 19:48 pm

O/P Here - Day 2

Bit rough today folks - took my last set of painkillers @ 8.30 last night - meaning my six hourly dose was due @ 2.30am - I was asleep ! - so didn't take these until 6.30am - I was awake a while before with the pain - but any movement had me yelping with pain.
Stayed in bed until 1pm - with hindsight not a good move, as get up from a lying position - is more difficult and painful then getting up from a sitting position. Hobbling about like ive rode 400 miles on horseback.

Hopefully tomorrow the pain will ease off, at least a little - really not looking forward to taking that dressing off !

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 20:09 pm

Cheers for the tip about the prune juice - just had a "the eagle has landed moment" - pure heaven !

cyco2

Postby cyco2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 20:44 pm

I had my op a few weeks ago. A key hole job so cannot add to the problems you gents had. My recovery consisted of riding 200 miles within a week of the op because I didn't feel a thing. However, because of blood creep from the tummy wound down to my equipment I ended up with blue balls. Which I was warned about could happen.
...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:15 pm

Day 3

a bit of progress today - felt a lot better first thing, the dressing came off easier than I thought....touch wood the scar looks in good nick.

Taking the pain killers every six hours - getting up and down out of chairs \ bed is still a process I do very carefully - and my crown jewels have gone a deep crimson colour !, as has part of the little fella himself .....hopefully normal service will be resumed in the next few days....

VTech

Postby VTech » Wed Feb 13, 2013 18:23 pm

kingrollo wrote:Day 3

a bit of progress today - felt a lot better first thing, the dressing came off easier than I thought....touch wood the scar looks in good nick.

Taking the pain killers every six hours - getting up and down out of chairs \ bed is still a process I do very carefully - and my crown jewels have gone a deep crimson colour !, as has part of the little fella himself .....hopefully normal service will be resumed in the next few days....

I couldnt help but laugh :mrgreen:
Glad your getting better though.
Living MY dream.

turbo1191

Postby turbo1191 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 20:58 pm

Had a hernia op 3wks ago.. open surgery like yourself. not sure my surgeon was the best as i was in a good deal of pain for 4-5 days. hobbled about for a few days after that. sitting seems to be the sorest thing for me because of where the wound is.. i couldnt even contemplate going on the bike just now. my recovery seemed slow at the start but i seem to be better day by day now. my advice would be to do as much walking etc as you can without causing too much discomfort..Oh, and plenty of laxatives before your first dump as it could be painful!

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 21:31 pm

turbo1191 wrote:Had a hernia op 3wks ago.. open surgery like yourself. not sure my surgeon was the best as i was in a good deal of pain for 4-5 days. hobbled about for a few days after that. sitting seems to be the sorest thing for me because of where the wound is.. i couldnt even contemplate going on the bike just now. my recovery seemed slow at the start but i seem to be better day by day now. my advice would be to do as much walking etc as you can without causing too much discomfort..Oh, and plenty of laxatives before your first dump as it could be painful!

Day 4 - at my lowest eb today - really anxious as to whether this has indeed made things worse.

I am pretty mobile - but have the feeling of something not being right - just above\below the scar is tender but numb to touch - and I still need as many painkillers as I did on day one.

Really thought I would be further down the line than I am - so thank you 'Turbo1191' as my experience seems similar to yours and your post has re assured me a little.

turbo1191

Postby turbo1191 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 21:44 pm

Yeh, I like you had looked on forums with regards to recovery times etc and was amazed when people mentioned how quick the seemed to have recovered. Im now 3wks down the line and have still got a bit of numbness round the wound. Im back at work today but doing light duties and no heavy lifting for another 3 weeks.

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 20:44 pm

Day 6

Went to the GP yesterday - who checked everything was in order and basically was about where I should be 5 days in. Doubled up on the painkillers today - which has helped alot. Actually went out for a little walk.

I am actually quite liking the prune juice ! - does the trick as well

Return to “Road General”