Noddy question about changing a tyre

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
RobertSims

Noddy question about changing a tyre

Postby RobertSims » Fri Mar 08, 2013 13:10 pm

I know this is a real noddy question (especially as I've been cycling for 9 months) but had my first puncture the other day and had to change my first tube. Did it ok, no problem but all the instructions etc. say be careful to not pinch the tube under the rim when putting the tyre on.

Now I obviously didn't (as wheel still ok) but how would I know (obviously before it went flat!)? What do I need to check/look for when putting the tyre on to check I'm not pinching the tube?

Thanks

Sad isn't it - I can change and set up brakes, service the wheel hubs, index the gears - but need to ask about changing a tyre!!!!!
Triban 3

Slowbike

Re: Noddy question about changing a tyre

Postby Slowbike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 13:20 pm

Just what I do ....

I always put a bit of air in the tube when fitting it - not too much, but enough to keep it's shape.

Then, carefully putting the tyre back on - visually check you're not pinching any tube - then go around the whole wheel and just pinch in the sidewalls of the tyre - to get them off the rim - gives the tube a final chance to pop out from being trapped ...

MrChuck

Postby MrChuck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 13:58 pm

Like slowbike I partially inflate the tube and then it pretty much keeps itself out of the way. A few strokes from a minipump is enough, just to stop it flopping about.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 14:36 pm

Yep me too for adding a little air then putting it in the tyre & then putting both on the rim. If you pop the value through the rim and leave the retaining screw nut off then once the tyre is seated and start to fill the inner it keeps the inner as far away from the rim as you can get.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

RobertSims

Postby RobertSims » Fri Mar 08, 2013 15:13 pm

Slowbike wrote:Just what I do ....

I always put a bit of air in the tube when fitting it - not too much, but enough to keep it's shape.

Then, carefully putting the tyre back on - visually check you're not pinching any tube - then go around the whole wheel and just pinch in the sidewalls of the tyre - to get them off the rim - gives the tube a final chance to pop out from being trapped ...

Cheers guys, I put some air in tube anyway so that was probably why didn't pinch it. You said -visually check your not pinching it - how? I pushed rib into central well as went round to look for inner tube sticking underneath - is this what you mean?

Thanks
Triban 3

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Fri Mar 08, 2013 15:25 pm

it's just as you're putting the tyre back on - usually it's just a roll over with the hand - but as you're pushing it up to the rim just check you're not pinching any tube - would be easier if they made tubes/tyres different colours ... !

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 16:47 pm

RobertSims wrote:
Slowbike wrote:Just what I do ....

Cheers guys, I put some air in tube anyway so that was probably why didn't pinch it. You said -visually check your not pinching it - how? I pushed rib into central well as went round to look for inner tube sticking underneath - is this what you mean?

Thanks

yes once the tyre is on and before you pump up the tube to pressure go round and press each side of the the tyre bead back towards the centre of the rime and check there is no inner tube caught underneath it. Also press the valve up and down a bit gently to check the tube moves freely inside the tyre at that area - that's a bit I have caught before!

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Fri Mar 08, 2013 18:22 pm

Hope you check tyre for debris before refitting, majority of repeat punctures come from stuck sharps not removed as opposed to tube pinch

Return to “Workshop”