Sportive on the Stelvio

Organising a chain gang? Entering a Sportive/Audax?
topcattim

Sportive on the Stelvio

Postby topcattim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 07:23 am

Anyone know of any sportives that take you up the Stelvio? I've wanted to ride this for some time, and sportive sounds like a great way of doing it.
I've had a google around and can only find this one that is sold out and this one from last year, but I can't work out if it is being repeated this year. I can't find any information on other tour operators or direct entries.
Grateful for any ideas - it would help me strike one off from the "rides to do" list!

ugo.santalucia

Re: Sportive on the Stelvio

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 pm

It is a difficult call... it's hard to organise an event that goes up to 2770 Mt. You can only safely do it in July-August, otherwise the risk of snow is too high. July is already full of events and August is traditionally holiday month in Italy and nobody wants to organise anything

Brian B

Postby Brian B » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:45 pm

If you cannot get a sportive then what about spending a week in Bormio. Lots of other greats such as the Gavia and the Mortorolo to climb as well. Thats what we did several years agoand was one of my best holidays abroad.

See the link below for a write up from one our party

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bormio2008/index.htm
Brian B.

thecrofter

Postby thecrofter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:52 pm

I'm sure there was a thread on here somewhere about the Stelvio, where they shut it one Sunday every year to allow cyclists unhampered access. Maybe I just dreamt it though.
You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!

gtchunks

Postby gtchunks » Sat Oct 06, 2012 17:18 pm

Hi we were in Bormio this year on Sunday 15th July and they had a sportive organised by mapei going up the stelvio from Bormio must have been about 5 - 10 thousand entrants easy ,very well organised if that helps

topcattim

Postby topcattim » Wed Oct 10, 2012 14:00 pm

gtchunks wrote:Hi we were in Bormio this year on Sunday 15th July and they had a sportive organised by mapei going up the stelvio from Bormio must have been about 5 - 10 thousand entrants easy ,very well organised if that helps

Hmm, that looks just like what I am looking for, thanks. Looks like it is an annual thing, I'll watch their site to see when the 2013 date is.

sherer

Postby sherer » Wed Oct 17, 2012 16:14 pm

thecrofter wrote:I'm sure there was a thread on here somewhere about the Stelvio, where they shut it one Sunday every year to allow cyclists unhampered access. Maybe I just dreamt it though.

Yes I remember reading that too. I think you can do about three different routes up the mountain and it was all on closed roads

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Wed Oct 17, 2012 21:39 pm

The Dreiländergiro goes up the Stelvio. Start and finish in Nauders, Austria. I’ve done it twice. Mass start, timed, jersey as souvenir for all. Next year it’s on 23 June. Last year it cost 50 Euro to enter.

http://www.dreilaendergiro.at/

There is also a smaller event called the ‘Brevet Rando Stilfserjoch Cima Coppi’, with start and finish in Merano. Next year it’s on 22 June. As suggested by the link name, this is more like an Audax event than a timed Sportive. I think you get a medal. Last year it cost 10 Euro to enter.

http://www.audaxitalia.com/brevetti/see ... ent=8&c=42

Given that they are both on the same weekend, the Merano one on Saturday, the Nauders one on Sunday, and not very far away from each other, you could enter both, on Saturday evening driving from Merano to Nauders!

As someone above in the thread has also mentioned, the Stelvio is closed 1-2 times a year to traffic, so only open to cyclists. I think one time it's closed is the first weekend of September.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 14:47 pm

The Dreiländergiro isnt running next year and might not happen any more at all according to their website, due to issues with the Swiss...
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

topcattim

Postby topcattim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 21:38 pm

Bigpikle wrote:due to issues with the Swiss...

:D

Thanks for all these ideas, I'm now getting very interested and excited at the prospect of somehow doing this.

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 01:03 am

It’s not yet definite that the Dreiländergiro has been cancelled.

The Swiss don’t want more than 1500 riders to pass through Switzerland, but the Giro has been having 3000 participants the last few years and the organisers feel 1500 would be too few to make it economically feasible. So the organisers are thinking about a new route or changing the entry conditions, or both.

From the Stelvio, via Bormio, Cles and Merano and back to Nauders would be a very long option, so I think it more possible they’ll offer up and down the Stelvio from Prad, then towards Merano, but before reaching there, up and down a side valley like Schnalstal or Martelltal, then back to Nauders. Or maybe just to Bormio and back, so the Stelvio from two sides.

They might even split the event, so 1500 go the usual way through Switzerland, and the rest do the new out-and-back version.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 07:45 am

^^ thats interesting and I hope its true as it was on my list for next year if it runs :D
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

cougie

Postby cougie » Tue May 07, 2013 15:09 pm

Off to see the Giro later in the month - especially the Stelvio stage. I'm hoping to get to ride up the Stelvio, but not sure the weather will let us.

What gearing do people normally use ? I've a 39*28 thats got me up the Telegraphe and the Alpe successfully but I think the Stelvio is a fair bit longer. Ta.

arran77

Postby arran77 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:42 am

Brian B wrote:If you cannot get a sportive then what about spending a week in Bormio. Lots of other greats such as the Gavia and the Mortorolo to climb as well. Thats what we did several years agoand was one of my best holidays abroad.

See the link below for a write up from one our party

http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bormio2008/index.htm

Some great pictures there, looks like a good trip 8)
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

knedlicky

Postby knedlicky » Wed May 08, 2013 13:08 pm

cougie wrote:Off to see the Giro later in the month - especially the Stelvio stage. I'm hoping to get to ride up the Stelvio, but not sure the weather will let us.

What gearing do people normally use ? I've a 39*28 thats got me up the Telegraphe and the Alpe successfully but I think the Stelvio is a fair bit longer. Ta.

When I did the Stelvio as part of the Dreiländergiro (last time now over 10 years ago) I had 39/26; by last summer, when I went up the Stelvio just for fun, I’d changed to a compact, so I had 34/26.
I have ridden Alpe d’Huez but only at the end of the Marmotte when I was fairly tired, so can’t quite judge which I’d say harder, but I’d probably say the Stelvio, just. As well as longer. The Stelvio is definitely harder than the Telegraphe.

3Pears

Postby 3Pears » Wed May 08, 2013 19:02 pm

Brian B Thanks for sharing that link I remember reading Richyboy's blog of the same trip which helped visualise the Stelvio climb from Prato in prep for my first accent a few years back.
Climbing Stelvio from Bormio for the first time in a few weeks, when I'm out that way in the week before the Maratona dles Dolomites, so I apprciate you sharing the photo's and write up :D

Thanks

insella

Postby insella » Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 am

on June 2nd will be the Granfonmdo Stelvio Santini 2013. there are still places available for all 3 courses. plenty of support from shimano; water and food roadside.
Alternatively (!) there is the 'Sella Ronda' on June 23rd and September 15th when the roads will be closed to traffic. Plenty of support again, great atmospherre; a lot of fun that you can augment by starting dowen a lower valley or trying the devilish Passo Fedaia afterwards.
Magic cycling in the Dolomites!

El Rey

Postby El Rey » Sat May 11, 2013 22:49 pm

dommyd

Postby dommyd » Mon May 13, 2013 09:41 am

I'm doing this in a few weeks,
http://www.granfondostelviosantini.com/race-info/

Looks a great ride, I'm not worried about the Stelvio per se (did Marmotte two years agio and Maratona last year so used to long climbs..) its just that it comes after Mortirolo which looks a beast - harder than Passo Giau they say...which trust me was hard enough last year :shock:

def a compact (34/27) for me...legs wll be sapped of strength after Mortirolo so aim is to try and spin up Stelvio at a steady rhythm..

cougie

Postby cougie » Tue May 14, 2013 08:04 am

Thanks chaps - I've decided to use my compact so I'm going 34-28. I'm usually an OK climber but a 2 hour plus climb is a bit hard to find round here !

Now I just need the snow to stay away - http://webcam.popso.it/cm/pages/ServeBL ... DPagina/28

Return to “Sportives/Audaxes/Training rides”