Internal cable routing??

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
wellbeloved747

Internal cable routing??

Postby wellbeloved747 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 19:08 pm

Today i took delivery f the following frame.
http://www.flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=308&id=1061
The outer cable stops by the head tube and goes into an in frame cable stop that can not be removed. then the inner passes through the inside of the frame and then out on the back of the chain stay. same with front derailleur and era brake.

I will use some gore ride-on outer housing from the shifter to fram cable stop and the chain stay to rear derailleur.
thats the situation.
my questions are.

1. when inside the frame does the inner need to be inside any thing. if so how the hell do i install it.

2. the hole by the cable stop is about 1.5mm so how can i fish it out? as it sound impossible.

there are a few holes where the cables are routed is this to install something??

philthy3

Re: Internal cable routing??

Postby philthy3 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:14 am

If I understand your question correctly you're saying there is no inner sleeve to assist you feeding the cable through?

The solution I use is to get a length of cotton and use a vacuum to suck it through. Tie the other end around the cable inner and pull it through gently. The inner inside the frame doesn't need any sleeve.
We're all buffoons; some slightly less than others.

wellbeloved747

Postby wellbeloved747 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 09:16 am

ok will it not rub on the carbon fibre once tension is applied?

pinarellokid

Postby pinarellokid » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:46 am

+1 ABOVE...

how much did this cost posted.???
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

bikaholic

Postby bikaholic » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 am

There will be pressure applied from the [shielded] cable at where it touches the internal surfaces of the frame (mainly at the BB bend), however, so long as there is no cable movement, there will be very little, if any damage from cable rub.

If you're using Gore Ride-on, then you will need to run the liner from shifter to derailleur in one continuous length.

In order to do that, you need to widen the cablestop holes with a 2mm drill bit. Then thread the frame with cotton/vacuum as philthy3 suggested (I use a piece of 1.5mm gauge wire myself) so that you can pull a used spare length of standard gear inner cable through.

Once the spare gear inner cable is threaded into the frame, tape the bit that pokes out at the derailleur end and then slide the Gore Ride-on liner over it: the spare inner cable is now acting as the cable guide.

Once the Gore Ride-on liner is threaded into the frame, remove the spare length of gear inner cable.

If there is enough clearance at the BB bend, then use a segment of Gore Ride-on outer or tape to act as padding protection against internal frame rub.

Internal routed frames need setup to be done in a particular order, to do it in one go, on the first try as threading and unthreading the frame can lead to a lot frustration. So, spend time and do a dry run in your mind on how you intend to approach the setup.

wellbeloved747

Postby wellbeloved747 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 16:41 pm

frame was 290 delivered
Took it to lbs to do as i didn't want to fool it up :)

Return to “Workshop”