Which boardman?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
#david2012

Which boardman?

Postby #david2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 am

Ok I've asked a similar question recently but after a few quid came my way this weekend I've decided not to be selfish and spend all my fund on the bike but put the rest towards a holiday. So my current dilemma of which I would appreciate any comments from the forum knowledge base is.....
1. Comp, i prefer the look in white and think the SRAM apex gearing is more suitable to my ability, plus the geometry is apparently a little more sportive again which I think might suit me at the moment.
2. Team, looks like a good value for upgrades but more of a race geometry... Is this worth the extra £100 and would I really notice the shorter head tube?
3.team carbon, should I just go for the carbon frame and be done with it?
With my British cycling discount I obviously save the extra 10% off the purchase price as well

Before anyone thinks I've answered my own question, I've quickly learnt that the quality of components is as important as anything and with that in mind if I'm spending 800 for the sake of a couple of hundred more would it be more worthwhile? I've only been cycling since may and longest run is around 30 mile mark, although I'm training most nights on my first bike trying to build on my fitness for next year :D
As always thanks in advance

MoscowFlyer

Re: Which boardman?

Postby MoscowFlyer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:59 am

I can't comment on the aluminium frames but I have the Team Carbon and absolutely love it. I guess it all comes down to how much you're going to use it, if you're going to get a lot of mileage from it then I'd just go for the carbon as opposed to buying one of the others and then wanting to upgrade in the future. They're about £1300 now I think, amazing value.

t4tomo

Postby t4tomo » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:07 pm

the comp does have a mnarginally longer head tube (10cm on a medium) rest of geometry identical (team and team carbon are identical) which means you are slightly less ars* up head down which is arguably comfier on a longer ride.

the group set and wheels are a good step up on the team over the comp. well worth the £100 IMHO. Whether the carbon is worth the extra is up to you - ride both and see. Bar the frame material, they are identical.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

#david2012

Postby #david2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:35 pm

Thanks for the replies both of you! My gut feeling was the extra £100 was well worth it, the frame equates to around £270 more for the carbon could this money be better spent elsewhere on the bike? Thanks again

stoneb09

Postby stoneb09 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:42 pm

I upgraded my Allez to a Carrera virago full carbon which was £999 - 10% BC discount. I cannot recommend it enough. Full monocoque frame, 105 groupset and a decent set of wheels for £900 seemed unbeatable. I would definitely add it to your shortlist as, like you, I had my heart set on a Boardman until I road the Carrera.

The 105 gearing is so much smoother than the 2300 I used to have on my old bike, and the power transfer from the frame is incredible. The only things I have upgraded up to now out of what I saw as personal choice upgrades were to purchase a set of swiss stop brake pads (the difference on any bike is unbelievable) and upgrade the tyres to Ultremo ZX's.

If you have any money left over you can always put it towards a new set of wheels but I really doubt you will notice the difference with you just starting out. Whatever you do though make sure you try i.e. sit on the bike before you purchase it as sizing differs across all brands!

nochekmate

Postby nochekmate » Mon Oct 15, 2012 17:59 pm

If it's the right size get this! Team carbon bike in fantastic condition for the price of an aluminium!

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12884167

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:38 pm

What's it for?

Winter at the moment, so guards would be nice.

The Cross would make an excellent all round bike IMO.
My blog: www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)

#david2012

Postby #david2012 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 18:59 pm

Basically I got into road cycling on an inexpensive Dawes giro 400. Now I know I really enjoy it I'd like to treat myself to a better bike, the money is burning a hole in my pocket and even though I'd like to be sensible and wait till the spring I'd at least like to make my mind up! Unless the right 2nd hand one comes up and I could be tempted now... The link above looks very tempting!

KentPhil

Postby KentPhil » Mon Oct 15, 2012 22:28 pm

When are the 2013 Boardman bikes for sale? The current ones are all marked as 2011/12
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx
2004 Giant TCR

the playing mantis

Postby the playing mantis » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:55 am

im a newbie too, but i will give my opinion anyway:

if you are new to it, you wont see any benefit going above tiagra, 105 at an extreme push (or campag equivalents) groupset just for the sake of it. i cannot tell the difference between my 105 specced first bike i got a few months back, and tiagra specced ones i have borrowed from m8s and not really from higher specced ones either. imo, dont spend big just to improve the groupset, unless you are getting into it seriously. thats my philsophy at least. likewise it depends on what you are riding for. 'high end' groupsets are not really needed unless you are going to compete at a decent level. a leisure/fitness rider will be fine on anything i think.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”