Orange or yellow for hi-vis?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
ChrisAOnABike

Orange or yellow for hi-vis?

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sat Mar 09, 2013 13:25 pm

I'm effing sick of ending up freezing cold on some of my longer rides recently, so I've decided to get a windproof (not waterproof) jacket...

I'm looking at the Altura Night Vision Windproof Jacket, either in yellow or orange.

Any recommendations as to...

a) is this a good bet at about 65 quid?
b) is there much to choose between the 2012 and 2013 versions?
c) yellow or orange for better seeability?

Ta muchly.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

pkripper

Re: Orange or yellow for hi-vis?

Postby pkripper » Sat Mar 09, 2013 13:32 pm

Orange every time. It's far more of a differentiated colour from backgrounds and hence makes you more noticeable. Not that you can tell from some of the driving I've come across.

The key is contrast to the background.

Fredtheghost

Postby Fredtheghost » Sat Mar 09, 2013 14:20 pm

As for getting cold, it's the base layer that matters, I have rode the whole winter never got cold. Helly hensen vest and long johns, merino mid vest and gore jacket. Enduro gloves and most important overshoes and head cap. As for being seen in the winter two back lights even during the day one flashing one constant. Reflective tape on your top hope this helps

cougie

Postby cougie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 23:03 pm

I think yellow or orange both stand out a mile. I'm always amazed to see riders all in black on wet and dull days. The weather was so crappy this morning I had the lights on for my car. There are a lot of dopey drivers out there - it pays to stand out.

giant man

Postby giant man » Sun Mar 10, 2013 08:10 am

haven't seen much orange out and about, hi-viz wise. Pink on horse riders is getting popular, though.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

upperoilcan

Postby upperoilcan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 09:33 am

Orange for working on the railway,yellow for everything else !
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

passout

Postby passout » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:05 am

I went for an orange Hi Viz jacket by Mavic recently. Cost £85 from Ecosse cycles - fully waterproof and impressively breathable material. Athletic fit & good quality. It's the second brightest thing in the solar-system. See:
http://road.cc/content/review/48153-mav ... h2o-jacket

I think there is a windproof (not waterproof & not called h2O) version as well which looks good, just as bright & a bit cheaper I think.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

jamiekavanagh

Postby jamiekavanagh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am

I have the Altura Night Vision in yellow and I love it. Not only is it a good quality build, it's brighter than bright. From my first ride wearing it I found the drivers of Wiltshire giving me more room than ever before. It's so bright they can see me from miles away on a flat, straight road. I paid £90 for mine a few months ago and I haven't looked back.

I chose yellow because most high vis on the roads is yellow. Being a colour that drivers expect to see makes you more recognisable as far as I'm concerned. The orange makes you look more like a traffic cone than a cyclist and that can't be good!

t4tomo

Postby t4tomo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 am

jamiekavanagh wrote:I chose yellow because most high vis on the roads is yellow. Being a colour that drivers expect to see makes you more recognisable as far as I'm concerned. The orange makes you look more like a traffic cone than a cyclist and that can't be good!

So how many drivers think "traffic cone - I'll drive into it"?

And if yellow is such a better colour, why aren't traffic ocnes yellow?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

jamiekavanagh

Postby jamiekavanagh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 am

How many drivers think cyclist, I'll drive into them? Not many I'll bet, yet they still do it.

I didn't say yellow was a better colour, I said it is more recognisable as a colour that is worn in high visiblity situations. Road crews, rail workers, crossing guards, recovery drivers to name a few, all wear high vis yellow and as such is more recognisable than orange. Yellow is also the colour the HSE recommends wearing in health and safety situations. You should ask them why they chose yellow and not orange if you really want to know.

In a choice between the two, I would go for the one that needs the least thought on the part of the driver. I for one, would rather be quickly recognised as a a person on the road than an inanimate object any day.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Aactually rail use orange.
Yellow is the new Black.

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 pm

jamiekavanagh wrote:

How many drivers think cyclist, I'll drive into them? Not many I'll bet, yet they still do it.

I didn't say yellow was a better colour, I said it is more recognisable as a colour that is worn in high visiblity situations. Road crews, rail workers, crossing guards, recovery drivers to name a few, all wear high vis yellow and as such is more recognisable than orange. Yellow is also the colour the HSE recommends wearing in health and safety situations. You should ask them why they chose yellow and not orange if you really want to know.

In a choice between the two, I would go for the one that needs the least thought on the part of the driver. I for one, would rather be quickly recognised as a a person on the road than an inanimate object any day.

Conversely, I would argue that the sheer prevalance of yellow makes you more likely to be absorbed into a sea of commuter blandness and driver acceptance, whereas orange carries more impact as it's less expected.

jamiekavanagh

Postby jamiekavanagh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Conversely, I would argue that the sheer prevalance of yellow makes you more likely to be absorbed into a sea of commuter blandness and driver acceptance, whereas orange carries more impact as it's less expected.

I'm not sure a place where drivers are blind to hi vis would be safe to ride whether you wore yellow or orange!

I did my CBT many years ago and my instructor said "Be predictable, be where a driver expects you to be and you'll live longer. Make it easy for drivers to see and anticipate your movements and you should avoid trouble," or words to that effect. So I'm not sure of the detriment of yellow being accepted by drivers as long as they recognise it for what it is. Road wars aside, no driver wants to be late home for their dinner or have the life of a cyclist on their conscience.

I guess it's subjective, I live in Wiltshire, so there aren't all that many cyclists with hi vis on around here. If you live in London or somewhere it's probably a bit different. People round here seem to treat me better wearing mine, certainly better than if I'm wearing team colours or something.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:00 pm

Must admit, I'm inclining towards yellow.

I was out yesterday and happened to see two riders next to one another - one in a yellow hi-vis and one in orange.

The yellow one was much more obvious to me at least.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:01 pm

jamiekavanagh wrote:I have the Altura Night Vision in yellow and I love it. Not only is it a good quality build

And comfy and light?

Not worth going up the price range to something like Gore?

dwanes

Postby dwanes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:10 pm

I have come to the conclusion that hi-viz does not work any better than wearing black for preventing collisions. In towns and cities there is too much colour noise going on, and out on the open road it is also down to careless driving, plain stupidity, driving with eyes closed, etc.
Ive been wearing Hiviz this winter and I have been amazed at the near misses, only averting collision because of MY actions.

cougie

Postby cougie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:14 pm

I dont think the OP wanted it for commuting ? I don't commute - just ride weekends - but you can spot any fluo colours miles off in the country lanes.

Black and grey are the worst for visibility, and then blue. Black and white striping can be quite good I find.

jamiekavanagh

Postby jamiekavanagh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:47 pm

ChrisAOnABike wrote:
jamiekavanagh wrote:I have the Altura Night Vision in yellow and I love it. Not only is it a good quality build

And comfy and light?

Not worth going up the price range to something like Gore?

Entirely up to you. I'm far from an expert rider, I do maybe 60 miles a week, but the Altura is fine for me. It's windproof, shower proof, the zips and fastenings are solid enough and there is enough extra fabric at the back to keep the wind out if you're wearing tights. The side vents are also very effective for when you heat up.

I haven't tried any Gore jackets so I really don't know how they compare.

cougie

Postby cougie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:51 pm

I'm not convinced goretex can cope with the amount of sweat put out when cycling.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:56 pm

cougie wrote:I dont think the OP wanted it for commuting ?

No indeed, just for recreational rides during daylight (or at worst dusk). Mostly I want it to stop the wind, and be breathable enough to let the moisture out without freezing my t!ts off in the current brass-monkey conditions.

Hi-vis was an afterthought, really, but obviously better that than invisible.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”