Cycling Mags - Paper or Digital?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Xcelerator

Cycling Mags - Paper or Digital?

Postby Xcelerator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:33 pm

Hi all,

I have read a few threads on here about which are the "best" cycling magazines, but interested to know whether folk prefer traditional paper format or digital/iPad editions (or both).

Personally, I am still undecided. In many ways I want to go down the digital route (more convenient, less clutter in the house etc.) but then there is still an undeniable appeal of a paper edition, especially something like Procycling with its high quality paper.

No right or wrong, but what do you guys think?
Giant Defy 2

Paul 8v

Re: Cycling Mags - Paper or Digital?

Postby Paul 8v » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:42 pm

I still prefer reading a paper edition, if computer monitors were portrait rather than landscape it might be a bit better but I personally find it a pain in the ass!

KINGGARY

Postby KINGGARY » Tue Nov 06, 2012 13:50 pm

I tried cycling plus for 3 months on my ipad, slightly cheaper but I found I wasn't reading it as much?
I will be going back to the paper version as I found the font a bit small to be comfortable.
As I have a kindle and only read books on that now I thought I would take to it naturally but I didn't.
Also its cheaper to drop a magazine down the loo than an ipad :shock:

AchillesLeftKnee

Postby AchillesLeftKnee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:31 pm

I'm not about to take any of the PCs (or, for that matter, the Mac) to bed. I don't own a laptop and have no need for one. I've had access to plenty of tablets in the course of my work and can safely say I have no desire whatsoever to own one (although I will admit the original iPad makes a fabulous jumbo coaster). Smartphone... er, no.

Paper. By miles.
Mangeur

Leeuw

Postby Leeuw » Tue Nov 06, 2012 14:43 pm

There is something satisfying about thumbing a mag - I've tried digital versions on my iPad, but much prefer the "real" thing...

Wacky Racer

Postby Wacky Racer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 15:14 pm

Definitely the paper version for me. I can pick it up any time I want, not when I happen to be on the pc. I keep mine for quite a while, and sometimes refer back to them.
Ridley Orion

keef66

Postby keef66 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:26 pm

"Also its cheaper to drop a magazine down the loo than an ipad :shock:"

Yes, but the i-Wipe app is pretty good, you must admit!

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:50 pm

I hate paper. It's heavy, wasteful and hard to read in poor light.

Give me my iPad and an electronic copy of Rouleur any day. Also, I can carry all my magazines and books around with me. Try doing that with the last few years of Procycling or whatever your favourite happens to be.

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:52 pm

keef66 wrote:"Also its cheaper to drop a magazine down the loo than an ipad :shock:"

Yes, but the i-Wipe app is pretty good, you must admit!

You must have a big loo. My iPad won't fit down mine (unlike my son's iPod, phone and Nintendo DS, all of which have had to be fished out in the past :( ).

dodgy

Postby dodgy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 16:58 pm

Electronic for me, but since Tour-QTR stopped publishing its iPad app in English I don't buy any. All the UK cycling mags such as Cycling+ etc are derivative with subjective assessments of everything they test "it felt stiff, the frame is comfortable". Give me strength.

If tour-QTR start publishing again, I'll be straight back with them. If you're wondering what I'm on about, check out their site, they published one of their mags on the site for free.

MoscowFlyer

Postby MoscowFlyer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 17:40 pm

iPad for me other than Cyclist and Rouleur, as they just feel like quality magazines and as such should be read in paper form. Cycle Sport, C+ and a few US titles will always be electronic though.

Joeblack

Postby Joeblack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 18:27 pm

You paper guzzlers are all contributing to global warming and killing our planet you should be ashamed, I don't even use paper to wipe my ar2e anymore!!!!

iPad for me, it's very convenient esp when I'm flying all over the world on my private jet ;)
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Proff

Postby Proff » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:17 pm

Being a magazine printer, its paper for me!
I know that eventually digital will win the day, but hopefully not until I've retired! :lol:
Just one note though. Most paper today comes from managed forests. More trees get planted than felled.
Paper is recycleable. I reckon a lot of broken and damaged iPads and tablets will end up in landfill. :wink:

ovi

Postby ovi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:19 pm

I use a galaxy tab 10.1 and prefer reading this in bed, no bedside light to mess about with good if you wake up in the middle of the night, hold tablet in different ways, zoom in if needed, click on internet links/youtube link, no magazine flopping about and if you get sick of reading current mag just buy another without leaving the house.

Joeblack

Postby Joeblack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:36 pm

Proff wrote:Being a magazine printer, its paper for me!
I know that eventually digital will win the day, but hopefully not until I've retired! :lol:
Just one note though. Most paper today comes from managed forests. More trees get planted than felled.
Paper is recycleable. I reckon a lot of broken and damaged iPads and tablets will end up in landfill. :wink:

On what do you base this?

kayo74

Postby kayo74 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:42 pm

Only one choice paper.

Velonutter
Lives Here

Postby Velonutter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:46 pm

I bought my iPad specifically for this purpose, but the problem is that all the mags and the comic need a subscription for a minimum of 3 months and to be truthful, I only buy the mags if I think that edition is useful.

If I could buy the mag I want after viewing the index then I would do so and would never buy another paper mag.

Proff

Postby Proff » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:55 pm

Joeblack wrote:
Proff wrote:Being a magazine printer, its paper for me!

On what do you base this?

Just personal opinion. Large electrical items would generally be taken to local refuse sites due to their size. Small electrical items, I reckon, will just be tossed in the bin.
I could be wrong though. The wife generally says I am. :)

Joeblack

Postby Joeblack » Tue Nov 06, 2012 20:21 pm

What's her name? She sounds suspiciously like my wife!!!!?

Yh I don't know either tbh I was just wondering

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 21:25 pm

My love of reading Cycling Weekly (the one true cycling publication!) in paper form does conflict with my enthusiastic environmentalism (even if only on a 'reduce reuse recycle' level), but I don't yet own an iPad...

Return to “Road General”