Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
NapoleonD

Crud Roadracer Mk2 Mud Guards.

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 14:37 pm

Mine arrived and have just been fitted.

I was a big fan of the Mk1s but the main issue was the level of coverage. This looks to be well sorted now.

I'm just going out for a couple of hours in the wet so I'll report back with my first impressions! (and pics...)

http://www.cyclelife.com/Product.aspx?p ... 25&pg=6271

Not yet on the Crud site though... :?

http://www.crudproducts.com/

White Line

Postby White Line » Fri Jul 30, 2010 14:40 pm

Oh, might have to pick these up for the winter bike soon. :)

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 14:42 pm

They were as easy to fit as the Mk1s btw (well, in fact a little easier due to prior experience with the 1s...)

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 18:38 pm

Well, back from just over 2 hours in a torrent!

It started chucking it down 5 mins into the ride and didn't stop. The latter half of the ride included some narrow, muddy country lanes so perfect for trying them out.

I'm well impressed with them, I thought the Mk1s were good but these raise the bar significantly, the drivetrain remained clean as did my legs. I still found the front derailleur and my legs got mucky with the Mk 1s. They are as good as the full mudguards I used to run on my old winter bike.

The extra coverage around the back to reduce spray in group rides will be put to the test on a club run tomorrow...

I'll write a full review on the review site soon.

Here are some quickly composed photos from when I first fitted them-

CamR

Postby CamR » Fri Jul 30, 2010 18:55 pm

The rear looks a lot better, time to go shopping !!!!!!

Cam

andylav

Postby andylav » Fri Jul 30, 2010 18:58 pm

Wonder if Crud will offer the revised rear parts for retro-fitting to existing Mk 1 owners?

Brand new set of Mk 1s sitting in unopened packaging that I'm wishing were MkII for the extra coverage - crud timing I suppose....

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 19:03 pm

andylav wrote:Wonder if Crud will offer the revised rear parts for retro-fitting to existing Mk 1 owners?

Brand new set of Mk 1s sitting in unopened packaging that I'm wishing were MkII for the extra coverage - crud timing I suppose....

Can you not return the unopened Mk1s?

There are other subtle changes... They appear stronger around the bit where the cable tie goes over the brake bolt too.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 20:19 pm

J E James doing them for 26.99...

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/crud-roa ... 59596.html

There is a seller on eBay but I wouldn't touch that particular seller with a barge pole.
Last edited by NapoleonD on Fri Jul 30, 2010 22:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 20:33 pm

they look good - the MK1's were good but I had to cut them hard to get them on my Look. These will fit my winter singlespeed nicely I reckon.

Cant believe we're talking mudguards already though and I just bought some Northwave winter boots :shock:
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Fri Jul 30, 2010 20:35 pm

Fastpartsforbikes (is this Dave Hinde?) on eBay doing them for 24.95
That is Dave (fastpartsforbikesifIhaveitinstockandRoyalMaildoesn'tlosethemagainwhichwillof coursebethefaultofthethievinglyingscumbuyer) Hinde.
Last edited by alfablue on Fri Jul 30, 2010 22:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

speshsteve

Postby speshsteve » Fri Jul 30, 2010 20:35 pm

like the guards

really like the bike....can I ask what model it is and if you don't mind how much your looking at either frame wise or complete bike? (for some reason I've just started to drool over titanium bikes which from past experience means big expenditure coming my way!)

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 22:11 pm

alfablue wrote:
Fastpartsforbikes (is this Dave Hinde?) on eBay doing them for 24.95
That is Dave (fastpartsforbikesifIhaveitinstockandRoyalMaildoesn'tlosethemagainwhichwillof coursebethefaultofthethievinglyingscumbuyer) Hinde.

In that case I'll edit my post!!

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 22:13 pm

speshsteve wrote:like the guards

really like the bike....can I ask what model it is and if you don't mind how much your looking at either frame wise or complete bike? (for some reason I've just started to drool over titanium bikes which from past experience means big expenditure coming my way!)

Cheers, it's a Litespeed Siena. The Frame and Fork is for sale for a grand but the RRP new is 2500 (not that anyone pays that!)

Bunneh

Postby Bunneh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:52 am

They look good, will have to grab some for my Ribble when I get it back. Just waiting on selling some stuff before I can get them!

mcrdave

Postby mcrdave » Sat Jul 31, 2010 16:32 pm

Going to buy some of those, my mk1's got stick from my club mates for spraying up cr@p behind. I didn't care, they kept me dry!

Cheers for posting Nap

Suffolkwheels

Postby Suffolkwheels » Sat Jul 31, 2010 16:33 pm

Just got back from a 50 miler in the rain. Splattered with mud pretty much from head to toe so I'm def gonna get me some of these!!

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Sat Jul 31, 2010 18:20 pm

Nice. I like my MK1's but I had to cut the rear behind the just as it exited the rear stay towards the seat post as it wouldn't stay clear of the tyre. I reckon the new cable tie in the bb area will take care of that.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Jul 31, 2010 18:26 pm

Went out on club run with about 15 guys today. We went through all sorts of cr@p including freshly laid cow sh1t. We also had plenty of rain. No complaints whatsoever from me and none from the guys behind.

They are a definite winner!!

JohnnyAllez

Postby JohnnyAllez » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:36 am

Modded my Mk 1s last Winter so the front end of the rear `guard used the longer rear tip from the front `guard to extend the length past the rear mech etc, as pictured on the new model. Sent a foto to Crud explaining it, maybe I`m due some royalties :D
Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sun Aug 01, 2010 15:44 pm

The bit that wraps round and covers the front mech and drive train is the big winner IMO...

Return to “Road Buying Advice”