ANT+ Compatible Computer for Powermeter

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
taimur

ANT+ Compatible Computer for Powermeter

Postby taimur » Fri Nov 09, 2012 14:47 pm

Hi
I am curious about the Powercal HRM and itching to try it out. I have decided to go ahead with it but cant decide which way to go where the computer is concerned. Ultimately i will go for a Powertap wheel so i want the computer to be ANT+

I had convinced myself on the Garmin800 but its expensive and in my opinion the extra money is only justified with navigation which i cant use AT ALL (not available in my country).

So now i am looking at Garmin 500. The price range seems to be 120-150 with cadence and HRM sensors.

Question is, is there a better alternative? looked at Cycleops Jule, looks lacking and boring.

Any recommendations on Edge500 or alternatives?

thanks
1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components

LegendLust

Re: ANT+ Compatible Computer for Powermeter

Postby LegendLust » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:01 pm

I've just done exactly the same - bought a PowerCal along with a Garmin 500. It's been great so far.

Bear in mind you don't need the HRM for the Garmin as the PowerCal is already an HRM strap. I bought the Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor but you don't need this because the Garmin can pick your speed up from GPS - although it's nit 100% accurate.

All in all I'm really happy with both buys so far

pilch

Postby pilch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 15:03 pm

705 recon

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=6399

I've got one, difficult to tell that its not brand new TBH, works perfectly with powertap hub, it will cost extra for the cadence sensor though, but worth it IMO as the setup is simple and well integrated.
A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer

taimur

Postby taimur » Sat Nov 10, 2012 05:13 am

is 705 ANT+ compatible?
Never considered 705 because when i was searching i found no infoconfirming that its ANT+ and will work with powercal.

danowat

Postby danowat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 07:34 am

The powercal? oh dear...........

mfin

Postby mfin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 08:34 am

I dont get the Powercal either. If you have HRM then you already know HR. But isn't all Powercal is doing is performing a bit of maths on you HR info in order to display a power figure on your computer??

I don't know much about it, but if all it does is sense HR and do maths on it, I assume with resting HR, Max HR, Weight, (and Speed etc?) then that's never gonna be accurate. Although to a 12 year old it would be fantastic to be able to see a figure that said 'Watts' on it.

Perhaps Ive got it wrong and Powercal does something else. ...but anything that works out by Equations like that would be a bit of fun at best?? I mean, when so much of effort is down to overcoming drag (air drag, not dressing up), I don't see how anything can work properly unless it actually measures the power itself. At the moment the place to measure it is at the Cranks, well, I assume it is as that's what every pro seems to use.

I suppose its cheap though, and some people will enjoy having another number to look at and enjoy 'number goes up, number goes down'.

(I want to borrow one and cycle along, and not breathe properly which will change HR, perhaps chat to a cycling buddy and mysteriously see my Watts go up, or have a Yawn and see them go down).

danowat

Postby danowat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:39 pm

It's a load of old ****, doesn't do anything a vanilla HRM does apart from give you a figure plucked out of some equation, no better than a random number generator.

If you are going to use HR, use HR, if you are going to use power, use power.

taimur

Postby taimur » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:23 pm

Well i am neither rich enough nor serious enough, to invest in the full wheel + hub etc just yet. at 10% cost of the wheel, it makes allot more sense to me right now

From the reviews and user reviews by people who own both the powertap wheel as well as powercal: the variable seems to be in the maximum bracket of 2-3%. SInce i am no pro, powercal makes the most sense at this time. Its just another measure that i would like to have.

danowat

Postby danowat » Sat Nov 10, 2012 18:33 pm

2-3%? That's not what I've heard, more like within 20-30w......

HR is a result of what you are doing (plus a number of other external factors), not an indication of how hard you are pushing the pedals, power isn't something you can guess, it is what it is.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”