Speed sensor issues....

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
TheFD

Speed sensor issues....

Postby TheFD » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:20 pm

I have this sensor on my bike which I use with my turbo trainer and garmin 500. It has stopped working and it seems that it has either got a little water inside or the battery has leaked a little. I suspect it is more likely that water has got in.

I really want/need one for use with my turbo!

Does anyone know if I should hold out any hope that a night on the radiator will dry it out and allow it to work or should I write it off?

It does seem a bit of a weakness of this sensor that water could get in.

If it is written off can anyone suggest a cheap but reliable speed sensor? I also already have a cadence sensor so only need a speed sensor ANT+.
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

wilo13

Re: Speed sensor issues....

Postby wilo13 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 23:21 pm

Why don't you get the Garmin Cadence/speed sensor which does both, much less fathing around then. I think its called the GSC10 cadence/speed sensor. Its about 25 quid.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

TheFD

Postby TheFD » Thu Nov 08, 2012 07:22 am

Thanks - I may look into it for future. Do you use it? Any good?

I have managed to revive my sensor after a couple of hours on the radiator. So at the moment it works.
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 22:13 pm

TheFD wrote:Thanks - I may look into it for future. Do you use it? Any good?

I have managed to revive my sensor after a couple of hours on the radiator. So at the moment it works.

Yes I had one and it worked great for 1 1/2 years then the speed sensor packed in. The cadence sensor was fine but it stopped recording speed. After searching on the internet it seems this was a common problem. The issue with a lot of sensors is they dont cope very well in bad weather and they usually pack in after a few years of daily abuse. I guess cheaply made electronic components from China are not designed to be waterproof. I have a Trek though and bought one of these 'Dutotrap bontrager sensors' which actually fits into the frame of my Trek Madone. Its quite a neat design meaning very little of the sensor is exposed so hopefully this one will last. I suspect I will be replacing it in a year....
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

Return to “Road General”