Animal run ins......

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
wilo13

Animal run ins......

Postby wilo13 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:25 pm

Hi All

I live 30miles away from work so I get the train in the morning and cycle the 30miles home in the evening. The last few weeks I have had some interesting experiences with animals. My ride mainly consists of quiet B roads so I regularly see mice, foxes, bats and anything else that ventures out at night.

The other night I had a run in with a squirrel. The thing jumped out into the road from nowhere and I thought I had run the little thing over but somehow he got wrapped around my headtube and was trapped due to being tangled in my brakes cables. So there I am cycling along with this squirrel trying to bite through my brake cable and at the same time I am trying to flick it off my bike. After a couple of minutes it got itself free and was on its way.

This evening I also had a run in with a bat which flew into my face and smacked me square on the forehead!

Anyone had any interesting experiences with wildlife?
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

lc1981

Re: Animal run ins......

Postby lc1981 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:42 pm

I've had a few close calls with squirrels, but nothing quite this bad.

Initialised

Postby Initialised » Fri Oct 12, 2012 22:53 pm

I shed a tear for last year's suicidal squirrel when I saw it spread across the tarmac. I nearly had the bugger a couple of times, always just managed to dodge my front wheel at the last moment. Don't know why but they always seem hell bent on running across your path.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 01:43 am

Initialised wrote:I shed a tear for last year's suicidal squirrel when I saw it spread across the tarmac. I nearly had the bugger a couple of times, always just managed to dodge my front wheel at the last moment. Don't know why but they always seem hell bent on running across your path.

I have observed on my commutes that squirrels will make it 3/4 of the way across the road and when a car approaches, rather than run the remaing quarter distance to cross the road safely, they freeze, turn around and go back the way they came from. I have seen many a squirrel perish due to this stupid behaviour.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

Big_Paul

Postby Big_Paul » Sat Oct 13, 2012 09:59 am

I have had a few run ins with rabbits, never hit one yet but they are surely the most stupid bloody animal on the planet, just look straight at you then run the way you swerve. I had a dog run at me a few years ago, but the stupid thing was on the wrong side of 4 lane road and ran straight into the traffic going the other way, bits of hound everywhere.
Disc Trucker
Kona Ute
Rockrider 8.1
Evil Resident
Vee-29
Day 01 Disc
Viking Derwent Tandem

CYCLESPORT1

Postby CYCLESPORT1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:11 am

passout

Postby passout » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am

Over the years I've killed a squirel and a couple of small birds - all in the spokes of my front wheel.

Most impressive was a Roe Buck (a deer if you're a townie). It was failing to get over a deer fence when I came upon it at some speed. I was on the road parallel to the deer fence. I couldn't really stop (safely) so decided to go past him, leaving as much room as I could. It panicked and kicked out its back legs, missing my back wheel by inches. I'm sure it would have written off said wheel, if it had made contact. Obviously I cycled off leaving it its business. By the way, this was in Lancashire - very near Chipping Wild Boar Park if you know it.

I'm glad other wildlife doesn't do that sort of thing. Reminds me, a Kenyan bloke once told me that there was a particulary aggressive group of elephants - somewhere in in the hills on a the border with Tanzania I think (without consulting the atlas) - who hated cyclists and would stamp on them if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. No reason to doubt him.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Initialised

Postby Initialised » Sat Oct 13, 2012 19:50 pm

Saw two roe doe today near Rowlands Gill.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 20:03 pm

passout wrote:Over the years I've killed a squirel and a couple of small birds - all in the spokes of my front wheel.

Most impressive was a Roe Buck (a deer if you're a townie). It was failing to get over a deer fence when I came upon it at some speed. I was on the road parallel to the deer fence. I couldn't really stop (safely) so decided to go past him, leaving as much room as I could. It panicked and kicked out its back legs, missing my back wheel by inches. I'm sure it would have written off said wheel, if it had made contact. Obviously I cycled off leaving it its business. By the way, this was in Lancashire - very near Chipping Wild Boar Park if you know it.

I'm glad other wildlife doesn't do that sort of thing. Reminds me, a Kenyan bloke once told me that there was a particulary aggressive group of elephants - somewhere in in the hills on a the border with Tanzania I think (without consulting the atlas) - who hated cyclists and would stamp on them if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. No reason to doubt him.

Blimey, that deer encounter could have been a lot worse and theres me moaning about a squirrel.....
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:16 pm

passout wrote:Over the years I've killed a squirel and a couple of small birds - all in the spokes of my front wheel.

Around this time of year Red and Roe deer tend to be fairly edgy, I commute though Bushy and Richmond Park isn't far away.

Closest I've come is a few years ago, in the dark morning, two younger Red Stags where having a wee shove and grunt, But in there efforts had wandered too close to one of the old 12 pointers, who charged them, and drove them across my path.

i came to abrupt stop, close to 40 stone or so of horny beast, Gulped and made a quick quiet exit!

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 13:15 pm

I've been getting a bit paranoid lately after a close shave with a deer that ran out infront of me at night when I was on a downhill section. I managed to slow sown a bit but to be honest it was purely lucky timing that we didn't collide.

My 12 mile commute and training riding is all-rural and mostly in the dark from now 'til spring, so the thought of a deer running out infront of me at the wrong moment is spooking me a bit, I must admit - it genuinely could be fatal if it happened. I'm taking pitch-black downhills at a slightly less gung-ho speed now.

Also rabbits, bats, badgers and squirrels are all seen fairly regularly especially at night but I have yet to make contact with any. Closest call was with a barn owl that lives locally to me, on a night ride recently.

passout

Postby passout » Sun Oct 14, 2012 14:26 pm

I'd hate to kill an owl...just saying.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Oldfield

Postby Oldfield » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:12 am

I ran over a chicken a few weeks back after it decided to change its mind at the last second and head back the way it had just came. I was doing about 30mph at the time, tried to avoid it but couldn't. I fell off. It hurt.

gbsahne

Postby gbsahne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:45 pm

did anyone see the video of the guy trapped by a stag in bushey park?

Giraffoto

Postby Giraffoto » Mon Oct 15, 2012 14:30 pm

I caught a bat on my forehead once (well, on my helmet) and came very close to running over a badger too. I didn't ever find the bat, although I'm not that convinced it flew away . . .
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
On-One Scandal (fully rigid)

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:38 pm

Oldfield wrote:I ran over a chicken a few weeks back after it decided to change its mind at the last second and head back the way it had just came. I was doing about 30mph at the time, tried to avoid it but couldn't. I fell off. It hurt.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

I'll get me coat.

Likebike-1

Postby Likebike-1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:51 pm

Had the same experience as Oldfield, but with a cat. The animal was hunting and sneaking up towards the right side of the road. I was doing 35 km/hour and had calculated I would miss it by half a meter if we would not change our course. But then the cat became aware of me, looked me in the eye and started to run towards my front tire. With a big scream and a last split second turn I did not run over it, and I did not get launched. My heart was in my throat, the adrenaline was released and it didn't even feel that bad. It helped me getting up to more speed. But not for long. After that I was kinda very tired.

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Oct 16, 2012 08:48 am

I just film them:

http://youtu.be/y3p2mWtuRHI?hd=1

8)

I did get smacked in the noggin by a startled bird one time, and once stopped for a drink at the top of a hill to find myself 5' from a fox. We just stood there looking at each other for a while and he eventually wandered off. It was all very polite :)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 21:36 pm

Bordersroadie wrote:I've been getting a bit paranoid lately after a close shave with a deer that ran out infront of me at night when I was on a downhill section. I managed to slow sown a bit but to be honest it was purely lucky timing that we didn't collide.

My 12 mile commute and training riding is all-rural and mostly in the dark from now 'til spring, so the thought of a deer running out infront of me at the wrong moment is spooking me a bit, I must admit - it genuinely could be fatal if it happened. I'm taking pitch-black downhills at a slightly less gung-ho speed now.

Also rabbits, bats, badgers and squirrels are all seen fairly regularly especially at night but I have yet to make contact with any. Closest call was with a barn owl that lives locally to me, on a night ride recently.

Ditto

Since my close run ins on my pitch black rides I apply a bit more pressure on the brake levers when bombing down a 16% hill on my daily commute. I saw four foxes yesterday, I think thats a record for me.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

Bordersroadie

Postby Bordersroadie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 21:03 pm

wilo13 wrote:
Bordersroadie wrote:I've been getting a bit paranoid lately after a close shave with a deer that ran out infront of me at night when I was on a downhill section. I managed to slow sown a bit but to be honest it was purely lucky timing that we didn't collide.

Ditto

Since my close run ins on my pitch black rides I apply a bit more pressure on the brake levers when bombing down a 16% hill on my daily commute. I saw four foxes yesterday, I think thats a record for me.

Good to know someone shares my angst! Strangely enough, I see few foxes as they're fairly well hunted round these parts, the recent ban is a bit of a joke but at least it keeps them off the roads!

Return to “Commuting General”