Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
sneill
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 14:42 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby sneill » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:11 am

Anyone see the Metro this morning? I never read the thing, but large print on the front page this morning was "Put Cyclists First". The Wiggo/Sutton accidents although terrible, will hopefully do some good for us on the roads.

User avatar
cookdn
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2011 16:05 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby cookdn » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:42 am

cookdn (obviously asleep) wrote:Is it me or has BikeRadar lost some of this morning's posts behind the sofa? I am sure it was this thread that MRS and I were commenting on the Chris Boardman Radio 4 interview from last night. :?


No, it is here :oops: :

Thank you BBC (and chrisbl4)!
Last edited by cookdn on Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boardman CX Team

User avatar
Kieran_Burns
Posts: 9834
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:14 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby Kieran_Burns » Fri Nov 09, 2012 09:45 am

cookdn wrote:Is it me or has BikeRadar lost some of this morning's posts behind the sofa? I am sure it was this thread that MRS and I were commenting on the Chris Boardman Radio 4 interview from last night. :?


viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12876938&start=40

moved due to relevance of the topic being discussed I would think.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

User avatar
Blacktemplar
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 17:22 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby Blacktemplar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:10 am

PeteMadoc wrote:
First Aspect wrote:Lights and reflectives? He was probably moving much faster than she expected and didn't indicate to go straight on at the not a junction. Her view was probably obscured by a lamp post, or the wind. She was blinded by the moon.

In a way, while I hope that he's okay, I sort of hope that this can be turned into a benefit. Wiggo is an eloquent bloke and it will be hard for even Mirror readers to argue that he doesn't know what he is doing. I hope he is massively outspoken about it in response to some ignorant interview questions, I really do. (Best steer clear of the c-word though mate).

The BBC concluded their breakfast news article with, "the driver was unhurt". No fcuking sh!t.


Yes, whilst it is awful and I wouldn't wish something like this to happen to anyone, this is a great opportunity to raise the issue of drivers behaviour around cyclists

Unfortunately it will probably be another opportunity missed. It's an issue that we all face every day and I really hope wiggo speaks out.

I think this might have more legs than you would imagine - Queen Vicky on the Beeb this morning advocating more respect between all road users, CTC on the main 6 o'clock news, the media in general starting to wake up to the fact that riding on our sh1tty bike-unfriendly roads is not helped by some drivers' attitudes.....etc...etc...

Hope springs eternal that this might be a tipping point of sorts...
"Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
Mark Twain

User avatar
CiB
Posts: 5780
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 08:24 am

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby CiB » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:28 am

Blacktemplar wrote:I think this might have more legs than you would imagine - Queen Vicky on the Beeb this morning advocating more respect between all road users, CTC on the main 6 o'clock news, the media in general starting to wake up to the fact that riding on our sh1tty bike-unfriendly roads is not helped by some drivers' attitudes.....etc...etc...

Hope springs eternal that this might be a tipping point of sorts...

I wouldn't hold your breath - it's a nine-day wonder that'll disappear as soon as something else comes along to replace it. Judging by the comments under various newspaper reports about the two incidents it'll take more than a couple of news items to change most drivers' views on cyclists. It turns out that we're not very popular. At all.

User avatar
rjsterry
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 18:26 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby rjsterry » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:41 am

CiB wrote:
Blacktemplar wrote:I think this might have more legs than you would imagine - Queen Vicky on the Beeb this morning advocating more respect between all road users, CTC on the main 6 o'clock news, the media in general starting to wake up to the fact that riding on our sh1tty bike-unfriendly roads is not helped by some drivers' attitudes.....etc...etc...

Hope springs eternal that this might be a tipping point of sorts...

I wouldn't hold your breath - it's a nine-day wonder that'll disappear as soon as something else comes along to replace it. Judging by the comments under various newspaper reports about the two incidents it'll take more than a couple of news items to change most drivers' views on cyclists. It turns out that we're not very popular. At all.


I dunno, Cracknell has penned another understandable (given his personal circumstances), but rather misguided article in the Telegraph and the responses to that have been pretty encouraging. Less so on the Wiggins/Sutton articles.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

User avatar
DrLex
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby DrLex » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am

Once again, The Daily Mash has the inside track...

User avatar
JamesB5446
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 17:25 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby JamesB5446 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:49 pm

rjsterry wrote:I dunno, Cracknell has penned another understandable (given his personal circumstances), but rather misguided article in the Telegraph and the responses to that have been pretty encouraging. Less so on the Wiggins/Sutton articles.

Urgh, I can't stand that prick.

User avatar
TailWindHome
Posts: 10571
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:57 am

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby TailWindHome » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:18 am

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

User avatar
ToeKnee
Posts: 369
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby ToeKnee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 15:21 pm

A van driver who knocked Sir Bradley Wiggins off his bike has accepted the offer of a driver awareness course, police have said ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-21442987
Seneca wrote:It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.

Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.

kelsen
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:23 pm

Re: Wiggo in hospital after car crash

Postby kelsen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 15:33 pm

ToeKnee wrote:
A van driver who knocked Sir Bradley Wiggins off his bike has accepted the offer of a driver awareness course, police have said ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-21442987

What exactly do they teach in these courses?

Lesson #1: These are your eyes
Lesson #2: This is how they work
Lesson #3: Making use of the information they provide


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DulwichIron, menthel, phills, Polkascott, prowlbass, Surrey Commuter and 7 guests