Ultegra Di2 battery life

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
DHA987S

Ultegra Di2 battery life

Postby DHA987S » Sat Sep 22, 2012 09:03 am

Thought people might be interested in comparing what mileage they are getting out of Ui2 batteries. Granted it's not actually miles that dictates but number of gearshifts, which is impossible to count. However here are my results;

The battery was given a full charge when the bike arrived, I suspect I have used it more in the initial stages to "demonstrate" how it works to myself and other riders. I also think I change gear more than I would compared to my previous mechanical setup, just because you can in certain circumstances that would make a horrible noise with mechanical gears.

Battery is showing 50% charge remaining, 350 miles ridden in approx 23hrs. I suspect as the requirement to "demonstrate" electrics reduces I will get a bit more life from the battery. I ride in the surrey hills so there isn't anything that keeps you on the flat for a decent length of time so this may require more changes (along with my fitness level not being that high!)

Before the electric gear dissenters pipe up a full charge only takes 90 minutes.

ALaPlage

Re: Ultegra Di2 battery life

Postby ALaPlage » Sat Sep 22, 2012 14:15 pm

So far 1200 miles on the initial charge and just dipped into the red to recharge. A great experience.
Trek Madone 5.9
Kinesis Crosslight T4

CiB

Postby CiB » Sat Nov 24, 2012 21:37 pm

Bump...

Was just Googling around for real world battery life experience and landed on this. After a full charge on Nov 8th mine managed 290 miles before giving up the ghost on Friday leaving me with a 20 mile ride home from work in a low gear. There was no sign of it failing on the way in - front mech working fine etc, but when I wheeled it out of the office to go home it was dead as a doornail, but came back to life after a full charge.

Granted I change gears more often, just because there's no reason not to, but has anyone else experienced dramatatically shorter charge times? I'd be interested to see if there's a correlation between the colder weather, the battery being all of 8 months old and been through a few charge cycles, and even whether the absolute soaking the whole system suffered in Tuesday's monsoon has affected the life.

Anyone else seeing this now that it's not warm sunny days?

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sat Nov 24, 2012 22:03 pm

christ you must change gear more than me? Ive got DA so dont know if its any different but seems the same battery. I can get 1000 miles out of mine? That about 12 rides for me. No different now its not summer either?

CiB

Postby CiB » Sat Nov 24, 2012 22:16 pm

I change gear as often now as I did when it was first fitted and was seeing a couple of months between charges. This is the second time it's died suddenly; a trip back to the LBS might be in order to have it looked at. Still seems low though.

cougie

Postby cougie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 23:14 pm

I've seen a few tweets from riders complaining of the batteries going without warning. I guess you get duds in anything. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the cold - if people are riding their best bikes thru winter.

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Sat Nov 24, 2012 23:54 pm

DHA987S wrote:Battery is showing 50% charge remaining, 350 miles ridden in approx 23hrs. I suspect as the requirement to "demonstrate" electrics reduces I will get a bit more life from the battery. I ride in the surrey hills so there isn't anything that keeps you on the flat for a decent length of time so this may require more changes (along with my fitness level not being that high!)

That's my neck of the woods as well, and I know what you mean about the up\down\not quite flat\rinse and repeat frequently terrain. Interesting to see the life for such systems. To be honest, anything that exceeds my likely ride duration strikes me as reasonable, so 23hrs for half a battery is entirely acceptable.

Can they be charged at any point, or are they of the type that needs to be run down to a certain point before recharging to avoid thranging the doohickey, or whatever the nasty thing one can do to batteries is?
Mangeur

CiB

Postby CiB » Sun Nov 25, 2012 00:03 am

cougie wrote:I've seen a few tweets from riders complaining of the batteries going without warning. I guess you get duds in anything. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the cold - if people are riding their best bikes thru winter.

Interesting. is that dying completely or just going flat sooner than expected?

Achilles - they're a Li-ion battery with no memory effect so state doesn't matter when recharging.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sun Nov 25, 2012 15:24 pm

mine has always given plenty of warning i was out today and i last charged mine up 9 weeks ago as i know the date as it was the mrs birthday and i rememebr putting it on before we went out. I just looked up on my garmin and the last 9 weeks ive done 2641 miles and its still got the solid green light on today. It gives plenty of warning so yours might a have a problem if its just dyign on you? Happend to me once when i totally forgot to charge it, proper annoying!

CiB

Postby CiB » Sun Nov 25, 2012 19:26 pm

Agree about how it should last; part of the issue is that despite the claims the unit doesn't give a warning, you have to prompt it. Big difference, esp when the front unit is out of sight. Note to self - check it from time to time.

It was flat again this morning so I took it all apart and gave everything a good clean. The junction box is stupidly exposed inder the BB and altho it's not caused a problem before, the monsoon that came down on Tuseday looks as if it threw up a whole lot more crud than normal - the connectors were still wet outside, but more noticably the connection on the front mech (and the main control unit) was silted up like nothing else. One thorough clean and another charge seems (touch wood) to have resolved it. Looks like I need to make some kind of protective shield to cover the BB junction tho.

Buckie2k5

Postby Buckie2k5 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 19:40 pm

is this battery thing on bikes a fad just like electric golf trolleys. Everyone thought they were the bees knees until they realised that charging or forgetting to charge was a right pain in the ass. Golfers are now all swapping back to manual push trolleys.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sun Nov 25, 2012 21:10 pm

i think its here to stay after so much positivity and the ammount that have been bought by now. its very easy once you have got used to it. I only charge mine 3 maybe 4 times a year and thats a lot of miles so its not hard to remember. i forgot once but never since

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Mon Nov 26, 2012 19:38 pm

CiB wrote:Achilles - they're a Li-ion battery with no memory effect so state doesn't matter when recharging.

Oh. Wish you hadn't told me that. Di2 falls squarely into the "something I have no need for, but really like the sound of", and that's another excuse down the pain :)
Mangeur

Captainlip

Postby Captainlip » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:01 pm

ive noticed none of the pros are using Di2 anymore now, any reasons?
MADONE 5.2

NewTTer

Postby NewTTer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 22:27 pm

Captainlip wrote:ive noticed none of the pros are using Di2 anymore now, any reasons?

So which teams who were using it, have you noticed are now not?

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:26 pm

aren't sky and some of the better equipped campag teams running this still ( not ultegra but the dura ace 9070 kit....)....

kiwimatt

Postby kiwimatt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 13:10 pm

CiB wrote:a correlation between the colder weather, the battery being all of 8 months old and been through a few charge cycles

It's a relatively small capacity (500maH) Li-Ion pack and age and cold are two things that will definitely impact performance. The absolute worst thing you can do is keep it fully charged for a long period (better to partially discharge if you're not planning to best bike over winter) and/or then expose it to high temperature (hot car).

The full anorak stuff is here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

Plenty of good Lithium battery chat on the MTB Big lights threads as well. I harbour some thoughts of a Heath Robinson DIY replacement using laptop cells or similar when my first Di2 pack dies

CiB

Postby CiB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 16:54 pm

Thanks for that kwiwmatt. The recharge has held for 4 days so I'd assume that there was a short somewhere leading to a full discharge, which the full clean & tidy has resolved. It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts over the colder weather on its way.

darrenpreston

Postby darrenpreston » Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:03 pm

I just bought a Focus with Ultegra Di2.

Got it home and the battery light was block red on test.

Stuck it on to charge with the Euro cable supplied and the orange light goes off in seconds. I've tried 3 different worldwide plug convertors to convert the Euro plug to UK and I've tried the shaver point...and the orange light still goes off in seconds.

Any experts out there able to help me?

roadiemk

Postby roadiemk » Sat Dec 08, 2012 01:04 am

What method did you use to check battery level?

Return to “Road General”