Idiot down

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
CiB

Idiot down

Postby CiB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 19:29 pm

My turn. Nearly home, decided to do a bit of a detour as it was so nice being back on the bike after a 3 week gap. Got to the little roundabout not far from home, scrubbed off what felt like enough speed to get round it only to hear that unwelcome sound of tyres sliding across the damp tarmac,followed quite soon after by the loud bang of bike + yours truly hitting the deck and adding a couple more yards to the journey as separate items. Bollox.

Half a dozen cuts round the hands & fingers, a large dose of skin missing from the right knee & right hip, and a nice gash on the left shin where it met the bottle holder at pace. Haven't dared look at the bike yet; I only built it up on Friday and can't face the idea of it being damaged so soon.

Stay safe kids, and don't ride like a chuffing numpty. You know it makes sense.

:(

Veronese68
Lives Here

Re: Idiot down

Postby Veronese68 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 19:35 pm

Bloody hell CiB. Have you not been paying attention? You're supposed to keep it rubber side down.
In all seriousness glad you're not more badly hurt and I hope you heal fast. Obviously wish the bike all the best too.

jimmypippa

Postby jimmypippa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 19:35 pm

I always dislike cycling in November, loads of allen leaves on the roads for added fun.

Glad you are OKish, hope the bike is too.

Bet you're sore though

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 19:55 pm

I hate this time of year too, all that sludge and peds dressed head to toe in black.

Hope you feel better soon and the bike is ok.

Stay safe people
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:03 pm

jimmypippa wrote:I always dislike cycling in November, loads of allen leaves on the roads for added fun.

Allen leaves?

CiB - you join an exclusive and unenviable club. I welcome you!

PS - glad no major damage......
Faster than a tent.......

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:11 pm

I love you Rolf! Tell me you scissored those leaves for a post-pun!
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:27 pm

SimonAH wrote:I love you Rolf! Tell me you scissored those leaves for a post-pun!

I really hope so. If he did he deserves some sort of commendation.

dee4life2005

Postby dee4life2005 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 21:01 pm

Veronese68 wrote:
SimonAH wrote:I love you Rolf! Tell me you scissored those leaves for a post-pun!

I really hope so. If he did he deserves some sort of commendation.

+1 ... genius.

CiB

Postby CiB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 21:08 pm

All well, sort of. The right leg took the brunt of it but the amount of dark oily water on otherwise unmarked skin down there shows the cause - it must have been close to ice rink levels of slipperiness on the roundabout; I really wasn't going that fast. Superficial skin loss is the worst of it, and those antiseptic wipes don't half sting esp on fist sized ares of road rash. Bike seems to have emerged virtually unscathed apart from a minor scuff on the saddle and the leading edge of the r/h brake lever being filed down to bare aluminium. I rode it the rest of the way home [at a steadier pace obviously] and it was ok.

Like the allen leaves. Neat.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Nov 13, 2012 21:13 pm

Lol :lol: - sadly I didn't do them myself. I'm too much of a scientist not to know that if I google hexagonal leaves, I will instantly find that someone has already made allen key shaped leaves for me; it was inevitable. The internet can be very satisfying!
Faster than a tent.......

jimmypippa

Postby jimmypippa » Tue Nov 13, 2012 21:23 pm

Rolf F wrote:Lol :lol: - sadly I didn't do them myself. I'm too much of a scientist not to know that if I google hexagonal leaves, I will instantly find that someone has already made allen key shaped leaves for me; it was inevitable. The internet can be very satisfying!

Rule 34

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Tue Nov 13, 2012 22:13 pm

Veronese68 wrote:Bloody hell CiB. Have you not been paying attention? You're supposed to keep it rubber side down.
In all seriousness glad you're not more badly hurt and I hope you heal fast. Obviously wish the bike all the best too.

He did. He was in the gimp suit for the Tuesday night swinging sesh and got confused.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Initialised

Postby Initialised » Tue Nov 13, 2012 22:28 pm

CiB wrote:My turn. Nearly home, decided to do a bit of a detour as it was so nice being back on the bike after a 3 week gap. Got to the little roundabout not far from home, scrubbed off what felt like enough speed to get round it only to hear that unwelcome sound of tyres sliding across the damp tarmac,followed quite soon after by the loud bang of bike + yours truly hitting the deck and adding a couple more yards to the journey as separate items. Bollox.

Half a dozen cuts round the hands & fingers, a large dose of skin missing from the right knee & right hip, and a nice gash on the left shin where it met the bottle holder at pace. Haven't dared look at the bike yet; I only built it up on Friday and can't face the idea of it being damaged so soon.

Stay safe kids, and don't ride like a chuffing numpty. You know it makes sense.

:(
Must be something in the air, same thing happened to me on the way home, lost it on a mini roundabout, same speed, angle and line as usual. What just happened, why are my wheels feeling like that, I'm going over aren't I, topple, crunch, you all right mate from the car behind. How I managed to land on my left side on a right hand turn I don't understand. Road felt slippery as I got up so probably fuel or oil rather than general road crud. Not to much damage, bike if fine, sore thumbs and wrist, bruise under my right knee on the inside, aggravated my left hip and shoulder. Damage to pride may suffer for a while.

Winter is here and I think I need one of these:

I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Nov 13, 2012 22:36 pm

Holey Moley, everybody - what are you all doing???

Glad to hear no one is seriously hurt in today's batch - I'm just on Wiggle now ordering up the body armour.

Seriously, take care and get well soon. I think we all need to expect the unexpected in November
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Sketchley

Postby Sketchley » Tue Nov 13, 2012 22:43 pm

Starting to think my normal plan of beer and fried crispy dead animal during November and December, followed my new year resolution to cycle more is actually a good plan....

Hope you heal up soon, given recent events glad to hear it is not life changing.....
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

CiB

Postby CiB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 22:52 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:
Veronese68 wrote:Bloody hell CiB. Have you not been paying attention? You're supposed to keep it rubber side down.

He did. He was in the gimp suit for the Tuesday night swinging sesh and got confused.

Tuesday is Tuesday. We were there; where were you? There were some disappointed men tonight, not to mention the lizard.

:wink:

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:35 pm

Glad to hear that you didn't fare too badly CIB. Your account reminded me of a similar incident that took place many years ago while I was out riding with my best mate. Like you he took a tumble on a roundabout, and like you it was more a case of hurt pride than major physical damage. I shall never forget his indignation as he picked himself up saying "I was riding well with the design parameters of my bike!" You won't be surprised to learn that he was and remains an engineer by profession. Nor will you be surprised to know that I have never let him forget it. :wink:
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:40 pm

Rolf F wrote:CiB - you join an exclusive and unenviable club. I welcome you!

Sadly not that exclusive - do we need a Your Roadrash Pics Here thread? Possibly Not.

PS, Someone needs to get onto Conti or Schwalbe and get them to develop an Autumn-specific commuting tyre capable of gripping on wet leaf-strewn roads, perhaps with some sort of micro-spikes - working product name GAF: Grippy As F***.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

Initialised

Postby Initialised » Tue Nov 13, 2012 23:46 pm

rjsterry wrote:
Rolf F wrote:CiB - you join an exclusive and unenviable club. I welcome you!

Sadly not that exclusive - do we need a Your Roadrash Pics Here thread? Possibly Not.

We have one, but Silly Commuting Injuries I believe. About to add today's bruise to it.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

PBo

Postby PBo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 07:14 am

Rolf F wrote:
jimmypippa wrote:I always dislike cycling in November, loads of allen leaves on the roads for added fun.

Allen leaves?

CiB - you join an exclusive and unenviable club. I welcome you!

Nobody has asked the important question.....

Why does it say "breast" on that bit of card behind the bottom Allen leaf?

Ps - glad your ok etc.

Return to “Commuting Chat”