Hope Pro 3 Rs Mono vs Hand builts vs anything else

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
orangepip

Hope Pro 3 Rs Mono vs Hand builts vs anything else

Postby orangepip » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

My fulcrum 7's are approaching 3 years old now and starting to get a little tired. I'm sure they could be fixed but I fancy some new wheels.

As a heavier guy, I like the idea of the Hopes (plus I've always had a soft spot for the brand since MTB days) they seem to be fairly light circa 1670g, are reported to be very strong and I'll be able to ride them all year with minimum maintenance.

Alternatively I could get the LBS to build a set of wheels for me, however I'm not really that certain where to start selecting the components though I'm sure they could advise.

I like the idea of the Kysyrium elites though they are more expensive and are reportedly harder to get spares for. The wheels are going to go on my only bike so they need to be able to handle the rigours of commuting and still be fresh for longer rides in the evening / weekend.

Any advice?

ugo.santalucia

Re: Hope Pro 3 Rs Mono vs Hand builts vs anything else

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am

You are on the right track. Hope hubs are excellent, then take your builder's advice for rims and the spokes that work for you.
I think it is worth gonig the hand built route, as the pre-made Hope hoops are shockingly built and, although cheaper, they are false economy

orangepip

Postby orangepip » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

interesting, I'd heard they were well put together.

Any other hub/rim combo's I should be considering around the same price point?

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:59 am

orangepip wrote:interesting, I'd heard they were well put together.

Any other hub/rim combo's I should be considering around the same price point?

Assuming you are on Shimano, you can have a look at Dura Ace hubs... they are considerably pricier, but they come with skewers which are worth nearly 100 pounds, so one can always sell them, if not needed, while Hope hubs come with no skewers.
One notch down, there were some Ultegra hubs on sale at chain reaction cycles.... that was a very good deal... if you want to buy them, I am more than happy to build them for you.
Rims: it depends how big is big. If you are around 100 Kg, I would recommend something like DT Swiss 465 or Ambrosio Excellence, while if you are heavier, then you should be looking at a well built V shape rim, like DT 585 or Velocity Deep V

g00se

Postby g00se » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:02 pm

I've got a pair of Hope 3 RS Monos and they've been put together really well. Haven't heard any stories about bad builds - but then again, I haven't been looking. Do you have a link to some?

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 17:08 pm

g00se wrote:I've got a pair of Hope 3 RS Monos and they've been put together really well. Haven't heard any stories about bad builds - but then again, I haven't been looking. Do you have a link to some?

I am talking about the hope hoops, is it the same product? Stories of broken spokes and wheels out of true straight from the box appear over here on a weekly basis

g00se

Postby g00se » Mon Oct 08, 2012 18:14 pm

Hope Hoops Pro 3 RS Mono. They've been brilliant - 3500k so far and they're still true as out of the box - not one tweak needed and quite a few potholes crashed through too.

Maybe the complaints are on a different site - I've tried searching "hope hoops" on here and only found a couple of posts about those sold by Winstanley in the last 12 months. Then again, maybe I'm cr*p at searching :)

Return to “Road Buying Advice”