Ultremo ZX HD

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Hubcap

Ultremo ZX HD

Postby Hubcap » Fri Feb 22, 2013 07:17 am

Looking for advise from people who have bought these recently, have they sorted out the sidewall issues or are they still prone to catestrophic failures? Want to try a pair but don't like the thought of a blowout at speed :o

ant.rocket

Re: Ultremo ZX HD

Postby ant.rocket » Fri Feb 22, 2013 09:17 am

Been running a pair since middle of last summer with no issues on poor roads.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 09:26 am

never suffered any issues with multiple sets - still have 2 sets on different bikes, although not being used on winter roads just yet.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

nferrar

Postby nferrar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55 am

I've been using Ultremos for years and not had the sidewall bulge/de-lamination issue myself, a mate's ZX bulged early last year though so I wouldn't guarantee they've sorted the manufacturing but I'd say it's happens a lot more rarely than you might think (as in the few with the issue post about it and the thousands without don't post about it).

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:24 pm

I think older models were prone to failure but the ones I have used since back end of 2011 onwards have been perfect. Do cut easy but no massive sidewall ruptures as have been mentioned in the past. I think if people do still get them they are most likely old stock being palmed off. There is a slight difference in design with the coloured ones in last few years. If you get the ones with a white outline around the edges of the lettering they are later models and should be more reliable. I have not used the HD version much but the DD are outstanding tyres. Would continue to use them over anything else on the market.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”