Not good...

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
User avatar
mudcow007
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 18:06 pm

Not good...

Postby mudcow007 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 15:08 pm

just seen this on BBC

not good at all....
Keeping it classy since '83

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23069
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Not good...

Postby The Rookie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 15:36 pm

No, not at all good.....one hopes this wasn't a hit and run but 'natural causes' at least.

User avatar
Veronese68
Lives Here
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:48 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby Veronese68 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 15:38 pm

Not good at all. The thought of someone dying alone and away from home saddens me even more. According to this they reckon nobody else was involved and it was in a village.

User avatar
EKE_38BPM
Posts: 5852
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:42 am

Re: Not good...

Postby EKE_38BPM » Mon Dec 02, 2013 19:37 pm

A few years ago there was a report about an elderly cyclist found dead on a country road. Apparently he died suddenly (I can't remember the cause) and no-one else was involved. He was a lifelong cyclist and had no family or close friends.

I think that isn't a bad way to go: Out for a 50 miler in the fens (or dale or whatever) doing what you love.

Maybe this guy had the same sort of thing. I hope so.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Bryn_Mawr003
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 17:54 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby Bryn_Mawr003 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 23:00 pm

I ride on this road at least once a week. It is a popular climb and generally known to cyclists as Bwlch Penbarras. It is a tough climb from Llanbedr-Dyffryn-Clwyd. I'll think of this guy next time I ride it. Deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

TGOTB
Posts: 3409
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 15:16 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby TGOTB » Mon Dec 02, 2013 23:33 pm

EKE_38BPM wrote:A few years ago there was a report about an elderly cyclist found dead on a country road. Apparently he died suddenly (I can't remember the cause) and no-one else was involved. He was a lifelong cyclist and had no family or close friends.

I think that isn't a bad way to go: Out for a 50 miler in the fens (or dale or whatever) doing what you love.

Maybe this guy had the same sort of thing. I hope so.

+1 - I'd be happy to go that way when my time comes...
Pannier, 120rpm.

johngti
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 16:29 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby johngti » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am


User avatar
Veronese68
Lives Here
Posts: 13600
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 15:48 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby Veronese68 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:16 am

TGOTB wrote:
EKE_38BPM wrote:A few years ago there was a report about an elderly cyclist found dead on a country road. Apparently he died suddenly (I can't remember the cause) and no-one else was involved. He was a lifelong cyclist and had no family or close friends.

I think that isn't a bad way to go: Out for a 50 miler in the fens (or dale or whatever) doing what you love.

Maybe this guy had the same sort of thing. I hope so.

+1 - I'd be happy to go that way when my time comes...

You two obviously have a more optimistic outlook than I do. I must try harder to look on the bright side.
I'm 'glad' it was natural causes. Obviously sad that he has lost his life, but at least it wasn't a hit and run or anything like that.

Headhuunter
Posts: 6334
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Not good...

Postby Headhuunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:37 pm

My dad found a guy who'd died on his own out in the countryside near where he lives. He was out on his MTB and the guy was just lying on the ground on his own, lips a bit blue, no pulse... Apparently someone else came along with a dog and stayed with the body and my dad rode off to get the police etc. He'd had a cardiac whilst out running...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

User avatar
The Rookie
Posts: 23069
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 09:29 am

Re: Not good...

Postby The Rookie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 16:12 pm

We lost a member of staff at work, was taking a car from one site to another, never turned up, found by the BiB parked up with the engine running and him still in the driver seat, PM gave the cause of death as a massive heart attack, reckoned he'd have been conscious for no more than 20-30 seconds from start to end, not nice but better than clinging pn knowing you are going for weeks or months IMO.

User avatar
Mikey23
Posts: 5206
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 16:51 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby Mikey23 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 18:36 pm

Given that we are all going to go eventually, I'll settle for quick, painless and doing something I enjoy...

User avatar
DrLex
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby DrLex » Wed Dec 04, 2013 18:48 pm

Death by snu-snu?
Image

User avatar
vermin
Posts: 1698
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Re: Not good...

Postby vermin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 09:46 am

Mikey23 wrote:Given that we are all going to go eventually, I'll settle for quick, painless and doing something I enjoy...


Regretably, there's nothing quick or painless about the Old Bwlch.


Return to “Commuting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jack aMMo, vpnikolov, wackelpuding and 7 guests