buying BTwin Rockrider Big RR 5.3 29er - bad idea?

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
Tea1023

buying BTwin Rockrider Big RR 5.3 29er - bad idea?

Postby Tea1023 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 02:25 am

went over to decathlon yesterday to try out the standard 26" Rockrider 5.3 as im looking around the £300 mark, but ive kinda got a man crush on the 29er here
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-big-rr-53-mountain-bike-white-id_8202905.html for a little bit more.

Ive never owned or ridden a 29er but from what little i could ride around the shop it felt like great fun!

am i making a mistake, either buying a 29er and/or at that price? im struggling to find a good review of it online.

I dont want to go too off topic in the 26 vs 29 debate, ive read quite a bit online already, and im mostly going to be commuting and XC trails, am 5'11", so i reckon it'll suit well?

is it good value for money though @ £350? any alarm bells in the quality/components?

im just getting back into mtb's after a few years hiatus and im on a tight budget, but im pretty clueless. :oops:

thanks for any and all input its really appreciated!
Ty

Clank

Re: buying BTwin Rockrider Big RR 5.3 29er - bad idea?

Postby Clank » Thu Mar 28, 2013 07:52 am

Anybody else would want 500+ for a bike of that spec. It is good value for money and the Rockriders are generally considered quite highly around these forums.
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 08:01 am

Looks very good value, it has a damped fork, and reasonable drivetrain, no component stands out as being poor, downsides are mechanical discs and it's rather heavy weight. Compare to a 26er Carrera Vulcan, there you have no hydraulic fork, but get hydraulic discs and nearly 1Kg less heft......you pays your money and makes your choice!

An early upgrade to good used hydraulic brakes would cost you circa £60 and loose you about 300g......

Height has nothing to do with whether a 29er suites you better!

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Thu Mar 28, 2013 08:55 am

The Beginner wrote:Height has nothing to do with whether a 29er suites you better!

Tosh, very tall people on xl 29rs look like regular people rather than gigantic freaks. I'd say they suit 29rs perfectly.

The don't suit small people at all as they make little people look like toddlers.

Tea1023

Postby Tea1023 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 09:43 am

thanks everyone for the input!

I'll pick it up this afternoon! I'm so excited I couldn't sleep last night. the last 'new' bike I owned was a giant boulder many years ago that got stolen, and I've been peddling rubbish ever since.

I'm a little worried I won't be able to mess around on the bike jumping off things cause it's so physically big, but time will tell I guess.

excuse the noob ignorance, but what are the benefits of hydrolic disks over mech? and dampened forks?

I'm going to get a better set of pedals while I'm there, cause the stock look rubbish. are peddles all equal, or are some more equal than others? suggestions?

congrats on the 10 000 post-mark The Beginner!

thanks guys!

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 09:58 am

ride_whenever wrote:
The Beginner wrote:Height has nothing to do with whether a 29er suites you better!

Tosh, very tall people on xl 29rs look like regular people rather than gigantic freaks. I'd say they suit 29rs perfectly.

The don't suit small people at all as they make little people look like toddlers.

So it looks aesthetically better? Does that really matter?
Wheel size has nothing to do with how well a bike actually fits a person.

EH_Rob

Postby EH_Rob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 am

ride_whenever wrote:

Suiting a bike isn't a visual thing though is it, its about how it feels for you to ride.

If 29ers are for tall people why do they make small 29er frames? or larger/xl 26ers?

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 am

EH_Rob wrote:
ride_whenever wrote:

Suiting a bike isn't a visual thing though is it, its about how it feels for you to ride.

If 29ers are for tall people why do they make small 29er frames? or larger/xl 26ers?

Really? Honestly??? :roll:

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:38 am

ride_whenever wrote:
EH_Rob wrote:
ride_whenever wrote:

So you would choose a bike based on how you look on it rather than how it actually fits you?

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 am

RockmonkeySC wrote:
ride_whenever wrote:
EH_Rob wrote:
ride_whenever wrote:

So you would choose a bike based on how you look on it rather than how it actually fits you?

Definitely, why would I choose something that looks bad when I hang my FF helmet on it whilst sitting around at the head of the trails? 8)

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:54 am

That's not what was said though is it? Most people don't use a bike as an extension of their schlong.

What we are saying is that buying a bike just because you think it looks better is wrong, you buy the bike that does the right job and if two are equal by all means buy the better looking.

Want to tell Steve Peat he looks daft on his mere 26"?

Clank

Postby Clank » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Tea1023 wrote:
but what are the benefits of hydrolic disks over mech? and dampened forks?

I'm going to get a better set of pedals while I'm there, cause the stock look rubbish. are peddles all equal, or are some more equal than others? suggestions?

.....aaaaand getting back on topic (thank you gents, take it outside, if you please!)

That bike will do you plenty good enough to find your feet, and your fitness. It's not going to be a downhill monster or 'awesome freeride bike', but for getting around the trail centres and countryside - it'll do admirabley.

Hydraulic disc brakes generally require less maintenence and upkeep than mechanical disc brakes, and they're often more consistent and powerful, with a lighter lever feel. They are however more expensive (hence they're not fitted to the Rockrider).

As for a damped fork - drop a coil spring on its end and see what happens - damn thing will bounce nearly as high as where you dropped it from - this is an example of an undamped system. Damping slows the rate of compression of the spring so that the spring can compress and absorb the impact in a slower and more controlled way. It dissipates this energy as friction in whatever the damping medium is. It gives much more control and stops your fork feeling like a pogo stick (which can actually be pretty dangerous (drive a car with shock absorbers and you'll see what I mean!).

Damped forks are good.

Pedals - spend a few quid on something flat and reasonabley grippy (my 'Fat Spanners' were twenty quid). No need to spend mega-bucks. Start cheap - see how long you can make them last and upgrade when they're knackered. Grippy pedals however are relatively threatening to shins if your foot slips off them - you have been warned! :lol:

But the pedals are grippy, so that shouldn't happen, right? :lol:
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Those forks aren't really what you would call properly damped though about as good as you will get for the money.

Tea1023

Postby Tea1023 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:03 pm

thanks for the great info Clank! i wish we could +rep on this forum.

RockmonkeySC anything better around that wont stretch the budget too much?

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 14:07 pm

Voodoo Bantu at Halfords will give you hydraulic discs and a better damped fork on 26" wheels for similar money.

97th choice

Postby 97th choice » Thu Mar 28, 2013 15:47 pm

I personally think that the really budget 29ers are a real bad idea, they will be heavy, with poor components and heavy wheelsets. But that's just an opinion not backed up with facts before someone goes off on one.

That said, Decathlon make decent frames, so if the frame is light it could be a good starter that can be upgraded.
Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
Radon ZR 27.5 Race
Btwin Alur700
Merida CX500

Tea1023

Postby Tea1023 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 15:58 pm

oh god not more choice :/

ive also been recommended to spend the extra on this Orbea Dakar Disk

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/dakar-disc/

so what would ye get? voodoo, orbea or the 29er BTwin?

Tea1023

Postby Tea1023 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 16:01 pm

i hear what youre saying 97th choice, but the 29er is just about the same spec'd as the others here (apparently, not that i know what im talking about), and is the lightest here @ 14.1kg according to decathlon.

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 16:17 pm

Tea1023 wrote:oh god not more choice :/

ive also been recommended to spend the extra on this Orbea Dakar Disk

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/dakar-disc/

so what would ye get? voodoo, orbea or the 29er BTwin?

whoever recommended that need a good talking to, an orbea salesman by any chance ?
    voodoo by a long way
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

Tea1023

Postby Tea1023 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 21:36 pm

ha, yea it was a bike shop selling orbea etc, but he was convinced it was the best all round. wont touch it so thanks for the heads up!

you prefer the voodoo to the BTwin though?

honestly, knowing me, ill be upgrading parts over time anyway, there are always some form of avid juicy's for sale at my uni mtb club, so im not swayed to the voodoo for its brakes alone.

is there a way to do a poll on here, just between the voodoo bantu, the RR 29er and the stock rockrider 5.3 26"?

while at decathlon I picked out some accessories, just wondering if anything is a dud?

bar ends (80mm):

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/short-bar-ends-80mm-black-id_8203953.html

bladder bag (£20 in store):

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hb-72-water-pouch-grey-blue-id_8203174.html

cheapo bottle cage:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bottle-cage-5-black-id_8157313.html

trip computer:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/count-8-counter-wireless-id_8173018.html

bike lock (amazon) (as recommended in another thread here):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035JJORS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

chain (amazon, as above):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035RQZYK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ADFI59O5XI21B

and some cheap £10 pedals not on decathlons website.

if anyone knows of better equipment for similar money id be really grateful.

thanks for all the help so far everyone! im buying tomorrow come snow or shine.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”