What's with the baseball caps?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
neeb

What's with the baseball caps?

Postby neeb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 22:02 pm

Why do sponsors force pros these days to wear baseball caps during presentations etc. when cycling historically has its own style of cap that looks much better in any case?

I hate baseball caps.

Crankbrother

Re: What's with the baseball caps?

Postby Crankbrother » Tue Apr 02, 2013 22:23 pm

A 'casquette' is seen as bikewear, whereas baseball caps can be worn for any photo opportunity where the rider isn't wearing dress clothes ... and fashion ...

neeb

Postby neeb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 22:46 pm

Most of the times i see baseball caps the riders are in bikewear in any case though, e.g. before and after races. I think it would be nice if the sponsors used the appropriate headwear on such occasions. Might even make casquettes more fashionable and so give them a new marketing tool, you never know..

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Apr 02, 2013 22:51 pm

neeb wrote:Why do sponsors force pros these days to wear baseball caps during presentations etc.

Probably because in most of the interviews etc the camera is a head only shot e.g. Spartacus @ RVV last weekend with his sponsors cap on.

Guess the teams & sponsors have just figured this out that we tend to have more of a football style interview in the press area with the race sponsors logos plastered on a temp wall behind the riders and the camera pointed at riders who then walk in for their allocated 3-5 minute slot.

Do tend to think that it looks a bit 'odd' myself but guess the riders are paid to wear what they are told & thats part of it. For what its worth I recall Rapha doing an interview and stating that they do not have and have not plans to make a Sky baseball cap.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Wed Apr 03, 2013 06:12 am

Baseball caps are a huge style failure. They are one of the chavviest items of clothing on the planet.

Vino'sGhost

Postby Vino'sGhost » Wed Apr 03, 2013 22:39 pm

Yellow Peril wrote:Baseball caps are a huge style failure. They are one of the chavviest items of clothing on the planet.

Now team onezies to keep warm at mountain top press events would be epic :)

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Thu Apr 04, 2013 00:45 am

Danlikesbikes wrote:
neeb wrote:Why do sponsors force pros these days to wear baseball caps during presentations etc.

Probably because in most of the interviews etc the camera is a head only shot e.g. Spartacus @ RVV last weekend with his sponsors cap on.

At least he doesn't always wear a baseball cap.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 08:47 am

knedlicky wrote:At least he doesn't always wear a baseball cap.

Would certainly look different if that were part of the team uniform, if a little OTT!
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Return to “Pro Race”