the end !

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
mr joey

the end !

Postby mr joey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 06:44 am

after 10 years of biking i have sold my beloved heckler :( to put it nicely im a bin man and 2 weeks ago i was putting a bin on and my hand slipped through the handle and dragged me up breaking my forearm and fracturing and dislocating my wrist lucky to still have it! wich resulted having a plate inserted in my forearm i just simple cant take the risk biking anymore as the first thing you do on an off is put your hands out so i think ive done the sensible thing and sold it.just guts me as ile miss trips away with the lads and miss the banter life sucks sometimes :(

welshkev

Re: the end !

Postby welshkev » Sun Oct 14, 2012 07:26 am

It's a shame you've felt you had to give up. A friend of mine had a motorbike crash and broke both his wrists and snapped the bone in his thigh (fema?) he's got plates holding him together.

Another friend got ran over by a lorry in work and has more plates and screws in him than the 6 million dollar man. :lol:

Surely just resting got a bit and taking it easy would have been sensible, cos surely a metal plate is strong as fook. Can't you also buy wrist guards/supports?

But each to their own, you could always take up knitting :wink:
like music? check out: www.rredracer.com

chez_m356

Postby chez_m356 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 07:32 am

mr joey wrote:after 10 years of biking i have sold my beloved heckler :( to put it nicely im a bin man and 2 weeks ago i was putting a bin on and my hand slipped through the handle and dragged me up breaking my forearm and fracturing and dislocating my wrist lucky to still have it! wich resulted having a plate inserted in my forearm i just simple cant take the risk biking anymore as the first thing you do on an off is put your hands out so i think ive done the sensible thing and sold it.just guts me as ile miss trips away with the lads and miss the banter life sucks sometimes :(

er no, it will heal and be just as strong
Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011

rattyc5

Postby rattyc5 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 08:32 am

i too have broke my arm straight through and have a plate fitted.have no problems with it. i have also broken my neck in the past and have no problems. man up you big girls blouse! :)

felix.london

Postby felix.london » Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:57 am

My mate nearly lost both his arms in a terrible skateboarding accident. He now also has bionic arms & elbows. Seems to thrash his CF Trek Remedy around the trails with no problems. In fact the plan is for both of us to do the TP in 2014 :D
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

mr joey

Postby mr joey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:39 am

Hmm all your stories are reasuring mabey i have probaly given in too easily but the fact is the bikes gone just gonna wait and see how it heals and you never know might buy a new steed with the compo LOL but thanks with your replies

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 13:06 pm

jesus that sounds painful!

mr joey

Postby mr joey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 14:08 pm

tbh it wasnt but i think that was shock it was more painful when i went to get the dressing changed and the bandage they put on stuck solid to my arm and she peeled it off very slowly taking every hair off my arm now that did hurt :cry:

70\'sPenguin

Postby 70\'sPenguin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 14:45 pm

Its easy for the misery to set in after something like this. Dont give up! Start looking for a new bike and have this as a goal to get better! It may take 3-6 months but you can and will ride again! Take it easy!

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 17:17 pm

You could try building a bike from frame up so by the time you're done you can ride again.

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:01 pm

mr joey wrote:after 10 years of biking i have sold my beloved heckler :( to put it nicely im a bin man and 2 weeks ago i was putting a bin on and my hand slipped through the handle and dragged me up breaking my forearm and fracturing and dislocating my wrist lucky to still have it! wich resulted having a plate inserted in my forearm i just simple cant take the risk biking anymore as the first thing you do on an off is put your hands out so i think ive done the sensible thing and sold it.just guts me as ile miss trips away with the lads and miss the banter life sucks sometimes :(

What?
You'll heal in time. Bike would have been fine.
What the hell is wrong with you?

mr joey

Postby mr joey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:12 pm

like penguin said probaly misery setting in so used to biking or running always doing things now its frustrating trying to wipe your own @rse :lol:

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sun Oct 14, 2012 18:28 pm

If you're the kind of person to sell your bike because you injured yourself doing something completely unrelated - just in case you DID injure yourself on the bike some time in the future, then fankly, I'd question whether you had sufficient wits about you to ever wipe your own arris in the first place.

Dartster

Postby Dartster » Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:05 pm

YeehaaMcgee wrote:If you're the kind of person to sell your bike because you injured yourself doing something completely unrelated - just in case you DID injure yourself on the bike some time in the future, then fankly, I'd question whether you had sufficient wits about you to ever wipe your own arris in the first place.

Bit Harsh, doesn't really matter if it was related or not, its fairly certain that at some point your gonna go down on a mountain bike so fair enough to worry about it wrecking it again!

Having said that, I'm currently suffering with a wrecked shoulder due to a mountain biking incident 4 weeks ago......prob looking at a good few months till its better as i seem to have done some pretty bad muscle damage, having physio on it and need an MRI scan to check full extent of damage..........

......and i've just been out today and bought a DH bike for when i'm better :twisted:

Gotta man up in these situations.

You just gotta let it heal, get the strength back in it and get back too it!

craker

Postby craker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:41 pm

get a road bike

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sun Oct 14, 2012 19:42 pm

Dartster wrote:Bit Harsh

No. Not at all.

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Sun Oct 14, 2012 21:19 pm

It was injury that stopped me enjoying motorbikes... Kept riding for a couple of years but it was never as good after. Though the same injury got me riding pushbikes again, so apparently I'm a moron, since I never broke a bone on the motorbike but I'm up to about 7 on pushirons. just do what feels right, and if that stops feeling right, do something else that does.
Uncompromising extremist

YeehaaMcgee

Postby YeehaaMcgee » Sun Oct 14, 2012 22:30 pm

Northwind wrote:I'm a moron

Yeah, we know that :lol: :wink:

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:13 pm

craker wrote:get a road bike

Now that IS harsh......you some sort of sadist or what!

It sounds like you were feeling a bit depressed, with some luck you'll heal nicely and then be able to get something spanking with all that compo you must be due!

Cat With No Tail

Postby Cat With No Tail » Mon Oct 15, 2012 14:15 pm

craker wrote:get a road bike

This.

I agree that you should never have sold the MTB, but as you have done, you may as well get a roady. Good way to keep fit / get fitter and you're less likely to break bones than you would be on a MTB (although some of those races can be pretty brutal).

Then, 6 months down the line when you realize you've been a tool, and decide to get another MTB, you'll be in tip-top shape and able to enjoy it even more.

Return to “MTB General”