Who's doing Milton Keynes/more2sea

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
boogi11

Who's doing Milton Keynes/more2sea

Postby boogi11 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 21:45 pm

Just wondering if anybody has done or is doing either of these, I think the more2sea might kill me,

Calpol

Re: Who's doing Milton Keynes/more2sea

Postby Calpol » Thu Feb 07, 2013 22:26 pm

Did you mean the Evans Ride It - MK sportive on 14th April. I have signed for the 90 mile - getting a bit nervous now though as haven't ridden much in last 2 months.

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:28 pm

That's the one. Me neither it should be fine, it's not hilly. If you see somebody on a blue bianchi say hello, I'll have the look of someone who know what they are doing, the speed of somebody who obviously doesn't

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Mon Feb 11, 2013 21:50 pm

Maybe we could tow each other round! Riding two up easier than solo!! I'll be looking similarly pro on a Wilier (until we get moving)

vala

Postby vala » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:25 pm

Should be doing this with a couple of mates. Not sure yet which option we're going for. Going to be on a singlespeed Cotic Roadrat.

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:30 pm

vala wrote:Should be doing this with a couple of mates. Not sure yet which option we're going for. Going to be on a singlespeed Cotic Roadrat.

I look forward to seeing you get up Bison Hill with that!! You must be uber fit!!

vala

Postby vala » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:35 pm

The gearing currently isn't very difficult tbh, only 63" but I'll tell my mates we need to factor in that in our training rides.
Anything remotely similar closer to Milton Keynes?

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:57 pm

vala wrote:The gearing currently isn't very difficult tbh, only 63" but I'll tell my mates we need to factor in that in our training rides.
Anything remotely similar closer to Milton Keynes?

There are a few around me.

Search Strava for

Hexton Hill 13 - Its a steady climb for about 1.5km
Sundon Hill - a bit shorter and steeper
Sharpenhoe Clappers - short but probably the steepest sections

All these climbs are within 2-3 miles of each other and will give you a nice work out.

vala

Postby vala » Tue Feb 12, 2013 00:02 am

Thanks for that.
I've made a note and will try and factor them all into our training rides.

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 04:24 am

I'm doing the MK 90 miles with a mate.
What is this bison Hill? Steep? Long? Both? :)
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Tue Feb 12, 2013 09:12 am

Charlie Potatoes wrote:I'm doing the MK 90 miles with a mate.

Its a hill next to Whipsnade Zoo. It certainly was on the route a couple of years ago and probably at around the 80 mile mark. Its not long but quite steep. You certainly know you are working when ascending it

http://www.strava.com/segments/bison-hill-617752

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 17:31 pm

Calpol wrote:
Charlie Potatoes wrote:I'm doing the MK 90 miles with a mate.

Its a hill next to Whipsnade Zoo. It certainly was on the route a couple of years ago and probably at around the 80 mile mark. Its not long but quite steep. You certainly know you are working when ascending it

http://www.strava.com/segments/bison-hill-617752

Thanks Calpol.

Best I save a bit for 80 miles in then :shock:
:D
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 18:42 pm

Calpol wrote:Maybe we could tow each other round! Riding two up easier than solo!! I'll be looking similarly pro on a Wilier (until we get moving)

Cal pol, me and my mate will be doing it your more than welcome to join us, I can't imagine we will take it very seriously. I now have satnav which I did not do on y last sportive, hence I did 120miles on 100mile sportive. I'm not sure what car parking will be like, but if you see a 62 plate mercedes vito sport, I will probably be in the back cooking porridge, come and say hello. Is it your first sportive. This is my tester for the stupid Exeter sportive in September

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Tue Feb 12, 2013 19:01 pm

boogi11 wrote:
Calpol wrote:Maybe we could tow each other round! Riding two up easier than solo!! I'll be looking similarly pro on a Wilier (until we get moving)

Cal pol, me and my mate will be doing it your more than welcome to join us, I can't imagine we will take it very seriously. I now have satnav which I did not do on y last sportive, hence I did 120miles on 100mile sportive. I'm not sure what car parking will be like, but if you see a 62 plate mercedes vito sport, I will probably be in the back cooking porridge, come and say hello. Is it your first sportive. This is my tester for the stupid Exeter sportive in September

Hi.
Its my first official 90 mile ride. I will probably park at my Aunt's in Old Farm Park. I should imagine that there will be load of parking the other side of the railway line in the actual MK. Its a very short ride up to the start point from there. Alternatively Codicote Lake has parking which might not be a bad idea. I aim to ride at c15mph pace average so hardly threatening any records!

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 19:25 pm

That is bout the same as us, say hello if you see us

vala

Postby vala » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:54 am

Just booked onto the 90 mile ride with a friend. And the Cotic has been replaced with a Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Alexvs

Postby Alexvs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 13:17 pm

Thought I'd sign up as only 2 days away, so who's looking forward to it/wondering if they've over-estimated their abilities :-p

I'll put myself in the possibly over-estimating my ability as the longest ride I've done so far is around the 60ish mile mark and still recovering from knee pains. I'll be riding with vala and have just had a proper fit by velomotion at (all3motion) so hoping that will help with the pains I was having before. I can certainly say I'm preparing for a lot of soreness and can imagine waddling around after. I'll be riding over from Kents Hill as I'm not lazy enough to drive round the corner lol.

I'll be on a Specialized Secteur Comp and if the weather's as nice as it's supposed to be will be in my red/black BMC kit so say hi if you see me and vala. We'll be over first thing so to get out in the first group(s).

See you there.

Calpol

Postby Calpol » Fri Apr 12, 2013 14:31 pm

Alexvs wrote:Thought I'd sign up as only 2 days away, so who's looking forward to it/wondering if they've over-estimated their abilities :-p

I'll put myself in the possibly over-estimating my ability as the longest ride I've done so far is around the 60ish mile mark and still recovering from knee pains. I'll be riding with vala and have just had a proper fit by velomotion at (all3motion) so hoping that will help with the pains I was having before. I can certainly say I'm preparing for a lot of soreness and can imagine waddling around after. I'll be riding over from Kents Hill as I'm not lazy enough to drive round the corner lol.

I'll be on a Specialized Secteur Comp and if the weather's as nice as it's supposed to be will be in my red/black BMC kit so say hi if you see me and vala. We'll be over first thing so to get out in the first group(s).

See you there.

Definitely in the same category. Seriously considered bailing into the medium route but am going to turn up and have a go at the 86 miler. It doesn't look too hilly from the course profile if Garmin is correct. I did a 50 miler with 3000ft of ascent on Sunday and was ok ish. I reckon if i can get into a small group I might be ok as 50 to 60 solo miles is prob worth a bit more in a group. Weather forecast looks ok but likely headwind at start. I will be on my white and silver Wilier Izoard. If you fancy adding another rider to your peloton give me a shout :)

Alexvs

Postby Alexvs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:03 pm

Calpol wrote:Definitely in the same category. Seriously considered bailing into the medium route but am going to turn up and have a go at the 86 miler. It doesn't look too hilly from the course profile if Garmin is correct. I did a 50 miler with 3000ft of ascent on Sunday and was ok ish. I reckon if i can get into a small group I might be ok as 50 to 60 solo miles is prob worth a bit more in a group. Weather forecast looks ok but likely headwind at start. I will be on my white and silver Wilier Izoard. If you fancy adding another rider to your peloton give me a shout :)

It'll be ok we'll get out in a group and it'll make things a lot easier and make the most of any descents where we can. I'm awful at hills but manage to get up Ashridge so as long as that's the biggest type of hill I'm happy. If the weather gets worse I may still bail and stick with the medium at the splitting point but I really want to get the 86 done and under the belt as my notch towards doing the Dunwich Dynamo which is 120 miles in July. The more people we can get in a group the better as will help stay at a consistent pace so you're more than welcome to join us, like I said we'll be there to set off with the first group if possible :)

mpatts

Postby mpatts » Fri Apr 12, 2013 16:25 pm

I live in MK (woburn sands), so would be rude not to. There are a bunch of us doing it, can;t wait!
Insert bike here:

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”