Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8757
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby disgruntledgoat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 08:28 am

Bit of. Puff piece for the book, but some nice stuff about the family in there, I recognise the clowning about to avoid taking stuff seriously too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/02/bradley-wiggins-interview-tour
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

User avatar
No tA Doctor
Posts: 5484
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 am
Contact:

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby No tA Doctor » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:55 am

It's a good read. The clowning around stuff is a pretty typical introvert response to being put in the limelight. All the best comedians grew up as the weird kids that never felt they fitted in. The ones that don't end up in IT or as axe murderers at any rate. I'm in IT....

I can understand why he feels the way he does about doping rumours as well, though I'd have thought that a man with as refined a sense of cycling history would understand the concept of le patron a little better. Sorry Brad, but it comes with the jersey. It's not about getting on a soapbox, it's about the fact that you now speak for the entire sport - like it or not. I can't help thinking that the best option for him would be to actually sit down with someone like Walsh or Kimmage and talk about all the stuff he doesn't want to talk about, just to try and get it over with.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

User avatar
frenchfighter
Posts: 30000
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 17:35 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby frenchfighter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 15:18 pm

Its a long one so if you haven't the time, read:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13208 ... z2BAn8guBi

Choice quote :lol:
I wouldn't go to Monaco or anywhere like that. It's a shoot hole. I couldn't think of a worse place to live

He really is a normal bloke. Sometimes I worry at how hard a time he is having with himself with dealing with his new found fame.
Contador is the Greatest

User avatar
No tA Doctor
Posts: 5484
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 am
Contact:

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby No tA Doctor » Sat Nov 03, 2012 16:05 pm

According to the twitter taliban he's some sort of whingeing rich-boy now.

And apparently I'm a bracelet wearing fanboy for suggesting he's within his rights to eat a pizza with his kids in peace.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

User avatar
ddraver
Posts: 17381
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2005 15:57 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby ddraver » Sat Nov 03, 2012 16:14 pm

Oh That's YOU!!!!! Well Played sir btw!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

User avatar
No tA Doctor
Posts: 5484
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 am
Contact:

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby No tA Doctor » Sat Nov 03, 2012 16:20 pm

ddraver wrote:Oh That's YOU!!!!! Well Played sir btw!


I would have preferred "chapeau", but thanks anyway ;-)
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby Richmond Racer » Sat Nov 03, 2012 16:24 pm

No tA Doctor wrote:According to the twitter taliban he's some sort of whingeing rich-boy now.

And apparently I'm a bracelet wearing fanboy for suggesting he's within his rights to eat a pizza with his kids in peace.



They can fark right off. Utter knob heads :evil:

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8757
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby disgruntledgoat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 20:17 pm

That makes me angry... How can you believe a sportsman owes you something at the expense of his family?

Although, however much a sh!thole Monaco is, it can't hold a candle to Wigan... As the old Warrington chant will attest
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

mike6
Posts: 1198
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 19:00 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby mike6 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 20:50 pm

I think he really is just an ordinary bloke. I read his autobiography and the problems he had dealing with winning gold/s at the Olympic track races. The fact that being the Olympic champion did not make him or his life different did his head in, but he got over it. So I think he will keep his feet on the ground.
The problem is people expect top sportspeople to be extraordinary, whereas most, Wiggins especially, are just ordinary people who can do extraordinary things.
We expect too much of our sporting stars. As long as they don't cheat, and I dont believe Brad has, they are ok with me.
Let him be himself rather than a media slick automaton.

mroli
Posts: 3443
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 15:09 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby mroli » Sat Nov 03, 2012 21:30 pm

Just watching the tv program on him that Boulting narrated. Interesting that what he said in the Guardian is entirely consistent with what he said in 2007 - that he believes that his role as an ambassador in the sport is to continue competing and winning clean.

The reason that Wiggins is great is because he is an ordinary bloke, who loves his sport, who loves his family and just happens to be ******* amazing at riding a bike.

With the intrusion thing, I am mates with a minor tv "celebrity". We went to a funeral together in Cornwall and drove back and stopped at a motorway services on the way back. I went off to the bog and came back to see that he was being followed around by people filming him on their phones. He didn't say anything, but I just thought that even given the benefits of his work and lifestyle, that invasion of privacy would do my head in. If he snaps and tells a professional autograph hunter to f&*k off every now and then, so be it.

User avatar
Dave_1
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 16:04 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby Dave_1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 02:26 am

disgruntledgoat wrote:Bit of. Puff piece for the book, but some nice stuff about the family in there, I recognise the clowning about to avoid taking stuff seriously too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/02/bradley-wiggins-interview-tour


I agree..it's a bit of a puff piece. Not offense to fans of Wiggo, but I don't think I can stomach this style of interview given recent developments in the sport. The journo who wrote this piece needs to go back to read all the Lance features, which were all rubbish it turns out. Again, not saying Wiggins dopes, but do not ever hit me with Brad the great family man and regular bloke drivel...am not interested!

User avatar
OCDuPalais
Posts: 2230
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 23:10 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby OCDuPalais » Sun Nov 04, 2012 03:07 am

Dave_1 wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:Bit of. Puff piece for the book, but some nice stuff about the family in there, I recognise the clowning about to avoid taking stuff seriously too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/02/bradley-wiggins-interview-tour


I agree..it's a bit of a puff piece. Not offense to fans of Wiggo, but I don't think I can stomach this style of interview given recent developments in the sport. The journo who wrote this piece needs to go back to read all the Lance features, which were all rubbish it turns out. Again, not saying Wiggins dopes, but do not ever hit me with Brad the great family man and regular bloke drivel...am not interested!


With journalists up and down the country (and over the seas and far away) being charged with getting a story on Wiggo, maybe a touching tale of his devotion to his family (and it's roots) is all they could manage?
What story would you rather be "hit" with?

You've basically demonstrated the fuKcing impossible situation that exists with such figures and the media: and I particularly feel for the British cycling press right now. For years they knew that directly accusing Armstrong of doping would be catastrophic in terms of litigation and also damage readership figures (Armstrong on the cover of any publication meant increases in sales). Also, it would mean that Armstrong and his affiliates would blacklist them. So he couldn't be ignored and he couldn't be thoroughly investigated (unless you were one of a few renegades who were prepared to be ostracised).
Now that the British have had a World Champ and Tour winner (amongst other successes), the same journo's aren't allowed a smidgen of jingoism and national pride without being accused of profound naivety of potential doping complicity.

What's the story about Wiggins you would be interested in?

Richmond Racer
Posts: 8475
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 17:11 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby Richmond Racer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 07:13 am

Dave, every single cyclist winning big now is going to get dragged down by the whole Armstrong/doping stuff. I don't agree that the world has to stop and they all be sent into some kind of purgatory silence with blanket zero media coverage apart from race reports. Wiggo is probably the best thing going now to stop the non-cycling public in Britain at least (can't speak for the rest of the world) from thinking that every single cyclist riding now is juiced up to the gills. If Ryder H wasn't so bleeding dull they'd probably be doing the same with him in North America.

Just don't read it if you don't want to. I can't bear Bertie or Valverde - I just choose not to read any features or interviews on them rather than rail at the media for publishing anything about them.

User avatar
Crankbrother
Posts: 1678
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 21:42 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby Crankbrother » Sun Nov 04, 2012 08:49 am

Was a decent read for what it was ...

IF he can win the Giro then he goes down as a legend ... But if he wins next year's Giro it'll feel a bit by the numbers ... He needs to be humbled a bit on the bike ... and then come back a year or two down the line and show he has the guts for the fight, much like Evans ...

User avatar
disgruntledgoat
Posts: 8757
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 14:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby disgruntledgoat » Sun Nov 04, 2012 09:46 am

Crankbrother wrote:Was a decent read for what it was ...

IF he can win the Giro then he goes down as a legend ... But if he wins next year's Giro it'll feel a bit by the numbers ... He needs to be humbled a bit on the bike ... and then come back a year or two down the line and show he has the guts for the fight, much like Evans ...


I really don't understand why people seem to expect more from Wiggins than any other rider!

He comes 4th in the Tour, has two bad years then wins it and he needs to show he has "the guts for the fight"? Do you require all your other GT winners to be humbled before you think they're any good?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

User avatar
No tA Doctor
Posts: 5484
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:37 am
Contact:

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby No tA Doctor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 09:55 am

disgruntledgoat wrote:
Crankbrother wrote:Was a decent read for what it was ...

IF he can win the Giro then he goes down as a legend ... But if he wins next year's Giro it'll feel a bit by the numbers ... He needs to be humbled a bit on the bike ... and then come back a year or two down the line and show he has the guts for the fight, much like Evans ...


I really don't understand why people seem to expect more from Wiggins than any other rider!

He comes 3rd in the Tour, has two bad years then wins it and he needs to show he has "the guts for the fight"? Do you require all your other GT winners to be humbled before you think they're any good?


Just a quick fix for you.
“Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

@DrHeadgear

Steve Abraham's attempt at the year record

User avatar
Dave_1
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 16:04 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby Dave_1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:52 am

OCDuPalais wrote:
Dave_1 wrote:
disgruntledgoat wrote:Bit of. Puff piece for the book, but some nice stuff about the family in there, I recognise the clowning about to avoid taking stuff seriously too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/nov/02/bradley-wiggins-interview-tour


I agree..it's a bit of a puff piece. Not offense to fans of Wiggo, but I don't think I can stomach this style of interview given recent developments in the sport. The journo who wrote this piece needs to go back to read all the Lance features, which were all rubbish it turns out. Again, not saying Wiggins dopes, but do not ever hit me with Brad the great family man and regular bloke drivel...am not interested!


With journalists up and down the country (and over the seas and far away) being charged with getting a story on Wiggo, maybe a touching tale of his devotion to his family (and it's roots) is all they could manage?
What story would you rather be "hit" with?

You've basically demonstrated the fuKcing impossible situation that exists with such figures and the media: and I particularly feel for the British cycling press right now. For years they knew that directly accusing Armstrong of doping would be catastrophic in terms of litigation and also damage readership figures (Armstrong on the cover of any publication meant increases in sales). Also, it would mean that Armstrong and his affiliates would blacklist them. So he couldn't be ignored and he couldn't be thoroughly investigated (unless you were one of a few renegades who were prepared to be ostracised).
Now that the British have had a World Champ and Tour winner (amongst other successes), the same journo's aren't allowed a smidgen of jingoism and national pride without being accused of profound naivety of potential doping complicity.

What's the story about Wiggins you would be interested in?



I agree with you,it's sure a tricky one for journalists. Just think it's too soon after the Lance/USADA stuff, for me, to be reading articles raising Wiggo or any of them on to a pedestal.

User avatar
TailWindHome
Posts: 10571
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 08:57 am

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby TailWindHome » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:57 am

No tA Doctor wrote:According to the twitter taliban he's some sort of whingeing rich-boy now.

And apparently I'm a bracelet wearing fanboy for suggesting he's within his rights to eat a pizza with his kids in peace.



Hmmm. I'm not saying he's either right or wrong, but if Cav gave the same interview I think the forum's reaction would be a lot less favourable.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

User avatar
Dave_1
Posts: 9319
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 16:04 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby Dave_1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:57 am

Richmond Racer wrote:Dave, every single cyclist winning big now is going to get dragged down by the whole Armstrong/doping stuff. I don't agree that the world has to stop and they all be sent into some kind of purgatory silence with blanket zero media coverage apart from race reports. Wiggo is probably the best thing going now to stop the non-cycling public in Britain at least (can't speak for the rest of the world) from thinking that every single cyclist riding now is juiced up to the gills. If Ryder H wasn't so bleeding dull they'd probably be doing the same with him in North America.

Just don't read it if you don't want to. I can't bear Bertie or Valverde - I just choose not to read any features or interviews on them rather than rail at the media for publishing anything about them.


Yes, agree Wiggo is giving a huge boost to cycling in the UK now...and not saying he's doped..will see how articles are reviewed on here before I open the link..usually a fairly good sign of if it is worth a read

User avatar
OCDuPalais
Posts: 2230
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 23:10 pm

Re: Wiggins interview in the Guardian

Postby OCDuPalais » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 am

Dave_1 wrote:Just think it's too soon after the Lance/USADA stuff, for me, to be reading articles raising Wiggo or any of them on to a pedestal.


Fair do's.

It's a sorry stand off, though, ain't it!
On one side, there's certain teams and rider's agents - along with one or two self-aggrandising riders (Voigt and Voeckler, anyone?) - clamouring to rekindle reputations of pro cyclists as heroes of the road once more, and clean to boot!
On the other side, there's all us grumpy cynics with arms crossed, the lyrics 'Won't Get Fooled Again' running through our minds as we pronounce "bollokcs to your attempts to impress!".

With all the column inches that need filling, maybe they should stick to photos...?


Return to “Pro Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dailuggs, Grantmk, spaceman147, The Kennington Kaiser and 11 guests